• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The Wire Season 5 (Jan, '08)

My wife and I just got done watching the entire series of "The Wire". This is really one of the best tv shows out there. We borrowed the first four seasons from a friend and then watched season five on demand. They wrapped things up nicely. Freamon and McNulty got off a little easier than I thought they would. Their whole serial killer thing was fun to watch. I hope HBO finds a worthy successor to this series.

Very cool, Sinclair.
Let's avoid major season 5 spoilers until KoshFan catches up.

The finale was great, of course.

David Simon and Ed Burns are working on some sort of Iraq miniseries.

I just flicked my eyes past Sinclair's comment, but yes, I'm afraid I haven't seen any Season 5 yet, and won't until it's out on Netflix.

Recoil would probably chide me for this, of course.

A little off-topic, but today I'm reflecting about how this show has changed how I look at the world.

I recently moved into Seattle (I've always lived in nearby suburbs, but now I'm right there in it). I've been exploring my new neighborhood; it's pretty diverse. You get plenty of white people, a big Hispanic community, a lot of Asians -- including some Filipinos, and finally a smattering of blacks. I also did some wandering around downtown. Seems to me that "The Wire" didn't break my inherent white-boy racism. And I wonder if it taught me to profile, or more precisely to profile better. I saw three young black guys standing around a house down the street and I instantly flashed back to the Barksdale stash house, way out in the suburbs; I even checked for security cameras! I chided myself for being so stereotypical, but it was my first instinct.

Then, as I was coming out of the grocery store, I saw two really scruffy, strung-out white people talking to two young black men in a very nice sports car. The whites had obviously been waiting for the other two, because one of them was walking over even as the sports car pulled in. I wasn't going to be obvious and stop to inspect, but a minute later I turned around and they were all gone.

Profiling can get you in trouble... but really, what was that if it wasn't drugs?

A little off-topic, but today I'm reflecting about how this show has changed how I look at the world.

How's that for an awesome review of the show, eh?

Don't worry dude, a little profiling is good, as long as you're open to changing your mind. Telling a New Yorker that "profiling" is inherently wrong sounds ridiculous to us.

Time to dust off this old thread; just watched the first two of season five. I can see why people complained. A little heavy-handed indeed. Got a kick out of seeing Avon again, though.

Man, this show gets me riled up.

Omar always did strain credulity a bit.

And about time they started talking about the homeless. A true manifestation of how fucked up our society is. There's a homeless encampment maybe a mile from where I live, down under a major freeway interchange. Two weeks I gave two homeless kids, probably younger than I am, five dollars. They said they'd been homeless for a month. Weren't wearing enough clothes, either; it was warmer then, but the weather's turning.

On my way home from work I heard a radio piece about how the next president will find themselves strapped for cash due to the massive bailout package in the works. I was struck by inspiration: if Obama wins the election, his career will bear a rather striking resemblance to Carcetti's:

They both start out as bright young stars in a representative position.
They both run for higher office in part because of ambition and in part because of real reformist zeal and compassion for the people.
They are marked as being clean crusader types, with their eloquence catching people's attention.
They both barely win a contentious primary campaign which divides their party, and win thanks in part to defections from the camp of the rather arrogant "inevitable" candidate.
They are both hampered by their race.
They both feel they have to forge unlikely alliances, make promises they can't keep, say things they'd prefer not to say, and stoop to tactics they'd rather avoid.

(Here we diverge from the factual side of Obama's campaign and move into speculation about his putative administration.)

They both get blindsided by a massive drain on their finances from an unignorable quarter.
They both have to break a lot of promises in order to hold things together.
They both wind up eating a whole heck of a lot of shit.

The prospect of Obama as Carcetti is pretty depressing.

Michael K Williams (Omar) was on the Opie & Anthony radio show was a very charming, funny guest and a very cool "hang out" guest- that is, someone who could just chill and get into the humor of something rather than be some actor there to just plug his work and make an "appearance" like on those lame-ass late-night talk-shows. I like actors like that.

Last night The Wire was once again snubbed by the Emmys.

My theory is that the show is made by Hollywood outsiders and these industry awards go to the big names and people they know and like, and people like Ed Burns and Michael K Williams are just not in that circle. But the fact that The Wire never one a single Emmy just goes to show you how out of touch the industry is.

i agree that the wire should have at least received one nod, somewhere back down the line, but are they really out of touch? 3 for 30 rock sounds about right to me.

30 Rock is a funny show, glad it won. But The Wire is something truly unique and special. It's the rare TV show that actually touches on something real. There was never anything else on like it- it was special, not just well made. So, yeah, to not be recognized for what it is- EVER- the Emmy people are clueless.

Omar's fallen... it's weird, all day at work I kept running over his exploits like you might remember good times with a good buddy who's gone. Of course he had to go, and of course he had to go out in an extremely unexpected way, because he was always so big about the preparation.

Snoop's gone, too, which I didn't expect... but Michael's transformation is brutal. Here's a kid who is still trying to do the right thing by his family, and losing everything about himself as he goes. When Dukie joked about the piss balloon fight, and asked if Michael remembered... man, the show should have won an Emmy for that pause alone.

Looks like Bubbles will make it, though, and looks like McNulty and Freamon are about to fall. But out of all of that, Carver's turned into a bona fide good cop.

A lot of Omar fans were devastated- either because he died, or because he didn't go out in a blaze of glory, ol' west style shoot-out w/ Marlo. But whatever- like you said, this makes much more sense.

Thread resurrection time to post this: Bill Moyers and David Simon (creator of the Wire for those who somehow missed that...) chatting for 45 minutes about the Wire and the state of society. Fascinating stuff.

Watch Part 1 here

Back