• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Rant- SPECIAL EDITION

No, I won't be buying a new DVD player right now, I'm on a spending freeze at the moment.

But it's good to know they have gotten cheaper. :)

Anyone have a HD dvd player? I bought the Planet Earth DVD for my dad in HD (he has a HD television) and it wouldn't work in a regular DVD Player (DUrrh on me!) Needs an HD dealio. They're expensive as hell!

Keep in mind that HD is actually one of two high definition formats, along with Sony's Blu-Ray. That's why most people are waiting until one format dominates the marketplace before buying and high-def DVD player.

If you have an XBOX 360, you can buy a ~$200 device that plays HD-DVD on the XBOX.

We have a station (local NBC affiliate) which is bragging to be the first newscast in this part of the state to be in HD.

The funny part is, they have had more technical problems than I've ever seen before. :LOL: I can't help but wonder if the two aren't connected.

Keep in mind that HD is actually one of two high definition formats, along with Sony's Blu-Ray. That's why most people are waiting until one format dominates the marketplace before buying and high-def DVD player.

If you have an XBOX 360, you can buy a ~$200 device that plays HD-DVD on the XBOX.

remember though that things like VOD are coming in now as well, and they could easily supercede high def disc's of either format.

I agree about The Abyss. The director's cut is one of my favorite movies, even if I left the theater very disappointed with the ending. Generally I detest happy endings, particularly if they're contrived as this was.

I haven't seen the theater editions of LotR since the extended ones came out, they explain so much of why things happened, rather than just what happened.

Kingdom of Heaven is another movie which benefited hugely from a longer version. In the movie distribution they had cut out everything except the action, the longer version explained a lot more, and gave the movie a point.

I agree about The Abyss. The director's cut is one of my favorite movies, even if I left the theater very disappointed with the ending. Generally I detest happy endings, particularly if they're contrived as this was.

I personally liked the ending.

I haven't seen the theater editions of LotR since the extended ones came out, they explain so much of why things happened, rather than just what happened.

I didn't like the way Faramir was made to come across in the original Two Towers, but that was largely rectified by the extended edition.

Kingdom of Heaven is another movie which benefited hugely from a longer version. In the movie distribution they had cut out everything except the action, the longer version explained a lot more, and gave the movie a point.

I didn't think Orlando Bloom was strong enough to carry the film personally. He just felt like an annoying upstart in many places. Just because someone's husband is an absolute monster, it doesn't give you an excuse to commit adultery with her.

I didn't think Orlando Bloom was strong enough to carry the film personally. He just felt like an annoying upstart in many places. Just because someone's husband is an absolute monster, it doesn't give you an excuse to commit adultery with her.

i don't know about that, i'd have a punt.

Anyone have a HD dvd player? I bought the Planet Earth DVD for my dad in HD (he has a HD television) and it wouldn't work in a regular DVD Player (DUrrh on me!) Needs an HD dealio. They're expensive as hell!

Planet Earth is available in SD DVD. I think the cheapest HD DVD players are about $400 now. Blu-ray players are about twice that, and there are a few dual format players. I'm waiting for things to shake out, and prices to come down before I buy anything. In the mean time, I buy very few DVDs, since they are obsolete.

Back