• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

LOST Casting Spoiler

I've seen some take that stance and point that out. But I think when you are on the first season of a show that you are marketing to be a deep, intricate, planned, and sweeping mystery you shouldn't speak disparagingly of concepts you haven't introduced yet, if you plan on bringing them in. Put a different way, if he really did already know Time Travel was involved somewhere in the islands story, then he shouldn't have spoken derisively of the concept. However, I think the fact he was so dismissive, not only of that concept, but of other "sci-fi" concepts as well is a clear display that he hadn't included any such concepts in his back story. That he has changed it now indicates that, far from his earlier claims, he didn't know where he was going.

I partially agree with GKE. If you flat out expect every show to have such planned stories, there will be nothing out there. However, I disagree in that when this show came out, it was HEAVILY marketed at how deep the mysteries of the island were, how everything had an explaination, and of how well planned out it was. They used THAT to get viewers even more into the show. To start finding out that was all BS (as many expected) cheapens things a lot, and really ruins the credibility of the writing staff.

That all being said, I have ENJOYED the last season or so of Lost more than prior ones. I also don't mind the time travel concept...as long as they don't get too crazy with it and too dues ex machina with it as an answer to everything (seems early on that they are trying for that). I just have an issue with how the show was originally portrayed, and it seriously make me doubt the creators of the show for anything they do in the future (especially JJ Abrams, who clearly had no idea what he was doing with cool things he started in Alias, and never finished).

Thats where I was going with all of that....

I can't argue with a thing you say, matter of fact in S3, when Desmond started drifting through time, I was a bit perturbed, not because of the time travel, but, because I had avoided SciFi explanations in all of my theorizing.

Why don't we just call it like it is?

The term "sci-fi" is avoided because by very definition it isolates a significant proportion of the potential audience... and considering how expensive the show probably is, that's something they can probably scant afford.

It's prejudice. Whether that's prejudice on the part of executives who assume that the show will not achieve it's audience projection if it is linked strongly with sci fi, or whether it's prejudice on the part of the viewing public... is up to the individual I guess.

Isn't Abrams using a similar trick for Star Trek. "Oh I'm not a fan... don't judge me, I'll make it for you people who don't watch the entire genre... so it's acceptable and not what you think sci fi is all about."

I really think a lot of this is merely down to savvy marketing.

Why don't we just call it like it is?

The term "sci-fi" is avoided because by very definition it isolates a significant proportion of the potential audience... and considering how expensive the show probably is, that's something they can probably scant afford.

It's prejudice. Whether that's prejudice on the part of executives who assume that the show will not achieve it's audience projection if it is linked strongly with sci fi, or whether it's prejudice on the part of the viewing public... is up to the individual I guess.

Isn't Abrams using a similar trick for Star Trek. "Oh I'm not a fan... don't judge me, I'll make it for you people who don't watch the entire genre... so it's acceptable and not what you think sci fi is all about."

I really think a lot of this is merely down to savvy marketing.

This.

Sci-fi is a dirty word among the mass-public. Period.

I don't think that's true anymore. With Lord of the Rings winning an Oscar, Keanu Reaves making one hit after another in the genre, more and more women showing up at conventions, the appeal of a Battlestar Galactica remake- of all things!- across many demographics, etc, sci-fi is no longer some nerd-only niche.

Mass-marketed sci-fi is one thing (i.e. Star Wars, The Matrix, etc.)

Regular ole sci-fi is usually hissed at, especially by women.

Maybe Lost would fall more under "speculative fiction" which is like saying "Sci-fi lite."

I have friends who LOVED The Matrix, but who say it proud how much they hate, loathe and abhor science fiction.

Snotty European moment coming up.

There should be laws against American actors speaking Latin in movies and in TV series, lest they receive intense coaching.

"See placette .. see placette"

Ugh.

OK. Enough snotty Europeanness.

Got some definite theories after this episode that I'm sure everybody else is having too.

Faraday's mom = Eloise = Ms. Hawking (the old lady freaking Desmond out) = Ellie, the girl with the gun in the 50s. Faraday's dad = Mr. Widmore. No idea where he gets the name Faraday in this scenario, though.

The bomb is burried, and has something to do with the island going as weird as it does.

And I believe Charlotte is toast - not much sorrow from me. Is it me, or is Lost just full of sexy and sexy-ish, but totally annoying female characters?

I was actually thinking he was less worried about it going off, and more worried about it radiation leaks. Though who knows.

Faraday, of course, matches the general theme on Lost of having character names match up with the names of big thinkers (Faraday, Hume, Locke, Rousseau) .. I only now noticed that Locke didn't inherit his name from his father either. Did all these people choose these names, or are the writers just having fun with us? (Well, that .. naturally)

Since this sort of became the unofficial Lost Season 5 discussion thread, Ill keep it going. This week's episode, for me, showed the storytelling potential of the time travel phenomenon involving the island. I dont think they will keep it as a plot device for long...but we just got a nice long look at the beginnings of the early days of the major players in the Lost story. Whitmore, Richard, young Rosseau? on the island in the 50s? Pretty good stuff! So instead of character flashbacks telling their backstories (many of which are starting to appear REALLY unimportant in the grand scheme of things) we have flashbacks to earlier days on the island...and potential for a lot more.

