• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Hidden out-takes on S3 in R2?

Hi guys and gals,

have heard some rumblings that the R2 set contains a hidden out-take reel on one of the discs.

If this is true, can anyone tell me how to find it, please.

I know this takes away the feeling of achievement in discovering it for myself, but frankly I just don't have the time to go hunting for it, nor any idea how I might access "hidden" features on a DVD of any description.

Thanks in advance.

If it is not true (and is another of those great B5 urban myths) that will be a shame but ... hey, what can you do!!

Cheers,

Assuming it is in the same place as the rest of the season boxed sets, then I am not surprised there is something "hidden" on season three. I haven't verified this myself but this is what dvdeastereggs.com says to do:

On disc six go to the "Special Features" page. Then select "The Universe of Babylon 5" page and go to the "Data Files" page. Highlight "The Battle for Babylon 5" and click down to highlight a Babylon 5 logo. Press enter on the logo to go to the gag reel.

Monica is correct. There have been Easter Eggs on all of the R1 sets, and there have/will be on all sets in all regions starting with S2. The first season R1 set only featured a short promo for the series, so fans elsewhere didn't miss a great deal.

Since S2 short (approximately 3 minute) out-take reels have been hidden in one of the extra features sub-menus on the 6th disc of each set. You go to a menu under the "Universe of Babylon 5" menu, then use the arrow keys on your remote to move to an "empty" part of the screen. When a stylized "5" appears you hit "enter" and the Easter Egg starts.

I'm not sure why there were no bloopers on the first season set (maybe Warner Bros. didn't bother trying to get permission from the actors because they weren't sure how well it would sell.) But there is no reason for Warner Bros. to stop including the bloopers now, and there is even reason to hope that they'll try to do some S1 bloopers on a future release - either the S5 set or on a Gathering disc if they ever decide to revisit that as a a special edition.

Regards,

Joe

But there is no reason for Warner Bros. to stop including the bloopers now, and there is even reason to hope that they'll try to do some S1 bloopers on a future release - either the S5 set or on a Gathering disc if they ever decide to revisit that as a a special edition.

Regards,

Joe

What do you mean by Special Edition of The Gathering? Like 5.1 sounds etc.? Because as far as I know, the R1 version of The Gathering is special edition, Franke's music etc. whereas R2 version is the original version.

Yes, the DVD was the "Special Edition" in terms of the re-editing and re-scoring of it that was done for SciFi. I believe Joe was referring to a DVD special edition.

What do you mean by Special Edition of The Gathering? Like 5.1 sounds etc.? Because as far as I know, the R1 version of The Gathering is special edition, Franke's music etc. whereas R2 version is the original version.

You're kidding me - Warner's released the original version of The Gathering for R2? How amazingly dense can you get?

Given that the original version had been out on VHS in the UK for several years, was available for just a few pounds and is generally considered inferior to the "re-mixed" version that seems incredibly short-sighted, particularly bearing in mind that ItB and tG were separate releases at £15 each, rather than one double-sided disc costing $15.

Personally, even lacking a player to play it on, I bought the R1 version as I figured that was the best way to get my purchase to count in the assessment of whether to release the entire series on DVD, but I can imagine a great many people won't even have known the intentions behind the release, just went ahead and got ripped of by the R2 version.

Cheers,

Oh ... and Thanks very much Lyta - exactly where you said it would be. Great stuff!!

as far as I know, the R1 version of The Gathering is special edition, Franke's music etc. whereas R2 version is the original version.

My 2p.

I've got the R2 version of the Gathering, and although it is not stated in the packaging, it IS the Special Edition.

Plus as said before, no extras and bad transfer. We must get a The Gathering Special Edition - Special Edition DVD.

Defectivehead

Please forgive my ignorance, but I'm new here. How do I tell R1 from R2 (The Gathering, right?). And the blooper reels started with the S2 DVD set, yes?
Confused, but willing to learn.
Thanks!

Please forgive my ignorance, but I'm new here. How do I tell R1 from R2 (The Gathering, right?). And the blooper reels started with the S2 DVD set, yes?
Confused, but willing to learn.
Thanks!
The Region 2 (R2 - Europe & Other places) versions of The Gathering and In The Beginning were released as separate DVDs costing around £15-18 each, whereas the Region 1 (R1 - USA/Canada) versions were released as a single DVD with one movie on each side of the disc at just $15.

AFAIK, the Blooper reels did indeed start with season 2.

HTH,

Yes, when I said "special edition" I meant a special edition in DVD terms - extras, commentary, maybe an audio remix.

