• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Star Trek (SPOILERS)

Ok lemme ask a "serious" (not really) uber-geek question:

Those of you truly love Trek, how much do you feel a little annoyed that Trek used to be "our thing" and now it's all mainstream. Now you got celebrities and attractive people taking their attractive dates to see our formerly clubby little niche, nerdy escapist thing. Isn't it kind of annoying? Star Trek used to be this thing that a woman would make fun of me for (like that scene in Free Enterprise when the red-headed skank is railing on the dude in bed for being into it "and what's up with Spock and those ears?!" and so forth) and now they want to come with me and see it? No, I'll take you to some boring-ass chick flick, I'm going to see Star Trek with my equally nerdy loser software engineer friends, thank you very much!

Those of you truly love Trek, how much do you feel a little annoyed that Trek used to be "our thing" and now it's all mainstream. Now you got celebrities and attractive people taking their attractive dates to see our formerly clubby little niche, nerdy escapist thing. Isn't it kind of annoying? Star Trek used to be this thing that a woman would make fun of me for (like that scene in Free Enterprise when the red-headed skank is railing on the dude in bed for being into it "and what's up with Spock and those ears?!" and so forth) and now they want to come with me and see it? No, I'll take you to some boring-ass chick flick, I'm going to see Star Trek with my equally nerdy loser software engineer friends, thank you very much!

It's kind of like that Nirvana concert when Kurt Cobain started screaming at the jocks and fratboys in the audience, "YOU'RE THE SAME MO**********S WHO USED TO BEAT ME UP IN HIGH SCHOOL!". He couldn't reconcile that popularity would make him attractive to those he despised.

Still, most of us are a little more even-tempered than Kurt Cobain and there is always the upside that we will be perceived as just a little less nerdy for loving Star Trek (that is, until we open our mouths), although I don't really think the Trek nerd stereotype is ever going to go away, which creates quite a quandary for comedians and newspaper editorialists who perpetuate the "geek in momma's basement" image while simultaneously promoting how super cool and sexy Star Trek is. Of course, the way around this dilemma is to do like the Onion did and show geeks in Starfleet uniforms saying they hate the movie.

I'm glad it's popular and mainstream for the time being but I'm saddened by the extent of the changes and sacrifices that the producers felt were necessary to get this thing off the ground (and no, that wasn't a veiled reference to the Riverside, Iowa Shipyards). Once you shake hands with the Devil it's hard to get your soul back in one piece.

Oh yeah, Engineering sucks!

Last edited:
I left my nitpicker at home. There are far too many to count. That way lies madness.
:wtf: Abrams made it ultra clear in a interview in Korea his reboot is a reimagining of Star Trek. He did not make it for the Trekies at all. http://scifiwire.com/2009/02/star-treks-jj-abrams-this-films-not-for-trekkies.php I'm not sure the director intends tio fix the continuities but here's hoping. In fact he vocally was in direct opposition of Star Trek when he grew up when his family loved the show according to him.

:eek: Although the continuity issues are many and the writers own somewhat less then satisfying explaination doesn't seem to be enough: http://scifiwire.com/2009/01/exclusive-updates-on-star-trek-transformers-and-cowboys-and-aliens.php http://trekmovie.com/2009/04/30/interview-roberto-orci-alex-kurtzman/ I still feel my explainations best handles the continuity problems, (explainable by the :borg: Borg, Xindi & Sulliban Wars future tech time line tweeks). :cool: Although the lack of one concentrated phaser stream phaser fire in the movie, save maybe the ship itself, is a issue with me. :( It is nothing that can't be fixed. However based on the screen writers interview Ricardo Orcci, it doesn't seem like ether of the writers desire to fix anything. In fact they said Romulans aren't coming back. Yike!!! They don't want to fix anything much in the time line. They didn't mention planet Vulcans fate though. So much for the Romulan War that was talked about in 'Ballance of Terror'. I've only been waiting to see that since I watched the episode when I was a kid, that's all. Unless of coarse someone else does the writing, were never going to see that awesome Earth/Romulan War; major bummer.

