• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

IGNFF LOTR review

Gee. I hope not.

It seems that the reviewers either like it or hate it. That's all right with me, actually: I'd rather have a bunch think it's rancid and a bunch think it's expensive French truffle than all of them agree on boxed macaroni-and-cheese. There have been plenty of good reviews, as well as this one. No need to get our knickers twisted. We should all probably try to stay neutral until we see for ourselves.
smile.gif

And I don't think, if I were the editor of TV Guide, I would have wasted so much space on a disappointing movie. But that's just me, I'm just a student, etc.

Someone remind this reviewer that Star Trek didn't invent the "intrepid young hero," please?

Always hoping, I wait for Saturday night.
smile.gif

------------------
channe@[url="http://cryoterrace.tripod.com"]cryoterrace[/url] | "I wonder," said Frodo, "but I don't know. And that's the way of a real tale."

[This message has been edited by channe (edited January 17, 2002).]

i very lightly skimmed it... but the fact that the reviewer critisized the *names* of the characters is a bit... ridiculous. credibility falling...

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world.### - caught from Saps @ B5MG

An interesting review. We'll see if they're right or wrong pretty soon.

crazy.gif

------------------
I always seem to be diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Damn what a hoomy hoomy review!

David Sinclair, David Sheridan and David Martel LOL Guess JMS's loves the name David
laugh.gif

Hmmn anyway this review was very ugh like just anotehr comparison to trek...

I cannot wait to see this film to see what I think of it. We have heard good things and bad things I do have a bad feeling about it only because of what has been said by certain people. Although I am sure I will love it eitehr way heh.

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

I rather doubt that B5 has run out of steam, but I'm beginning to think that Glen has. He used to be a better critic (and writer.) He also used to get his facts straight.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Crusade's ratings slid, and the show was canceled after the production of only thirteen episodes.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not only would that be a boneheaded mistake from any ordinary critic, it is inexcusable in Glen's case given that he broke the Crusade-TNT memo story, and ought to know as well as anyone that the production was halted at 13 episodes six months before the show aired and that the ratings (which were actually pretty good) had nothing to do with it.

Assuming that his recollection of the movie is every bit as accurate as his history of Crusade, I'll watch the movie and decide for myself. (BTW, I guess Glen also didn't notice that many Minbari names - including those in the original series - resemble one another, and that some elements appear in several names - the "Lenn" sound of "LENNier", "LENonn" and "DeLENN", for instance. This isn't an attempt to evoke B5, it is an attempt to create a consistent and self-contained alien culture.)

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

[This message has been edited by Joseph DeMartino (edited January 17, 2002).]

Yeah, I wondered about that Crusade statement as well.

I still think that even if the movie sucks (which I hope it doesn't), it would still have potential as a series - as its own series, with more adventure and less heavy drama, not as B5: Part II. The crew just sounds too interesting.

Frankly, as I think I've said before, I don't consider any of the B5 movies masterpieces, including ItB. None of them can be compared to the best of B5. And I like, I really like Crusade - not because of my "blind devotion" to all things JMS but because the stories grabbed me.

As for the review... G'Kar a bitchy queen?? Now I know I've got to see this!
lol.gif
(Of course, some might say that he was always annoying and arrogant... not just in S1, but the trait occasionally came through later as well; so it's hardly something new.)

------------------
"Isn't the universe an amazing place? I wouldn't live anywhere else." - G'Kar, B5: Rangers
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:

>>He used to be a better critic (and >>>writer.

And, I'll bet you wouldn't have any issues whatsoever with my criticism (or writing) if I'd said something you'd agreed with. I've learned fandom seems to operate this way.

>>>production was halted at 13 episodes >>>six months before the show aired and >>>that the ratings (which were actually >>>pretty good) had nothing to do with it.

Your statement here is incorrect in numerous ways, and reflects belief in a spin control & "party line" (floated at the time pf the events) which ended-up not being entirely accurate.

Even though I feel this movie has a great many shortcomings, I sincerely hope you enjoy it & wish its cast and crew the fullest success. I don't happen to like this movie very much, which makes me a bad guy in many people's eyes. That's tough. I just want to see better B5 than *I* think we've been getting lately, and feel that trying to save the franchise requires stronger efforts & consistency than passable mediocrity. Embracing marginal product is *not* doing justice to the franchise as a whole. Instead, that is enabling its self-destruction.

But it's just an opinion...I don't necessarily expect people to share it. Have a good weekend, everybody.

All the best...

Glen Oliver
IGN FilmForce

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by glenoliver:
But it's just an opinion...I don't necessarily expect people to share it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that this is something we can all agree on - everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinion.
smile.gif

I guess that what's causing some of the aggravation in this forum, and also this thread, is that several of the reviews - not necessarily just yours - almost make it sound as if this was the worst telemovie ever made. As if the movie was so horrible that it really has absolutely no potential to give rise to a good, if not brilliant, series. As if the movie was so bad that all hope for the continuation of the B5 universe should and must be abandoned.

I hope you can see that those of us who have not seen the movie just find it a little harsh, especially as some people who have seen it, don't consider it all that bad.

