• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Grindhouse

GKarsEye

Regular
So, any other fans of Rodriguez (the El Mariachi series), Tarantino, and trashy exploitation films in general?

Saw this double-feature thing today and it freakin' kicks ass. It's basically a long love-poem to the 70s/early 80s low-rent horror and action movies that were show on the cheapest theaters in urban areas ("grindhouses").

The beginning of Salon.com's review sums up the essence of this movie brilliantly:

Contemporary audiences have become spoiled by movies that make sense, have great acting, and feature nudity only when absolutely necessary: No wonder hardly anyone goes to the movies anymore.

So the first film is Rodriguez', it's called Planet Terror, and it's about how some chemicals turn people into zombies. The badass who leads the charge to defend a group of survivors will be recognised by Six Feet Under fans as the actor who plays Federico. I just finished watching season 4 of SFU, the first season where his character has something kinda interesting to do, and it's a kick seeing the litte fellar as an action hero. Of course the real star here is Rose McGowan as a go-go dancer who loses a leg. The image of her with a machine gun for a leg is the big iconic image of the movie.

She is a fantastic screen presence and, yes, incredibly hot. I regret not making her one of my choices for the "hot-off" contest in NC-17.

grindhouse20nj5.png

A very fun bit of eye-candy.

Tarantino's film is called Death Proof and it's a completely different feel. The only thing they have in common is that McGowan is also in Death Proof (albeit in a much smaller role, wereas she is the star of Planet Terror) and a couple of characters from Planet Terror make a cameo appearance. The movie is about two groups of girls who get terrorised by a maniac on the road. Some of the girls include Rosario Dawson (and NC-17 readers can imagine how happy I was to see her) and Sydney Potier (daughter of Sidney) who is absolutely gorgeous. Kurt Russell, my second favorite actor ever (after Shatner) is in this one and he is, of course, awesome. The centerpiece is the auto action- phenomenal car chases and car fights. My one complaint about this movie was that there was a lot of dialogue and little of it was interesting or funny enough to be worth the screen time. For example, there is a shot of the second group of girls talking with the camera spinning around them, like the opening to Reservoir Dogs. But the dialogue isn't anywhere near as funny as the Madonna dialogue in RD.

The end sequence of Death Proof, however, more than made up for it.

There are also 4 trailors for fake movies made by guest directores Eli Roth, Rob Zombie and others, which are all very funny. The one called Thanksgiving is everyone's favorite, and it's great, but I really got a kick out of Machete, which featured the tag line, "They've f___ with the wrong Mexican!"

From what I read, and from the empty seats in my showing, it looks like this movie is flopping. I don't get it- are people really happy with the soul-less schlock of PG-13 faux-sci-fi comic book fare and empty, shallow "message" films that exist only to beg to win little phallic statues on TV?

Do yourselves a favor and grab your friends (the ones with a sense of humor, not the pretentious uptight ones) and go see this, then hit the local bar. This flick is a perfect way to start a night out with your buddies. It's got babes, explosions, monsters, cars, Kurt Russell, and something that very few movies have these days- entertainment value.

I thought the previews looked good but have told since that :( it's pretty "bloody"... I'm not into that as a rule. If it is that gory, it would just have to be an awfully good story for me to get all the way through it. Truth be told, I generally do more hiding than watching when it comes to those kinds of movies... either peeking through my fingers or with my face buried in someone's chest! ....:D Now that I think about it, it might be a good "date" movie!

Well of course it's bloody- that's the fun! These movies aren't about showing "just enough" to get the story across or whatever, the whole point is the blood, gore, action and hot chicks.

The stories are very stupid, because these movies aren't about stories.

I think it would be a great date movie. :)

I had this on but only managed to see the first ten minutes due to people coming round my house.

The knife man was funny :)

Hopefully nobody will come round tonight and I can finish it.

Well, I saw it. Loved the first film, didn't really get into the second film. One scene with girls sitting around talking about their boyfriends and crap is bad enough, but when you throw in two (first four girls in the car, then 2nd four girls at a table,) geeesh. It got real old real fast. The ending was good, though.

Rose McGowan made the entire thing for me, though, as did her BF, Freddy Rodriguez.

Well, I saw it. Loved the first film, didn't really get into the second film. One scene with girls sitting around talking about their boyfriends and crap is bad enough, but when you throw in two (first four girls in the car, then 2nd four girls at a table,) geeesh. It got real old real fast. The ending was good, though.

Rose McGowan made the entire thing for me, though, as did her BF, Freddy Rodriguez.

Planet Terror was a spoof of grindhouse flicks. Death Proof was more like a real grindhouse flick.

Remember we're talking about B movies from the 70s and 80s with extremely limited budgets. They would only be able to film 20-30 minutes worth of action, then have to pad the rest with an hour of bad "plot" and nonsense. And so Death Proof is paced more like one of the real movies this whole thing is supposed to be paying tribute to.

Tarantino does love filming dialogue, women, and women's feet, and certainly at times it can be pretty dull. But the girls were so pretty and the action parts so great that I dug it.

This sounds superb. I hope it gets to the UK and does not drop off the radar...

You wanna hear the sucky news? Despite the local cinemas playing the truly awesome 'Grindhouse' trailer quite a bit, by the time the film makes it over to this side of the Atlantic, it'll actually be two films, Grindhouse: Planet Terror and Grindhouse: Death Proof. This, we are patronisingly informed by one of the Weinstein brothers, is because "Europeans don't 'get' double features, they don't have that concept" and not at all because the film is tanking and they want to screw us for extra money. Honest.

We're told it's ok though: the films will be extended slightly. Oh goodie. But wait: they're being extended apparently by re-inserting the 'missing reels' that were carefully and deliberately removed from each film by the directors for comedic/stylistic effect.

No word on the fake trailers that have gathered so much praise from US movie-goers, though I'm pessimistic.

Basically, 'Grindhouse' as a complete experiece looks awesome to me. 'Planet Terror' and 'Death Proof' as seperate, compromised films just don't fill me with anywhere near enough enthusiasm to part with my cash.

I heard they were doing that here in the states, but it sucks if you guys don't even get a chance to see it as a double featurs.

The missing reels were obviously made for the purposes of DVD.

Why should it suck? We don't even understand what a 'double feature' is, apparently. :rolleyes:

I'm not saying I agree with their decision to chop up Grindhouse (on the contrary), but I think their point wasn't that non-Americans don't know what it is, but that you didn't have the double-feature/drive-in/grindhouse culture that we did.

Back