• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Star Trek *spoilers*

I believe it is intended to be consistent with the Star Trek universe as already established. However, the main story point of this movie has characters travelling into the past and changing the timeline. So, in a sense it can be considered both a prequel and a restart.

Do you think that is exactly what might be peeing the hardcore off?

Perhaps they would stomach a re-imagined reboot if it came out and stated that as the purpose... rather than draw a line under everything that has happened and rewrite it?

Bingo, Galahad. Thanks, by the way, Bester, for answering that. I do believe I did hear something about time-travelling and timeline rewriting (to explain the discrepencies).

That makes m feel the project isn't to be taken as seriously, somehow. But that alone probably wouldn't ruin my enjoyment of the film. But someone who'd make a decision like this may be more apt to make a movie that uses cheap "outs" rather than clever writing. That's my fear.

And is there some reason to bring Archer in it at all? That's one of the things that turned me off of fan fiction: it seems to needlessly drag in familiar characters for no real reason at all (other than, in some cases, to try to keep fans interested in an otherwise mediocre or even terrible storyline).

So this will be interesting. It'll have to be fantastic for me to see it in the theater, but I'm sure someone will update some thread when it's out on DVD. And if you folks around here say it's fantastic, I may even venture into the theater to see it if time/health/life permits.

I assume it'll be big enough to get here. Small towns often don't carry films that aren't this year's Batman or Harry Potter. But I'd bet our main theater up north will have it, and there is also a little (cheaper) movie theater.

Do I need to backread, or when does this come out?

I'm not really sure myself what to think of this movie. The trailer doesn't look bad, but I'm not liking the idea of the time traveling aspect and the fact that these characters might have all happened to have known each other from the academy, considering they're all of varying ages. Wasn't McCoy actually the second doctor on Kirk's Enterprise? I know there was a different one in the original pilot with Captain Pike but I seem to remember another one even after him, although I think he may have only been in one episode.

I don't know. Maybe this will end up being a fresh start for the franchise. I may even like it given what I've read about the storyline and time travel and all that. I guess we'll all find out in about 6 months or so.

I'm not really sure myself what to think of this movie. The trailer doesn't look bad, but I'm not liking the idea of the time traveling aspect and the fact that these characters might have all happened to have known each other from the academy, considering they're all of varying ages. Wasn't McCoy actually the second doctor on Kirk's Enterprise? I know there was a different one in the original pilot with Captain Pike but I seem to remember another one even after him, although I think he may have only been in one episode.

I don't know. Maybe this will end up being a fresh start for the franchise. I may even like it given what I've read about the storyline and time travel and all that. I guess we'll all find out in about 6 months or so.

Yes, the Cage, the original pilot, had a different captain (Pike), a different first officer (played by Majel Barrett), and a different older doctor. In fact, I believe the only character from the Cage they brought back for the second pilot and remainder of the series was Spock- the only character Roddenberry refused to sacrifice to please network execs.

The dynamic of the doctor-captain relationship was always supposed to be that of sage/father-figure. In the Cage, that was more blatant with that doctor's older appearance, though DeForest Kelly was by far the oldest actor on the series once it got picked up.

As a somewhat hard core older fan of TOS, I can say that I wouldn't mind as much the time-traveling aspect of this and its "interfering" with the way things originally unfolded in the TOS/Trek universe and re-writing parts of it. What I don't like at all, are some of these ideas floating around about how the TOS crew all knew each other before hand, if that turns out to be true. While I get the scenes where we see them all on the bridge are supposed to be during the TOS timeline when Kirk was captain, its the earlier aspects that have me wondering.

I think the important thing for "hardcore" fans to remember, is that you really don't have to consider this a "Trek Re-Write." This is NOT Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek. This is JJ Abrams Star Trek, and they will be totally different. You dont like the changes he makes? You really don't have to accept any of them. Its a different piece of "art/entertainment" that is being made.

Someone compared this to comic book fans. Comic Book fans have their characters CONSTANTLY re-invented depending on who is writing them. Do you like Dennis O'Neal's Batman in the 70s, or do you like Frank Miller's Dark Knight Batman better? Comic book fans don't look at them as the same characters per say, as each time its a different artists take on the character. They dont seem so sensitive to the changes in that genre for some reason.

This is essentially what is happening with this movie and "reboot." Just remember its JJ Abrams' Star Trek, and take it with a grain of salt.

That's an excellent perspective. Like a play that's reinvented over and over again (such as going from Romeo and Juliette to West Side Story, or The Tempest to Forbidden Planet).

And any sense of "loyalty" of "fans" shouldn't be expected either. This is simply someone saying "I like this idea, I'd like to give it my own spin".

I'll hear more about it before I decide if I want to see this new interpretation. But I will try to remember to go in with that perspective.

You really can't take too much away from any trailer. It's aimed at the masses and is highlighting the action. The team involved keeps saying that they are adhering to canon (official Trek) wherever it is present and working around holes where it is not.

Agewise, most of the actors are in the range they are supposed to be, with the exception of John Cho, who is way too old. Anton Yelchin, I believe is only 17 or 19. Although we see Kirk riding his bike to the construction site of the Enterprise, I'm inclined to believe the main action of the film will happen several years later, with Kirk in his late 20s, only a few years from getting his own ship and the much younger Chekov having only recently begun his training. I'm thinking Pike has already retired from active command and is already training cadets (he did want a career change, remember?), with Spock as a student instructor, a postion Kirk also held at one point. It would explain the absence of Doctor Boyce, Number One, etc ,etc.

The situation is depicted as an emergency with cadets and officers alike being assigned to various ships, so the posting is not permanent. Kirk wasn't even supposed to be onboard. He will meet these people but will not get all of them under his command immediately - you wouldn't fill the bridge with all green officers would ya?

This works for me.

Damn, here I am, a recovering Trekkie, and what happens? Trailer sucked me right back. From the red alert sirens to the cast to the pretty ships and pretty explosions ... hooked. Must See. Want Now.

For, lo! It is The Fast And The Furious In Space.

And I will see it anyway, and pay my $10, and nitpick, and it will be just like the old days! <3

Welcome back channe... think this is the first I've seen of you here since my return from my own long exile a couple of years back!

RECOIL!!!!!!!!

HOW'VE YOU BEEN, MAN.

I've been mostly offline. ;) I still love B5. You? :)

Hello Garovorkin! HI GALAHAD!

(I am totally old school. ;) )

RECOIL!!!!!!!!

HOW'VE YOU BEEN, MAN.

I've been mostly offline. ;) I still love B5. You? :)

Hello Garovorkin! HI GALAHAD!

(I am totally old school. ;) )

I've been good! I can never be offline I don't think. ;) I check this site at least once a day. Still love B5 of course. Its been a couple years since I watched it through, so I'm thinking sometime in the next few months I may fire it up again.

How are things with you?

Holy shit! Welcome back, channe!

Not that I've done much moderating the past year or two, but we should probably get this back on topic. :D

Latest posts

Members online

Back