I can just say for myself that I do want to see it, even if it's not a masterpiece - and am damn unhappy that I won't be able to see it any time soon. I don't know of course if I will like it, not all the positive reviews in the world could make me sure of that (I didn't find Fellowship of the Ring all that breath-taking, for example, even though everyone told me that I would love it).

But even if the movie stinks, I still think that a series would have potential to do better. (Then again, I am one of those stupid people who actually like Crusade, and not for what it could have been, but for what it was.)

------------------
"Isn't the universe an amazing place? I wouldn't live anywhere else." - G'Kar, B5: Rangers
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

Glen,

Those who know me understand that I can hardly resist myself to partake in a discussion of this sort. However, I can't really talk about B5LR, because I haven't seen it.

Stick around a little bit.
smile.gif
I'll post here after the movie. I have to be neutrally optimistic right now, or I'll go nuts.
wink.gif

------------------
channe@[url="http://cryoterrace.tripod.com"]cryoterrace[/url] | "I wonder," said Frodo, "but I don't know. And that's the way of a real tale."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by glenoliver:
Your statement here is incorrect in numerous ways, and reflects belief in a spin control & "party line" (floated at the time pf the events) which ended-up not being entirely accurate.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Well, you have us at an disatvantage there. All I know is that when the show was "canceled", there had been no ratings for Crusade. When the show was aired, there was an inital drop in the first few eps to below 1.0, but then, IIRC, they built themseleves up again to around 1.2 - 1.5, which is comparable to what little I've seen of B5 season 5's ratings. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>I just want to see better B5 than *I* think we've been getting lately,<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Don't know about the movie, but for Crusade... Regardless of what was spin about the incidents during the production, or the quality of the episodes produced... I know one thing:

The two unproduced scripts, the only things from the show that were undeniably 100% jms, were damn good IMNSHO. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>and feel that trying to save the franchise requires stronger efforts & consistency than passable mediocrity.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>If I were to judge Buffy's potential based on Welcome to Hellmouth, I'd say kill it. Or B5 based on the Gathering? Jms should have tried harder to ressurect Captain Power.

Both would, with hindsight, have been a mistake. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Embracing marginal product is *not* doing justice to the franchise as a whole.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>For the forseeable future - this is the "franchise". And I don't care about it overly much - I just want good stories from jms, whatever form they may take.

I have however grown quite fond of the cast and this site, and it'd be a shame to lose it. I certainly don't belive there's any problems with "Legend of the Rangers" that can't be worked out underways should there be a series, especially given that the script was written in less than two weeks and the show itself spent only 4 days in development before that.

------------------
"Come out kittycat... I won't hurt you... much..." (hear it)
-- Blackarachnia, "The Spark", Beast Wars

drakh@spamcop.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Review:

>> There's a Minbari named Tannier
>> in Legend of the Rangers...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

With all due respect, the Shadow Nitpicking Team would like nitpick this matter.
smile.gif

If memory serves, there is also a Narn called G'Kar in the movie. Coincidentally this is the same G'Kar we saw in Babylon 5. If memory serves, a ranger trainee called Tannier appeared in the B5 episode "Learning Curve". He is probably the same person, so this is not coincidence, just a recurring character.
smile.gif

-------

As for your suspicions, well, they are partly justified.

But I would disagree about "Crusade". No matter the wording, it was *not* cancelled due to insufficient popularity. In my subjective opinion, its quality was good -- in spite of TNT meddling and JMS overextending himself.

I would also repeat this little remark:

"Rangers" tells about rebuilding after the last Shadow war. Even the Hand can, at most, be a minor player. The series may, however, involve building tension in anticipation of the Earth telepath war and Drakh activities.

If you esteem epic conflict, there is no way "Rangers" can beat "Babylon 5" on your scale. If you esteem an in-depth vision into aspects missed in B5, this series may be what you want. I hope to see more of alien homeworlds and hear more about their yet unknown ways of life. As for Minbar, I hope to see many aspects of this world, some old and some new.

I hope to see the characters of "Rangers" searching for their purpose, and see the characters of "B5" rediscovering theirs. Nothing lasts without change. Everything comes in cycles. I believe that with this cycle, Babylon 5 is heading in the right direction.

------------------
"We are the universe, trying to figure itself out.
Unfortunately we as software lack any coherent documentation."
-- Delenn

[This message has been edited by Lennier (edited January 18, 2002).]

This isn't directed at Glen Oliver, but let me just blow some steam for a moment here. I feel like Doug Netter, who said in a recent interview that he didn't want the B5 saga to end with the Crusade/TNT debacle. I was very depressed when Crusade was cancelled, which surprised me at the time. I guess I was so upset because the B5 saga was the best thing I'd seen in years, & I was so tired of all the anti-B5 flamers & trolls online who were trashing B5 at every opportunity & were calling into question my sanity (yes, my *sanity*) because I actually liked B5 & defended it. Those same trolls & flamers were absolutely gloating when Crusade stopped production. Ever since, I have wanted the B5 saga to get another chance, & now that we are getting a possible new series, if the movie does well, I have to keep seeing these reviews & posts (not Glen's) saying that B5 stinks & the movie does, too. I bet the flamers & trolls are really enjoying all this negative stuff. Well, I'm sick & tired of it. When is B5 ever going to get a break, huh? That's what I really want to know.