STILL, like Channe, I REALLY REALLY LIKED THE MOVIE ALOT!!! :) :thumbsup: I'ts great popcorn fun. Even If there is a void where a quality explanation would exist for the continuity issues, I had to take a stab at explaining since the movie did not do a sufficent job of it. But who cares STAR TREK IS BACK AND THE MOVIE ROCKS, TRULY ROCKS!!!! :cool: :thumbsup:

***B5-OBSESSED- Although your contributions are always greatly appreciated I think the 'Kurt Cobain qoute' deserves to be on the ADULT thread do to it's graphic language. Remember little kids can read this post. No offense my friend. PEACE OUT.

Last edited:
:
***B5-OBSESSED- Although your contributions are always greatly appreciated I think the 'Kurt Cobain qoute' deserves to be on the ADULT thread do to it's graphic language. Remember little kids can read this post. No offense my friend. PEACE OUT.

Noted and edited. Of course, it was relevant to this thread so I don't know how I could have put it somewhere else, unless I attached an appendix.

B5TV is a website dedicated to a show which was hardly for children. As such, little children have no business, and no reason, to be reading threads here, any discussion on the show this whole board is about will be unsuitable for kids by default, and it's not something posters need to think about when writing their posts. One is legally not allowed to be here under the age of 13.

Which is to say .. Shit, Piss, Fuck, Cunt, Cocksucker, Motherfucker and Tits.

B5TV is fairly lax when it comes to its members being allowed to use "fuck" and other "graphic language" in this posts, actually.

EDIT: I see Chilli got there before me. :p

I like the Nirvana analogy.

Green Day just released a new album. I freakin' love it to death, but everyone is all "they're so boring, being all political and crafting more mature songs.' So if I love Green Day's newer material, I should logically embrace the mainstreaming of Trek.

B5TV is a website dedicated to a show which was hardly for children. As such, little children have no business, and no reason, to be reading threads here, any discussion on the show this whole board is about will be unsuitable for kids by default, and it's not something posters need to think about when writing their posts. One is legally not allowed to be here under the age of 13.

Which is to say .. S%&@, P#^&, F!@#, C&*@, C#%()!#, M&^*!)(!~ and T%$!#.

:rolleyes: Okay I'm ultra confused here :confused: if this is norm then why bother with the NC-17 adult chat forum ?

From a creative point of view, this was basically a neccessity. Trek was dying under the weight of its own continuity, and a vocal but minor section of the fanbase was dragging the whole thing down by requiring that it was constantly adhered to, which was unworkable and a bit silly.

With this gone, screen-writers can be free from all of that, and a good thing too.

What I don't want to see is slightly naff rehashes. I mentioned Kahn earlier, but It would be good to see them try some really new stuff. Although Ricky Gervais or Will Ferrell would make a good Harry Mudd.
I went back and read all the old comments earlier on this thread and I couldn't pass up this one. Interesting points you made Darth Librarian and is your picture from a actual episode of the series or a goofy out take? Whatever it is it's funny. :LOL: So you feel that adhering to a strict set of structured rules to maintain continuity actually crippled The Classic Star Trek's ability to grow. A fascinating point of view. :vulcan: :)

I definitely agree that star Trek is for sure in need of a fresh transfusion, especially in the dull alien department. Voyger seasons 1 & 2 anyone? :scream: There was a lot of dorky looking aliens on season 1 & 2 of Voyager, very unimaginative face masks. I hated it, actually I didn't start watching until Seven of Nine came on it. But of coarse what guy didn't....;) I was single then. http://www.blockbuster.com/poll/sciFi/voteResults

Is it me, why is it most aliens on Star Trek are ugly as all Hell itself. :wtf: Save for the ones they paint a different color (Orion Slave girls) or add pointy ears too (Romulan or Vulcan babes). Why cant someone please give us a stylized alien that's goregous yet totally alien looking not humanoid apendages? Is there no one in the creation department with any new imaginative ideas from the 5 Star Trek shows? Like the blue opera singer in Fifth Element with the Star Wars T'wilik like long head; but only one not two. Now she was both very cool, totally alien and beautiful...... Did anyone see the reptilian women on the the new Star Trek Enterprise ship? She was very wicked cool looking. Now that's what I'm talking about, a fresh take on alien make-up. Star Trek needs more totally alien looking beings and less of these humanoid alliens, enough already. Save for Romulans, Klingons, Borg, Reman, Cardasians, Orions and the Dominion of coarse. BRING ON THE VERY ALIEN THOLIANS & GORN!!! MORE... MORE... MORE... LET"S BE FRESH AND DIFFERENT... :cool: Writers start writing people..... Let's revamp the franchise.

