• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5:TLT -- just the news. And we mean that.

Sounds like Good news to me. They wouldn't have released it and said there will be more if sales are good enough, unless they felt sales would be good enough. Since sales have been several magnitudes beyond expectation, that must mean sales have been stong enough to warrant more, yes?

I'd imagine so. But WB like anyother business will still be careful. So it all depends on how they analyse the sales data. If it is high enough to warrant further volumes (which it appears to be) they have to decide how high a budget they could give for the next volume without a risk of losing money. Who knows if the sales are good enough they may go the way of MGM with Stargate SG-1 and greenlight Two further volumes. For as Delenn said "Babylon 5 Endures"

JMS has said in an interview that if he gets to do more, he would like Garabaldi and Londo as the next two characters

http://www.scifistream.com/babylon5/

http://trekweb.com/articles/2007/09/09/J-Michael-Straczynski-Wants-Garibaldi-and.shtml

Yeh that is good news, but rather well known already lol. When pre-production was happening for ViTD JMS announced he would be holding over the Garibaldi story for the next DVD. Shortly thereafter Peter Jurasik announced on show 39 on babylonpodcast.com that JMS had approached about reprising his role as Londo for the next DVD.

So given that JMS would like Garibaldi and Londo to be "the next two characters" ... does this mean future Lost Tales discs will only have two stories on them as well?

[/nitpick]

:D

So given that JMS would like Garibaldi and Londo to be "the next two characters" ... does this mean future Lost Tales discs will only have two stories on them as well?

[/nitpick]

:D

One does not necessarily follow from the other. We had three previously known B5 universe characters (Sheridan, Galen and Lochley) in the first DVD and got two Lost Tales. Also, JMS isn't going to mention any new characters (like Vintari) in such a remark, so who knows how many stories we'll get on the next DVD, if there is a next DVD.

I hope they ramp this up, in frequency of DVDs and budget, and do this as a supplement to a new or re-started series, because otherwise people are going to lose patience and interest.

Warner Brothers, the time for TIMIDITY is long past. It's time to show real FAITH in Babylon 5 and Crusade, and the FANS.

Do you ever get the impression that maybe WB don't actually understand what it is they are holding in their hands. To quote Lady Morella from The Point of No Return:

Greatness is never appreciated in youth, called "pride" in mid-life, dismissed in old age, and reconsidered in death.

Some people have argued that any programme in the B5 universe will only succeed if it has one or more of the five "big guns" in it. I don't nessarily believe that. If it ever became unviable through time and circumstance to get those actors on board, JMS could begin again in a totally separate part of the timeline and tell new stories from that same universe (as long as he could get actors of the same quality to play the new characters... but that in itself would require faith on the part of executives).

I think the point I'm mainly trying to make is that I don't think WB quite understyand what they've been holding in their hands. They have had, and still have something great in their posession... and if they had seen the quality of scriptwriting and performances from people like Mira Furlan, Andreas Katsulas and Peter Jurasik (to name but three), and seen them for what they were... they might have treated B5 a lot better.

Forgive me going biblical but they really need to read the Parable of the Talents. That's the one where a landlord give varying amounts of coinage to his servants and asks them to look after it in his absence. 1 is given 10 coins, another 5 and still another just 1. The men with 10 and 5 coins spend all the money in investment and their willingness to risk pays off, they make a profit and please the boss. The man with 1 coin gets the jitters and buries his coin because of his fear of losing it. the boss gets back and is not happy... pointing out that even if he had put it in the bank it would have accumulated interest.

So I echo your thoughts about Warners being too cautious. They are not just like the guy with one coin burying what he has... they are more like the man with 10 changing his mind and buirying the coins.

They are businessmen... and yet they don't seem to understand that you have speculate in order to accumulate. Marketers believe that "the product is king", it's time B5 was properly coronated.

Figure I'll take this thread of sticky, till an announcement is made about further installments.

Figure I'll take this thread of sticky, till an announcement is made about further installments.

i thought it had been, i can't remember where i heard it, but i swear sales were vastly beyond what even JMS had dreamed of, so WHV gave the go ahead for more. can't remember where the fuck i heard it though.

i thought it had been, i can't remember where i heard it, but i swear sales were vastly beyond what even JMS had dreamed of, so WHV gave the go ahead for more. can't remember where the fuck i heard it though.

Not quite. Yes, sales were vastly more than expected. Yes, WB started talks about more. They refused to expedite the bureacratic process and the writer's strike hit so there's no official greenlight.

Jan

Not quite. Yes, sales were vastly more than expected. Yes, WB started talks about more. They refused to expedite the bureacratic process and the writer's strike hit so there's no official greenlight.

Jan

Speaking of which, does the writers' strike mean JMS has a little free time, for a change? Or is he simply working on his own? Out of curiosity, I thought I'd ask.

I hope he's soaking up some well-deserved rest and fun... while penning a new story for future use, perhaps. :D

But I'm unashamedly greedy. :devil:

On one of the Amazon Reviews, a poster claimed this was the first in a series of 5 or something like that, but, no official greenlight has been given.

I certainly hope there'll be more, and that they'll blow some of the budget on extras. The corridors seemed a bit empty compared with the show.

Any news about another yet?

(I should probably assume "no." I figure you guys would be bouncing off the walls if there was an announcement.)

No, but...

From this post by JMS:

One side-effect of this...after the sales on B5:TLT came in, way
exceeding WB's projections, they initiated talks about what to do
next, including commissioning more DVDs. Looking at the calendar, I
suggested that they might want to hurry the bureaucratic process
because we were going to be in a strike situation soon, so if they
wanted to move, they'd better commision a script fast.

And they said in response, and I quote verbatim, "We don't want to be
pressured in the process because we know there's not going to be a
strike this year, we can handle the Guild."

So with the writer's strike possibly ending soon perhaps talks will begin again.

Jan

Back