Sorry for ranting like this, but I'm nervous about tomorrow, & I also got some bad news about a friend yesterday, so I'm not in a fantastic mood.

Tammy

------------------

"We're in here! Can anyone hear us?"
"I hear you." [giggle, laugh]
"In here!"
"We are here." [giggle, laugh]
-- Londo and G'Kar in Babylon 5:"Convictions"

Tammy's Station
http://community.webtv.net/gkarfan/TammysStation

I try not to take my cues from reviewers/critics/people who believe they're smarter than the rest of us. They can say what they want. It will not stop me from watching it, or taping it. I hope it doesn't discourage anyone else, either.

I know everybody's entitled to their opinion, it's just annoying when people who disagree with you assume (and pontificate) that obviously you're the one with the problem. *sigh*
crazy.gif

Oh, well. You know what they say about opinions.
wink.gif

BTW -- this is my first post here. Hello, everybody.

------------------

Interesting ...

Could be a moot point as I am in the UK. If it really isn't any good it will wind up on TV in the early hours of a Sunday morning, and I will spot it in the TV guide the morning after.

crazy.gif
crazy.gif
crazy.gif
crazy.gif

As many have said already, each of us is entitled to their own opinion and I am content to wait and see what mine is (having read this board to see what everuone else says first of course
laugh.gif
).

Just a couple of "top of the head" thoughts:

There is nothing wrong with being called David - take it from someone who has been for 30 odd years. And yes, there are a hell of a lot of us. Problem for me is I also have a common surname so I share my entire name with lots of other people.

The other one is slightly more concerning. Glen emphasises throughout the review the lack of a sense of "scale" that was apparent even in The Gathering. This is exactly the reason why I got into B5 (and stayed into it for the last 8 years).

The lack of this epicness is exactly the reason why I couldn't get into Voyager, Stargate SG-1, Farscape (although that comes closer than most others), E:FC, Andromeda or any other of the miriad of shows that have arrived since B5 ended.

I sincerely hope he is wrong, and look forward to the opportunity to find out for myself. The trailers that I have seen (from the web) have certainly been good teasers - my wife is certainly interested in seeing the final film although she is almost as into it as me anyway!

My only other concern is (and always has been) the name. It is just not as snappy or eye-catching as Babylon 5 or Crusade, and strikes me as too obvious a nod to some other LotR.

Finally, to our American friends (said with envy, and assuming I don't post again before 21:00 tomorrow.

ENJOY !!!!!

cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif

------------------
DaveC
"Want to talk socks?"

First of all, its great to read one of Glenn's reviews again. AICN has really gone down the dumper since Glenn departed and I have now bookmarked the IGNFF site.
I thought the comments were interesting but I do sometimes wonder if the recent Enterprise pilot could even withstand the same amount of scrutiny?
Its obvious that the new pilot could never match the brilliance of B5 at its very best, most pilots are awful and I've only seen a few good ones (Brimestone, American Gothic and Farscape). I do find it hard to believe that Glenn believes that Rangers has no where to go *if* it becomes a series!
I'm sure JMS already has plots planned (Crusade was full of them Glenn if you read the scripts that never got produced).
Also, as others had said, Glenn's comments regarding Crusade are simply incorrect. The show was cancelled before it even aired, and the audience figures were pretty good. Even Voyager fans are aware of what happened to Crusade
wink.gif

I loved Crusade and I remember that Glenn wasn't too keen, so maybe the Rangers film is simply a good pilot with potential?

------------------
'I plan to live forever, or die trying' - Villa Blake's 7

And, I'll bet you wouldn't have any issues whatsoever with my criticism (or writing) if I'd said something you'd agreed with. I've learned fandom seems to operate this way. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I for one will testify that I have on several occasions seen Joe DeMartino point out factual inaccuracies in statements with which he otherwise agreed. So, regardless of how "fandom" operates, some "fans" don't necessarily work like that. Though it is a nice and convenient way to slag off anyone who disagrees with you. I've learned reviewers seem to operate this way.
smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
>>>production was halted at 13 episodes >>>six months before the show aired and >>>that the ratings (which were actually >>>pretty good) had nothing to do with it.

Your statement here is incorrect in numerous ways, and reflects belief in a spin control & "party line" (floated at the time pf the events) which ended-up not being entirely accurate.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd be interested to know in what ways Joe's statement is incorrect. There is significant documentary evidence that Crusade was in fact cancelled before any episodes were aired. If that's all wrong, I think you should expect to have to provide some explanation before expecting people to believe you.

All that said, I haven't seen B5LR yet, so I have no idea whether or not I agree or disagree with your opinion of it.

------------------
-- Marty
"Always do what you're good at," they tell me.
So I go around annoying people.

[This message has been edited by MartinRoth (edited January 18, 2002).]

Back