• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Deep Space Nine

I'd doubt that they wash dishes by hand. It's all probably recycled. "Bussing" would take about 15 to 20 seconds. :)

I have *never* heard anyone say "I love bussing tables so much, I would do it even if they didn't pay me."

When Andy Kaufman was on Taxi, he got a job bussing tables so he felt he was earning an honest living and would have something to fall back on.
:rolleyes:

As for the whole doing dishes thing in ST, I think they just dump everything back in the replicator.

It seems to me that every Utopian society has Morlocks lurking under the surface.
Well, I will dig up the link later. Morlock, thats from LOTR?

Try "The Time Machine" by H. G. Wells. The Morlocks were canibals and eat the people who lived on the surface. :devil: :eek:

I think that the point was:

If there is no money, then you need to get *some* job just to buy food etc., then why take a job doing something unpleasant and uninteresting when remaining unemployed is an equally viable option?

Exactly. Why would I bus tables, cut potatoes, work on garbage reclamation systems (or whatever they're called in trekese) when I can lay on my but, eat whatever I want from the community replicator, and spend all my free time sleeping with fantasy women (hell, maybe even men too) in the holo-suites?

I think this kinda fits along with the idea, but there was a Voyager episode that touched on this subject. It showed what happened to all the EMH's (emergency medical hologram) after they were discontinued and updated. All of the holograms were used as slave labor for mining. So perhaps they have "artificial" means of supplying alot of the blue collar work.

Which sorta touches on the subject of slave labor -- if you believe that the EMHs, like Data, are sentient. But even if the EMHs do all the menial labor, then someone has to at least do maintenance on them, or program them, or oversee them, or construct the holo-emitters that allow them to operate... who's gonna want to do that in paradise?

Which sorta touches on the subject of slave labor -- if you believe that the EMHs, like Data, are sentient. But even if the EMHs do all the menial labor, then someone has to at least do maintenance on them, or program them, or oversee them, or construct the holo-emitters that allow them to operate... who's gonna want to do that in paradise?

The NCO's from the enlisted ranks. They are the ones who usually "volunteer." :D

In the Star Trek future, people actually want to earn their keep, and no one would just take advantage of the technology to lay around and do nothing, because they all want to "better themselves."

I think the point is that not only our technology and political system evolves, but our basic nature does as well.

In the Star Trek future, people actually want to earn their keep, and no one would just take advantage of the technology to lay around and do nothing, because they all want to "better themselves."

Then how do you explain people like Harry Mudd and other various (human) criminals that we've seen throughout the trek series?

I think the point is that not only our technology and political system evolves, but our basic nature does as well.

I think that's what Gene envisioned, but the humans on the Trek series don't seem to be any more morally evolved than most of us... Kirk would sleep with any woman, any where, any time, regardless of the consequences... Bones was a bigot... Picard was a condescending morally righteous blowhard.... hell, Janeway even murdered a man.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The NCO's from the enlisted ranks. They are the ones who usually "volunteer."

Why would they use holograms?

In the Voyager episode (I can't remember the name of it) they replaced all of the EMH's with new ones and someone in Starfleet found a use for them mining. I guess it was just convinient instead of scrapping them all. Of course they don't explain how long or hard it was to outfit a mining colony with holo-emitters.

That does not make sense. The only reason holograms can even intract with matter is by using forcefields, so why use holograms? Just use a automated machine that uses forcefields to rip apart the rock, and totally skip the hologram part, not to mention the AI. The only reason Voyager had holograms used as slave labor was to play on your feelings.

Yeah, I always despised the whole oppressed hologram Data-ripoff on Voyager. The only decent Alpha Quadrant episode from Voyager was "Message in a Bottle", and that's just 'cause the two EMHs had a good amount of chemistry.

*Pulls the thread out of the trash.*

Since season 3 comes out next week (In the US.) I thought I'd remind everyone... well everyone who looks in this thread. :p

Anyway, I'm really looking foreward to this season... from what I've read it starts to get really interesting..... and I think they finally started using CGI for this season.

I almost can't wait to see the Defiant whoopin some a$$. :devil:

*Pulls the thread out of the trash.*

Since season 3 comes out next week (In the US.) I thought I'd remind everyone... well everyone who looks in this thread. :p

Anyway, I'm really looking foreward to this season... from what I've read it starts to get really interesting..... and I think they finally started using CGI for this season.

I almost can't wait to see the Defiant whoopin some a$$. :devil:

Back