• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Episode Judging: The Wrong Side of Popular Opinion

For the most part, I don't find the Crusade effects to be very poor in quality or distracting. Then again, it may be due to my lack of exposure to the latest effects laden, movies and sci-fi TV shows, and the fact that I haven't played computer games for the past 5 or 6 years.
For it's time, Crusade effects were quite good.

But compared to new shows Enterprise, Farscape or BSG (haven't seen Firefly) it is very poor. I hope TMoS will have good SFX budget and they will find ways to improve general quality (more details, more polygons per scene etc).

I know, I suppose my gripe with that particular episode was structural - that it was very much the 'let's all stop and have Flashbacks episode',

You sound just like the suits at TNT-Atlanta, except that they wanted it to be done by the characters talking about their feelings, in the present, and not showing any flashbacks. The result of that would have been a "Let's all stop and talk about our feelings." episode.

Google Link - Hope it works.

with a *very* convenient plot contrivance (a flashback-eating alien)

forgiveness-eating alien

You sound just like the suits at TNT-Atlanta

:eek: There's no need to get personal!! :) :) :p

they wanted it to be done by the characters talking about their feelings, in the present, and not showing any flashbacks.

Okay, but isn't that more or less exactly how the suicide of Ivonova's mother was handled in B5? At various times (Midnight on the Firing Line, Eyes, Divided Loyalties, the Summoning) she would talk about her feelings about the events and how they had affected her in the present; touchingly and movingly so. At no point was it necessary to depict the events literally, unless you count the hallucinogenic dream sequence in Eyes..

The result of that would have been a "Let's all stop and talk about our feelings." episode.

Yep, that would have been truly awful!!

You sound just like the suits at TNT-Atlanta

:eek: There's no need to get personal!! :) :) :p

For a minute there, you were sounding like a TNT suit clone.

they wanted it to be done by the characters talking about their feelings, in the present, and not showing any flashbacks.

Okay, but isn't that more or less exactly how the suicide of Ivonova's mother was handled in B5? At various times (Midnight on the Firing Line, Eyes, Divided Loyalties, the Summoning) she would talk about her feelings about the events and how they had affected her in the present; touchingly and movingly so. At no point was it necessary to depict the events literally, unless you count the hallucinogenic dream sequence in Eyes..

I do count the dream sequence.

The result of that would have been a "Let's all stop and talk about our feelings." episode.

Yep, that would have been truly awful!!

OK, you're not ready to intern at Total Nitwit Television. There's hope for you yet. ;)

Back