• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

another new Blade Runner really-final director's cut

Amazing. The original theater showing of Blade Runner wasn't welcomed with open arms? It was pulled from some theaters? :eek: Wow. It's just amazing how many classics got that initial response.

They couldn't get away with so many remakes if the movie weren't so darn good. :D I'll "forgive" them this. :LOL:

But I wonder then of the (three?) versions, which is the best to buy. It's one classic I don't have in my collection yet.

Last edited:
I never saw the released version; I liked the Director's Cut just fine. I wonder what Scott didn't like in that version?

I have no idea which version I have seen. Can anyone tell me the difference between them?

The Directors Cut does not have a cheesy voiceover or the happy "Hollywood" ending where Deckard and Sean Young ride off into the sunset together ... among other things.

Oh dear. :eek:

I guess I've never seen the director's cut then. I wonder if it can be netflixed.

Thanks!

I'm not against Walmart. It's just that I have no plans to be around a Walmart for several weeks.

I live way out in the boonies. We're lucky we get electricity here. ;)

Yea, I just put it in my Queue. And I emailed a friend and asked him if he already has it. He collects DVDs.

Thanks. Now I'll find out if I've every actually seen the end of this movie. :eek:

I just read wikipedia's entry on the film in order to sort through the various versions. Apparently, the "director's cut" on DVD now, that come out in '92, was a rush job that, while done under the guidance of Ridley Scott, still didn't make him completely happy, as he was simultaneously working on other things (Thelma & Louis, if you can dig that).

So the Final Cut is basically the full, "real," director's cut.

The upcoming release will come out in all DVD formats, including the high-def ones, and there will be a 5 disc set with all the versions and extras.

As much as I love the movie, I don't want to spend so much money on one flick. (Dawn of the Dead is my favorite horror movie of all time, but I opted for the cheapo single disc version, not the 4-disc set). Also, I'm afraid of investing in new DVD releases of my favorite movies until the high-def format war is over, because I'd be into that but not while there are two.

Good Grief. Surely you're exagerating? It's not really 5 discs is it? If so, is that because of multiple versions of the movie? I mean the LotR sets were only 4 discs, and 2 discs are the movie itself?

No kidding, what the heck could they have done? One disc for the movie itself, surely. Then 4 for EXTRAS? Which I usually only watch once, if at all? :(

I'm glad I'm renting it, then. If my buddy doesn't already own the 92 version, if he does I'll just borrow it from him or watch it with him. :)

If the 5 disc set had say all three versions, plus extras, hmmm. Maybe. Since my health improved I went into a spending frenzy, though. :eek: So I'll have plenty of time to ponder which version (if any) I want to buy.

And I agree about waiting for the "war" to be over: I really don't know if collecting even DVDs is worthwhile just now. But I also don't know how long it will take for the next format to be chosen. Hmmm.

If the 5 disc set had say all three versions, plus extras, hmmm.

Yes, that is actually what it will have. Sorry that wasn't more clear.

That's why I mentioned the Dawn of the Dead set, which is 4 discs because it provides 3 or 4 versions of the movie. Another such set is Criterion's release of Brazil, which has 2 or 3 versions.

The Directors Cut does not have a cheesy voiceover or the happy "Hollywood" ending where Deckard and Sean Young ride off into the sunset together ... among other things.

I like the voice over in the original release, and don't find it cheesy in the least, but rather typical of film noir, of which Blade Runner is a fine example. Apart from that, I generally do prefer the 92 director's cut, but look forward to seeing the new director's cut.

Hmm . it is a while since I have seen the original cut. Could be the combination of voiceover and Hollywood ending that makes it feel cheesy, rather than the voiceover in itself.

I'm trying to remember the movie, too. :LOL: I do believe I'll be investing (or renting at the very least) the non-voiced over Blade Runner.

I think it really is the voice-over people find cheesy. I love film noir, so I like how it sets the mood.

But let's face it, "film noir" was kind of a cheesy art form. You weren't really caring what the characters said, or what the plot was, you just wanted to see Bogart and Bacall, or whatever.

And those movies really work for some of us. They seem cheesy to others.

But let's face it, "film noir" was kind of a cheesy art form. You weren't really caring what the characters said, or what the plot was, you just wanted to see Bogart and Bacall, or whatever.

And those movies really work for some of us. They seem cheesy to others.

I disagree. Good film noir is not cheesy. Often sleezy, though... The thing I love about film noir is the plots, often torturously convoluted, always full of twists. Some of my favorites, such as Detour, and The Devil Thumbs a Ride don't star anyone most people have heard of.

I disagree. Good film noir is not cheesy. Often sleezy, though... The thing I love about film noir is the plots, often torturously convoluted, always full of twists. Some of my favorites, such as Detour, and The Devil Thumbs a Ride don't star anyone most people have heard of.

Also, one of the greatest ones ever, The Big Sleep, actually has a plot that is so convoluted that it makes no sense.

Then there are the ones like DOA which are real simple in construction.

Yes I'm a fan :)

Back