• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

What were the "worst" B-5 Episodes?

Re: What were the \"worst\" B-5 Episodes?

I'm so glad B5 is not finished and that JMS has full creative control.. It always bothered me that such a fantastic story ended with what felt like a protracted anticlimax, then a whirlwind of disappointments and cancellations and mitigating factors which left a bitter aftertaste..

Not true. At least about the "not finished" part. The rest is obviously an opinion of yours, which I don't happen to share.

Others will probably explain this better than I will, but Endgame was supposed to take place maybe 1/3 through Season 5, but the timetable got bumped up a bit when the cancellation rumors went around. Season 5 did have a lot of meaning. IMO it was strongest in the first 1/3 of the season (gave us a lot of story building up to a Telepath War), and the last 1/3 of the season dealing with Londo/GKar relationship and future...the last 4 episodes being some of the best of the show. The middle 1/3 of the season seemed rather pointless I guess.

But you really can't say that Babylon 5 didn't "complete" because it did 100%. The Babylon 5 story is over. These "Lost Tales" and anything else that might come either give us insights into little side stories that we never knew about, or tell different stories in the same universe.

Oops, I'd better clarify the 'not finished' part of what I said.. The main storyline is obviously 100% finished (I love that final 1/3 of Season 5 and the sense of closure it brings), but the fact remains that a spinoff was mooted even at the time S5 was made, and JMS used some of the space that had been freed up when S4 was compressed to develop threads that could pay off outside the B5 arc (most obviously the telepath crisis and the Drakh). Then Crusade and LotR introduced even more maddening loose ends, like the plague, the apocalypse box, and the Hand.. I know JMS has said that he was happy simply to have completed B5, and given the lifespan of the average sci-fi series that was a very sensible and realistic comment.. It doesn't stop me wanting more (and that's a personal thing because I know many are happy with what's already there). So when I said I was glad B5 was not finished, that was just my lazy shorthand for the B5 universe in general, not the original B5 story..

i too, had a problem withseason 5, and not just becuse of byron, i generally hated the entire telepath arc, but season 5 really did pick up with the war on the centauri. however i found antoher episode i didn't enjoy, interludes and examinations, just finished going back through season 3 and i can honestly say i didn't enjoy the episode. I don't know why, it just didn't pop for me.

however i found antoher episode i didn't enjoy, interludes and examinations, just finished going back through season 3 and i can honestly say i didn't enjoy the episode. I don't know why, it just didn't pop for me.

The episode where Sheridan gets Kosh to send a Vorlon fleet to attack the Shadows, the episode where the Vorlons first engage and defeat the Shadows in modern times, the episode where Kosh is killed, didn't "pop" for you, and you list it amongst the worst episodes? :rolleyes: Incredible. :rolleyes:

hey i'm sure somebody probably thought severed dreams was shit, (though it does rock, in many ways i think point of no return is a better episode) i honestly don't know why i didn't enjoy Interludes, it was an important episode that directly affected every episode afterwards, but that doesn't mean i have to enjoy it, and i certainly don't fast forward through it, for me it isn't an enjoyable episode, but it isn't unenjoyable either.

I loved Severed Dreams but there's one bit that really annoys me....

It's the cheesy guy who starts the applause off at the end of the episode. It's just the way he does it, ot just gets to me.

i too, had a problem withseason 5, and not just becuse of byron, i generally hated the entire telepath arc, but season 5 really did pick up with the war on the centauri.

For me that telepath arc would probably work better if we'd seen more of the telepath war later on, and what all that 'remember Byron' stuff actually led to idealogically..

Also it bothers me that Bester's final appearance is in 'Corps is mother, corps is father', and unlike all B5s other recurring villains he doesn't get a proper onscreen sendoff (I think he was down to appear in Crusade if it had only been cancelled one episode later).

I only read the telepath trilogy recently, and now I see that character and those arcs in a completely different light. I'd love to know the rest of that story.

i honestly don't know why i didn't enjoy Interludes, it was an important episode that directly affected every episode afterwards, but that doesn't mean i have to enjoy it, and i certainly don't fast forward through it, for me it isn't an enjoyable episode, but it isn't unenjoyable either.

But, the title of this thread is

What were the "<u>worst</u>" B-5 Episodes?

...and that doesn't seem to jibe with...

"...and i certainly don't fast forward through it, for me it isn't an enjoyable episode, but it isn't unenjoyable either."

Back