• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

TIMELINE: T.V.movie vs. T.V.series

Diresky

As many of you know the time frame for B5:LR:TO LIVE AND DIE IN STARLIGHT is 3 years after B5:TOS:OBJECTS AT REST.

If the new T.V.movie generates a new T.V.series I wonder if a small or great gap of time will exist between the two.

In other words the events of the potential T.V.series may take place right after events in T.V.movie or it may be that the T.V.series will pick up years after the T.V.movie. If the latter is the case and a large amount of time exists between T.V.movie and T.V.series could the T.V.series actually be a heavily modified CRUSADE SEASON 2.

TIMEFRAME THEORY 1:
Year 0- B5:TOS:OBJECTS AT REST
1-
2-
3- B5:LR:TO LIVE AND DIE
IN STARLIGHT
3.1-SEASON 1(B5:LR series)
4- SEASON 2(B5:LR series)
5- SEASON 3(B5:LR SERIES)
SEASON 1(CRUSADE)
5.1- B5:LR merges with CRUSADE
5.2- SEASON 2(CRUSADE)
6- SEASON 4(B5:LR)
SEASON 3(CRUSADE)
7- SEASON 5/4(LR:CRSD)
And so on...

TIMEFRAME THEORY 2:
Year 0- B5:TOS:OBJECTS AT REST
1-
2-
3- B5:LR:TO LIVE AND DIE
IN STARLIGHT
4-
5- CRUSADE SEASON 1
5.1- B5:LR SEASON 1
5.2- CRSD/B5:LR (merged)
6-
And so on...

It'd be a few months between the telemovie and series, I believe.

------------------
Dreg: "Most beauteous and supremely magnificent one, this dark spell I hold in my worthless and scabby hand is our gift to you, most tingly and wonderful Glorificus..."
Glory: "Please, call me Glory. And get up, looking at you is hurting my neck."
Dreg: "Forgive me, shiny special one. I beg of you to rip out my inadequate tongue."
Glory: "Gimme."

Yeah, the odds are the series 1st season will be set in 2266. (Assuming that Rangers is also a five-year arc show and that the one season = one year rule still holds.)

We know a few things right now:

1) "Objects at Rest" takes place very late in 2262.

2) The Rangers movie takes place "just under three years after" "OaR" - mid-to late 2265.

3) The Telepath War ends in at some point in 2265.

4) The Rangers movie takes place after the Telepath War is over.

Since JMS is likely going to want to leave a little story "daylight" between the end of the Teep War and the beginning of the new TV movie, that means that the movie will take place later in 2265 rather than earlier. If the one-year-per-season rule holds, Rangers S1 can't be set in 2265, because there won't be enough of that year left.

So the sensible time to start the series would be January 2266.

This is where your timeline confuses me. You have Crusade starting much too late. A Call to Arms is set either very late in 2266 or very early in 2267. Either way, Crusade season one is definitely set in 2267, as shown by the date on the banner at the Mars conference, among other clues. This means that the latest the two shows could synch up is Rangers S3.

If I'm right about S1 being set in 2266 ,then Crusade S1 would correspond to Rangers S2. By an odd coincidence, according to JMS's real-world production timeline the earliest Crusade could make it back on the air is 2003, the same year that Rangers S2 would start.

Also I'm not sure what you mean by "merged" If you're talking about timelines synching up, I can see that. But if you mean that the Crusade storyline is somehow going to be grafted onto Rangers, I absolutely, positively, do not buy that.

JMS simply does not work that way. He didn't when swapping characters around in B5 and he's not going to do it with different series. His recent posts on the subject have made it clear that if Rangers is a success, meaning that if it gets renewed at the end of year one, he expects Sci-Fi to revisit the issue of reviving Crusade as a separate series. If it doesn't, there isn't going to be a Rangers to merge with Crusade.

So we're either going to see both shows or neither. What we won't see is one continue the other. Rangers will have its own arc, based on its own characters. If Crusade is ever dead beyond hope of revival, JMS is more likely to want to see it completed as a series of authorized novels than to try to shoe-horn its left-over plot threads into Rangers.

Regards,

Joe

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

[This message has been edited by Joseph DeMartino (edited May 30, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Joseph DeMartino (edited May 30, 2001).]

Latest posts