• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Da Ali G. Show

Jade Jaguar

Regular
Has anyone else seen this? I'm not sure if I love it, or hate it! It follows Bill Maher's new show, Real Time, on HBO on Friday evenings, with later repeats. Ali G. is sort of a British white, hiphop guy, who seems naive and stupid beyond belief, but it is an act. BUT -- he has a lot of serious people from government, various public organizations, and representatives of various political factions, and THEY DON'T KNOW IT'S AN ACT! It can be painful to watch, it's so stupid, but he puts it over on these supposedly savy folks, so it is really strange! Comments?

I was never a big fan of the character when he started. His short sketches on the 11 o'clock show were amusing, but then he got his own series and it just seemed too much. A british friend of mine living in NYC, who'd never seen the UK shows, says the US one is excellent. He gives me the impression that with some of his "interviews" he makes some good points about the stupidity of the people he's "interviewing". They're about to start airing the US series over here in the UK, so I may have to tune in and see.

Yes, he does make his smart guests look dumb, in part by them not catching on to his dumb act, but also subtly, with his questions, and juxtaposition of opposing viewpoints of his guests. So, Friday, Apr. 4th he wasn't on on HBO! I don't know what happened, if he has been taken off or what. I thought I had heard that they were going to show all of them in a block, but I haven't found that in the schedule. It's a very strange show, and I'll watch it some more, given the opportunity.

Back