• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Another Dune Movie

Ok, it was the friggin' DISNEY CHANNEL that showed it, oddly enough. I knew it was some basic cable channel and the sci-fi channel was the first to come to mind. Here is proof it existed!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A1WEGKFS8S6A68?ie=UTF8&sort_by=MostRecentReview

The other threads I can find say this is the director's cut. I swear it was long, like long-ass long. Maybe they did just play it back to back or something. I don't know. But, I remember thinking "the eyes aren't all blue, this editing really sucks."

That revue mentions a version that is over three hours long. As I said, the original extended "Alan Smithee" version was 190 minutes, which is 10 minutes over three hours. That might come to 4.5 hours, with a lot of commercials. So, still no mention of anything like an 8 hour, or 6 hour version.

Those eyes that weren't blue are because that footage wasn't used by Lynch, in his 2hour, 17 minute original cut of the film, and thus never got to the special effects crew. I have the Alan Smithee version on SVHS, because I taped it from cable,. years ago. I'm pretty sure it was on the Sci Fi Channel then, as I very rarely watch the Disney Channel. But, obviously, Disney picked it up.

Addendum: Alluveal, I never thought you were crazy, or on drugs. My thoughts were more like 'the Alan Smithee cut is so awful, it seems like 6 hours...' or 'maybe she was watching late at night, and fell asleep, since it was so damned dull, distorting her sense of time, or letting her conflate back two back-to-back showings.' :D

Last edited:
The david Lynch version of Dune though again a valiant attempt even with the extended footage is to me a dismal failure, whats scary is that no one learned from the debacle of the David Lynch film that you cannot compress Dune into a 2 hour feature length movie and have it be any good.

I actually agree with Garo on this. No way they can do it. My guess is the only reason they are resurrecting it is because of the message behind it and how it relates to our oil/Middle East situation at present. (i.e. political statement)

Can't be done? Of course it can be done. What I think you all mean is can it be done and be both a commercial success and acceptable to hard-core fans at the same time, right?

By cutting into the depth of the story, it could be made a commercially successful film. After all, many years of X-men stories were condensed and altered to fit into a few hit movies. But the depth so many loved about the stories, I gather, was cast to the wind. That's what has to be sacrificed: set your sights lower and just go for a kind of superficial Dune telling, and perhaps it could work so that it's commercially a hit.

I'm not saying that'd be a good thing, but it's been done many times with other movies.

I don't even think it could be done commercially-speaking on a successful level. I don't know. We'll see. They better cast Duncan Idaho right. All sci-fi nerd women must have a hot Duncan.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back