Its a good vehicle for the writers to bring the story along. Hopefully they have figured out a good way to bring the series to a close in its remaining time, and these type of episodes should be a good way to get a lot of that filled in.

Pretty sure the girl was not young Rousseau. British accent instead of a "French" one, wrong hair colour, wrong name, wrong age, wrong setting, wrong name. I'm next to certain the girl we met was Mr. Hawkings.

Chilli said:

Faraday's mom = Eloise = Ms. Hawking (the old lady freaking Desmond out) = Ellie, the girl with the gun in the 50s.

This is definitely a possibility. It's her, or I think it's Penny's mother. I don't recall being introduced to Penny's mum at all.

Des and Penny sure have a cute kid. And they named in Charlie. :)

I'm thinking Whitmore isn't as bad as we're making him out to be. Who knows. He seemed fairly pleasant with Desmond. It could be that he's just worried for his daughter. But, the fact that he does worry for his daughter casts something of a humane shadow on him and I like that. I don't enjoy watching characters that are 100% evil, without any wiggle room.

I like the red-headed chick. I just don't know much about her. Would love to see her story before she dies (if she dies,) especially since she stated that she was born on the island.

Since we're doing time stuff, I hope we get to see Clancy Brown again. =D

Richard continues to mystify me. I enjoy him as a character. Creepy that John Locke told him "I'll be born in two years," and in a previous episode we saw Locke being visited by Richard as a young boy.

Good episode.

The thing that usually both interests and frustrates me about time travel stories is how the actions of people in the future effect that future. And basically there are two approaches to take when this happens:

1. The Sound of Thunder / Back to the Future scenario, in which going to the past actually changes the history of the timeline.
2. The Terminator / Babylon Squared-War Without End scenario, in which the actions of the time traveling people actually create the very timeline that already exists.

With Locke talking to Richard before Richard knew of his existence, Faraday ordering the burial of an H-bomb, etc, it remains to be seen exactly which of these scenarios will play out, though it seems like everyone, including myself, is assuming the latter one of inevitability.

I dunno. Richard is definitely contributing in his own way to the time stuff--especially since he was actively looking for Locke and gave him the compass before time shifted again. This tells me that it's more inclined to be the second of your theories, GKE, that going back in time is setting things into motion that have already happened in a sense (like WWE.)

I dunno. Richard is definitely contributing in his own way to the time stuff--especially since he was actively looking for Locke and gave him the compass before time shifted again. This tells me that it's more inclined to be the second of your theories, GKE, that going back in time is setting things into motion that have already happened in a sense (like WWE.)

Yes but that was a Richard who knew where Locke was because Locke told him. The Richard in the 50s had no freakin clue who the guy was, Locke just dropped the name Jacob so Richard knew something was up. Locke is starting to create the future where Richard knows that he is important and special.

Definitely leaning towards GKEs #2.

Yes but that was a Richard who knew where Locke was because Locke told him. The Richard in the 50s had no freakin clue who the guy was, Locke just dropped the name Jacob so Richard knew something was up. Locke is starting to create the future where Richard knows that he is important and special.

I thought the Richard in the 50's found Locke as a boy, gave him some tests, was disappointed when Locke "failed" and then left. How else would he have known to go back to the mainland to find Locke in the first place?

I thought the Richard in the 50's found Locke as a boy, gave him some tests, was disappointed when Locke "failed" and then left. How else would he have known to go back to the mainland to find Locke in the first place?

Yeah that's right, the Dalai Lama type test.

Interesting that that the compass was there and also Alpert seemed uncomfortable with the knife being chosen, in a manner that suggested a reason other than the one he gave (i.e the knife did belong to John but Alpert didn't want it to for some reason).

What was in the container?

You guys are confusing the crap out of me. Look:

I said:

With Locke talking to Richard before Richard knew of his existence, Faraday ordering the burial of an H-bomb, etc, it remains to be seen exactly which of these scenarios will play out, though it seems like everyone, including myself, is assuming the latter one of inevitability.

The latter means #2, the WWE thing, where it's always the same history.

Alluveal says:

With language like "I dunno" and "this tells me its more inclined," a disagreement is implied. Yet you conclude, like me, that it's the #2 WWE thing, which actually means we agree.

And then Recoil does the same thing, implies he disagrees with Alluveal, and also concludes:

So, guys- we all agree! Just because it's the internet, doesn't mean we have to argue :)

Oh hush, you.

Hahaha. I started with "I dunnooo" like a skeptic, then as I was writing, I started to think it out (while typing) and I reached the same conclusion.

Me = fail at premeditated posts sometimes.....

But, I do think you are onto something. It makes me wonder what else the folks who are "unstuck in time" will contribute to the time-line after the Oceanic Flight hits the island.

Back