• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Interesting article for DVD buyers

I don't think you need to worry too much about how future proof your DVD collection is. The red laser system is almost certain to win out simply BECAUSE of it's backwards compatibility. The only hope the blue laster systems have to combat that is to introduce systems with dual lasers (one new blue laster and one older model laser compatible with current DVDs). NO new disk format is going to succeed without backwards compatibility. The sheer amount of DVDs that people have bought already will destroy the sales of any non-backwards compatible player.

Backwards compatibility is extremely important.

Small lasers are not expensive so putting two colours on the read head is possible. With a bit of effort they can probably get a blue laser to read a red DVD, just poll at a different speed.

I wonder how much difference in quality there would be between HD red or blue systems. If the whole point of blue laser is that you could fit more data, does that mean that going with red laser compromises quality? If so, then what the hell is the point of even having HD-DVD? I mean, if you're trying to improve it, it should be as much as possible.

Those idiots! How much quality difference can there be? The average person will just say their DVD quality is good enough. I hope they invest millions and lose millions. Sure, more interactivity and so on would be great, but I don't think anyone wants a system that won't play what they already own. Studios want better copyright protection and they want us to spend the money again.

Hey while we're at it, would someone tell them to stop releasing more and more editions of things. Put everything in the first edition and quit being greedy! How many people really go out and buy every new edition of a movie they like? I don't, but it does make me avoid products when they first come out. How can I buy something that I know might be inferior next year? Plus, if a Special Edition does or doesn't come out I can always find that first release later for probably a lot less. This is why I love Criterion. I always know I am getting the best. Maybe not in Special Features, but in the quality itself. I do wish they would expand and come down in price. But, what am I telling you? I am sure we all feel the same. :D

The quality is quite noticeable. DVD quality is good, but it's not near what the technology is capable of. High-def TV is heads above DVD. I think it will be weird in 5+ years when TV broadcast will look better than DVDs.

As for double-dipping (special editions, et al), they're understandable in some cases. Many of the DVDs that were released when the format was new are not up to par. They often just took the same transfers they used for VHS or Laserdisc. Now studios are re-doing transfers, cleaning up film, restoring, etc.

If a "special edition" comes out to replace a mediocre DVD, I'm glad. And sometimes they just screw stuff up, like the Lawrence of Arabia disc supposedly has a lot of enhancement and the new Superbit comes out in the fall.

And, of course, you don't have to buy a new version. The new Ultra-Fantastic Terminator 2 has nothing of interest for me, so I'm happy with my Regular-Ultra version.

But I share your hesitation at buying a new DVD. Fortunately, I've only double-dipped twice: Casablanca and the Stanely Kubrick box set, the latter of which really pissed me off.

Sure, more interactivity and so on would be great, but I don't think anyone wants a system that won't play what they already own.

You mean like scrapping their LP collection in favor of CD's?

Hey while we're at it, would someone tell them to stop releasing more and more editions of things.

Well, sometimes there is a valid reason for a couple editions. Take the Lord of the Rings movies. I can see how someone might want to stick with the version that they saw in the theaters. I can also see how someone (like me ;) ) might prefer to have the "Extended Edition" with an extra half hour or so that PJ always wanted in the movie, but cut out purely for reasons of running time in the theater.

You could make similar arguments for movies such as: Apocalypse Now, Blade Runner, and the original Star Wars (and, yes, that is still how I think of it; not as "Episode IV: A New Hope").

GKE:
*the Stanely Kubrick box set, the latter of which really pissed me off.*

I saw the Kubrick box set on the shelf the last time I was browsing at Suncoast. I almost bought it, but decided against it at the last minute. What was wrong with it?

I know the quality will be better for HD-DVD, but will the average person care, probably not. They will get mad if it comes out in three years and they just spent a fortune buying DVDs. That coupled with the fact that DVD quality is very nice or good enough, as they'll say, will keep them away. Only the hardcore and wealthy will buy. I don't think the masses are worried about going HD and probably won't until 2010 when some of the idiot teenagers of today have some real money. (Not all Teenagers are idiots!)

Here is more of an explanation about the DVDs. What I think is they should get it right the first time. The first time there should not be mistakes they can control like what print they use. The first time should have all the special features. The first time should have the Theatrical Edition and the Extended Edition. They know exactly what is going to be on the DVD. It is their fault there are deficiencies in quality. They try to save on a crappy first release only to get your money again for a good 2nd or 3rd. Maybe the first release is pretty good, but not complete, so buy again. They know exactly what extras they can add and they don't because they want you to buy twice. I understand there are going to be uncontrolable mechanical problems that require a 2nd edition, but that is it. The technical people who do this stuff know the things we are talking about better than we do. A lot of them live for this stuff. I think the only reason you see things like aspect ratio problems is because they don't care about taking the time to make it right the first time becuase there will be people who buy again. All they have to do is pay attention to what they're doing and give me everything the first time. I mean, I am supposed to accept "We didn't try very hard on the first release, but we got your money. Here is a better release, give us your money again."

Another thing, if they say the first release is for the general public who might not care about all of the features, fine. Then the second release should have everything. It should have every possible special feature and every possible version of the film. I also think it would be fare if they came out and said with every release that there will be a special edition coming soon. Nobody would buy the first edition, but it would be fare to the consumer. Yeah, I'm crazy! I know a big part of a Special Edition release is how well the first release sells, but I also know they plan Special Editions for titles that don't sell. I'm crazy and I talk a lot! :LOL:

But usually it's not the same people releasing various editions of the same film. They're more like completely different projects.

I actually want them to release Special Editions of a couple DVDs I already have, like the long-awaited Goodfellas.

HeinlenFan, the first Kubrick box set contained 7 DVDs- Lolita, 2001, Dr Strangelove, Barry Lyndon, Clockwork Orange, Full Metal Jacket, and the Shining, which I bought. They then re-released it with the same titles, but Barry Lyndon got a much better transfer, and I think there were a couple of issues with 2001 and Dr. Strangelove as well. They also added Eyes Wide Shut and a documentary about Kubrick. The newer 9-disc set is the one to get and it's great. I was just pissed because I bought 7 disc set first.

You mean like scrapping their LP collection in favor of CD's?

I don't think that's an accurate analogy. CDs became mainstream 30 years after LPs. New generations started their music collections with CDs, and folks could justify re-purchasing an album they bought 20 years ago. Plus, the difference between CD and LP are way greater than DVD and HD-DVD. Portability, compatibility, etc- things CDs offered that just aren't possible with records.

DVD has only been around for 6 years. Very few people are going to re-buy dozens, maybe hundreds of titles so quickly for a new format which is so similar to the older one.

In the case of the special edition LotR having one addition with everything would require six discs. This would up the price. By releasing them seperate with notice of what was happening well in advanced they allowed consumers to choose for themselves what they wanted.

As for lps, they are slightly more difficult to play in a car.

Back