I've heard conflicting reports about what is on the non-R1 edition of The Gathering. Can someone definitively answer this one? The re-edit has a Christopher Franke score, which is probably be the most obvious difference. I thought that only R1 got the re-edit, which has never aired or been released outside of North America as far as I know. TNT paid for the re-edit, Warner Bros. owns it, there probably wasn't any great demand for it back overseas back in 1999 and my assumption was that nobody thought it worth the trouble and expense of converting this version to PAL for a seemingly non-existant overseas market. But I've been wrong before.

And yes, the Blooper reels started with season 2.

Regards,

Joe

There may be differences between the English language R2 and other versions of "The Gathering"

German Amazon.de

Sell/sold both.

Converting a film to PAL is cheap. It takes less than a day. Redubbing a film is much more expensive.

The UK DVD shows Lyta watching a drug smuggler getting captured. In the VHS she gets to walk through aliens sector and see some second rate muppets.

Right. Thanks, Andrew, now I remember. The non-English editions of The Gathering are the old version. Amazon in Germany sells the native German version as well as the U.K. edition as an import. Since the re-edited version was never bought for broadcast outside the English-speaking world (AFAIK) it was never dubbed into any other language, hence the use of the original edit in some countries.

Yet another reason for fans to start agitating now for new, further enhanced re-releases of TG and ItB, as well as "special edition" versions of the remaining movies with extras. If there's enough interest maybe someone will spend the money to redub it. (I wonder if the success of the DVDs has led to stations returning B5 to the air in any of the countries where it hasn't played lately. If they could also air TG some of the TV stations might be willing to contribute to dubbing the 1998 version into the local languages.)

Regards,

Joe

A further confusion is that the R2 DVD box has the wrong composer on it.

The music on the two versions is different. I have just enjoyed watching the film again.

A further confusion is that the R2 DVD box has the wrong composer on it.

So does the R1 box - and the boxes for all of the U.S. VHS editions, for that matter.

* The first production run of the Columbia House mail-order VHS edition of The Gathering contained the original cut. Warner Bros. then replaced the master with the re-edit at JMS's request in time for the next run of tapes - but they never changed the box.

* The Warner Bros. VHS tape sold in retail stores also had the credits for the original version on the box, even though the only version they released was the re-edit.

* The R1 DVD has the original version credits. (Which aren't limited to the wrong composer. There are a number of other supplemental credits for the revised version that should be there and aren't.) I just don't think that Warner Bros. ever updated their marketing and home video databases when The Gathering was recut because they never anticipated that it would be released on home video. As long as the actual film had the right credits they were happy. (This would also be a consequence of Warner Bros.'s different departments effectively working as separate companies. If the TV division never updated whoever controls the boilerplate marketing stuff, then that department would have handed the wrong info to the packaging division at home video. It is very likely that nobody who actually knew anything about the series was involved at any step of the process. :))

Regards,

Joe

I don't know where some of you got your R2 DVDs of TG from, but mine is the original version; music, dubbing and G'Kar invoking privacy (which I believe was cut from the re-edit).

Is the new version really available in the UK? if so, I shall have to find it.

I don't know where some of you got your R2 DVDs of TG from, but mine is the original version; music, dubbing and G'Kar invoking privacy (which I believe was cut from the re-edit).

Is the new version really available in the UK? if so, I shall have to find it.
Yes
www.amazon.co.uk

... which has never aired or been released outside of North America as far as I know.
It has certainly been aired in the UK.

When Bravo (in its wisdom) decided B5 was a good fit with its usual heady mix of cheap filler shows about sex, doing stupid things and "bloke-culture", they began their run with an 18 hour marathon kicking off with the re-editted version of The Gathering and running through to Legacies.

Unfortunately, it didn't take them long to discover that their usual core audience just isn't interested in a show like this, and it was soon banished to the daytime and late night schedule.

:rolleyes:

For the bloopers on season 2, you go to the Universe of Babylon 5, Datafiles and highlight Project Lazarus, then push cursor to the left to get the B5 logo and hit enter :)

Whoo-Ho :D :D :D :D

Doing the Happy Dance :) ;) :) ;) :)

I would just like to thank everyone on this thread for making me aware that the re-edit of 'The Gathering' could be got on R2 DVD. If this discussion hadn't started, I would hve gone on watching my original version quite meekly and accepting the fact that I proably would not get the chance to view the new version.

Today I got the DVD from Amazon and have just watched it.

Oh my :eek:

There are quite a lot of changes, but I definately like it. The only problem now is that I have two DVDs that are identical in packaging and I don't know which is which. I shall have to put a sticker on one of them.

Anyone else have as many copies as I have, because I got it on video as well.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back