Those of you truly love Trek, how much do you feel a little annoyed that Trek used to be "our thing" and now it's all mainstream.

I started watching Star Trek in the TV lounge of my college dorm, in its first run. The place was packed. There were plenty of what would now be called geeks and nerds, but also plenty of jocks, and others. I thought of it as mainstream for young people. In fact, it would never have been canceled, if the age demographics they switched to preferring just a couple of years later, were in use then. I never really thought of it as a cult thing, unlike B5... ;)

I started watching Star Trek in the TV lounge of my college dorm, in its first run. The place was packed. There were plenty of what would now be called geeks and nerds, but also plenty of jocks, and others. I thought of it as mainstream for young people. In fact, it would never have been canceled, if the age demographics they switched to preferring just a couple of years later, were in use then. I never really thought of it as a cult thing, unlike B5... ;)

Yes why is that? Why isn'y B-5 getting the 5 pm time slot syndication like classic Star Trek? No wonder it's fan base isn't generating the same kinds of hype. That's what made Star Trek grow huge; all the youth watching it coming home from school. [As explained in the special show about the auction of all things StarTrek.] At this rate were never gonna see a spin off again. Not to mention they have so many channels to chose from now and the networks are sucking eggs on the Nelson ratings. Heh maybe a 5 pm B-5 syndication is just what they need. :) I wish.

Darth Librarian and is your picture from a actual episode of the series or a goofy out take? Whatever it is it's funny. :LOL:

Thats from "Turnabout Intruder", the last episode of Star Trek, where man-hating b***** Janice Lester trades bodies with Captain Kirk, and subsequently files his nails on the bridge and has irrational outbursts at the crew. Women rarely fared well in Star Trek.

To have topics actually focusing on sexual topics, and to have a place where you can post stuff you don't want people seeing over your back when you're at work. Like pictures of naked people.

Cool thanks Chilli, that was very non Shadow/Vorlon of you.

Thats from "Turnabout Intruder", the last episode of Star Trek, where man-hating b***** Janice Lester trades bodies with Captain Kirk, and subsequently files his nails on the bridge and has irrational outbursts at the crew. Women rarely fared well in Star Trek.

HAH.. :rommie: [I'm laughing at the files his nails part] :)

Last edited:

I miss Shatner's Kirk. :( I want him to appear in the next Star Trek movie. I hear there is talk Abrams is going to try and do it. :) I wonder if they'll use elements of the Borg story 'The Return'. :vulcan: I never read it myself.

I saw Star Trek V though, the one he directed. The script was poor. :rolleyes: Visted family a few years back and watched it with my dad he said, "No wonder they dont let him direct." Owch that hurt. :( Most Trekies ignore that movie. :wtf: They ignore it ever existed. Kinda like the Highlander fans that ignore Highlander II. :cardie:

But that aside, if they use basic elements from his book, I.E.- The Borg tech brings Kirk back to life. Turning him into a Borg to be a rep to assimulate Earth, (Picard Lucutis :borg: anyone," Best of Both Worlds I & II"). That could be interesting. But I think why bother, just go back using a Borg time travel sphere a few minutes and beam him aboard. I think the book cover said they used the tech to do it. Anybody out there actually wade through the book? :confused:

Shatner could stand to lose 75 lb though... :vulcan: Hey.... we could put him on Americas Biggest Loser, then put him on Survivor and finally Dancing with the Stars. That will trim him down real fast!!! I LIKE IT!!! :) :thumbsup:

***Totally off subject, here is a funny little piece from a Trek fan: :LOL::guffaw:
http://boards.startrek.com/community/messages.html?;act=ST;f=6;t=33330107

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back