• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Dr Who - Season 30 (4) [SPOILERS]

Well, that was fantastic. After last weeks bombastic weirdness, we got a tight, character driven episode with everyone playing a part, and with a great bitter sweet ending. Very happy. A wonderful swansong for RTD and a great handover to the new management. The only problem was that the Daleks were defeated a bit too easily.

Otherwise, well done.

That just leaves one question
Spoiler for Season 6:

Who will be the new companion?

Please, please Lord:

Spoiler for One of Galahad's wildest Dreams:

Sally Sparrow

It would make me a very happy man.

No insider knowledge... just a hope.:thumbsup::thumbsup::eek:;)

Galahad Saw season 4 finale Journey's End , it was quite good . I'm not familiar with Sally but yes she is most attractive.

And in relation to what I have posted in the other Forum, I can tell you that if it had been Carey Mulligan performing with the RSC, who kept running into me... I'd have definitely asked for her phone number by now.

I actually got a thumbs down for suggesting the sparrow for companion on a clip on YouTube. Goodness knows why.

I just saw Midnight, and was struck by how much it resembles modern Japanese horror films, like by Kiyoshi Kurosawa, and others. I liked it, but it was VERY different for a Doctor Who!

I watched Midnight too and for my first Dr. Who episode, I thought it was kinda odd. The actor who plays the Doctor is likeable enough though so I might be willing to give the show some more episodes before I decide if I like it or not.

I watched Midnight too and for my first Dr. Who episode, I thought it was kinda odd. The actor who plays the Doctor is likeable enough though so I might be willing to give the show some more episodes before I decide if I like it or not.

RW7427 you have come in near the end of the series. You are about to see a 3 episode story which reference the previous episodes. it will be interesting to see if you can understand what is going on.

Note; Rose the blond girl was the Doctor's companion for series 1 and 2.

RW, Midnight is a very atypical ep, and as AMS says, near the end of the series. If you get BBC America, look for The Doctor there, and you can see last year's eps, then this year's.

Wow, what a time to suddenly try out the series. :wtf:

I hope you'll netflix some episodes from last season, or something, RW. As has been emphasized, you've joined the series at a bit of an awkward moment. So do give it a chance, and more than just finishing out this season, maybe try to get some episodes from season 2 and on. Or season 1 if you don't mind seeing another actor playing the doctor.

The Beeb is reportedly offering £1.5 million for Tennant to stay on after the specials. I really hope he does. He's managed to worm his way into the position of my favorite Doctor.

Unfortunately, the source today is the Sun, which is generally not considered reliable. Note that they're also carrying a story claiming Amy Ho-house could be the next Doctor. Well yeah, she could very well be.. just as well as I could be the next Doctor.. and to think, we'd both be just as awful at it.

The Sun used to have good contacts on the Doctor Who set, possibly one of the (ex-)producers.

To play a female Doctor a very good actress would be needed. A drunk singer does not fit that category.

A gender change for the Doctor is an issue that splits people... especially the most ardent fans, right down the middle.

And it's not as simple as men for the idea and women against.

During the media frenzy surrounding the regeneration cliffhanger, the idea of a female Doctor was suggested by a BBC Breakfast presenter... it was shot down by a woman who was a lifelong fan od Doctor Who.

I'm in the "against" camp on that one as well.

Count me in the "against" as well. It's stunt-casting, pure and simple.

If it had been established long ago that the Doctor was able to go back and forth between genders, I wouldn't have a problem with it. After ten male Doctors in a row, it would just seem like begging for more publicity. Frankly, Who does not need it right now.. the S4 finale was the first-ever-for-Who highest rated show of the week.. and of the 31 'Who episodes that have been in the top ten for ratings, Tennant has 20 of them. I'd say they're not hurting for publicity. 'Who is, proverbially speaking, en fuego.

I'm thinking of Romana's regeneration. Female timelords even regenerated differently than male ones did, right? The whole comic scene where she's choosing a body, right?

A female doctor was great for the Rowan Atkinson charity "Who" he did. The one where (? Jonathan Pryce?) played the Master, who kept falling into the Bog-of-eternal-stench. :devil:

But that's because it was all fun. I'd just think they'd have to really stretch it to have the doctor now do a sex-change regeneration. And it would be blatant pandering. Having the doctor regenerate into a negro, has that been discussed as much as regenerating into a woman? Have we ever seen a negro time lord, now that I think of it?

I have to admit, I find it interesting that a different-sex-doctor would bother you, but not a different-race-doctor. Any idea why that is? Just curious. Would you go for an American doctor? :p

;)

Have fun at your camp. Interesting thing to have for a summer camp theme. :D

For the most part, it's because on a certain level, I do relate to the Doctor... and I would be extremely uncomfortable with anything coming along that would stand in the way of that. An ethnic change would not make a blind bit of difference...but a gender swap would certainly do that.

I appreciate strong female leads... but I do so for completely different reasons. When I watch a film like Amelie or a show like Buffy, or from Doctor Who... the episode Blink; I like the main characters because I'd like to hang around girls like that.

But when I see a male characters I Iike.... it's usually because I relate to them, I can see something of myself in their character.

So I'm drawn to both concepts for different reasons (and perhaps I should post a list to this effect in another thread). To have one show that has meant so much to me for one reason... suddenly change overnight and not be that any more, would be like having my nuts symbolically cut off. Yes I realise I sound like Londo.

Yes I do realise there's a deep fear of misandry that is somewhat fuelling this but you also have to remember that people are very possessive about the Doctor. they usually latch onto one of his incarnations and say that he was "their Doctor". Tennant even got the chance to say it onscreen to "his" Doctor " 3 minutes and 30 seconds into this clip from Time Crash... you can tell he said it with genuine conviction.

As for an American Doctor, I probably would be resistant but not as vehemently opposed to a woman Doctor.

But you see if you ask the British... they will say that the Doctor epitomises Britishness/Englishness and it would therefore makelittle sense to cast an American.

However with the right actor,I could probably be convinced... eventually.

Incidentally whilst prepping stuff for the church summer camp I'm doing, I noticed a massive mistake in Blink. Watch this clip and pay special attention to 3 minutes 40 seconds in. The camera is mounted too low and you can see all the scaffolding and rigging holding the floor to the TARDIS set, up.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back