• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

About rotk and mouth of Sauron.

GeoKuutio

Regular
Well, many who have read the book knows, that before orcs start attacking on men of west, there should have been mouth of sauron who would show the mithril shirt of Frodo etc etc.

Well, eventually, it was filmed but didn't ever maked it into final cut. Here's the quote from TORN

Roheryn writes: This small item jammed with familiar names appeared in the January 16 issue of Entertainment Weekly. Interesting to note that if Bruce Spence had made it into the final cut of the theatrical release of ROTK as the Mouth of Sauron, he would have topped Hugo Weaving in this tally!

Well, at least those who have played rotk game know how he looks like.

I believe the "Mouth of Sauron" scene is one of the things that will be added for the Extended Edition on DVD, so even those who don't play computer games will be able to see him in the movie. :)

Regards,

Joe

Seems to be Joe.

I think this may have been one of the easiest cuts to make. It may partially change why they're charging but would not seem to add enough to the movie to justify it being there.

Seems to be Joe.

I think this may have been one of the easiest cuts to make. It may partially change why they're charging but would not seem to add enough to the movie to justify it being there.

I disagree. When he shows Frodo's mithril vest, well, I would think that "crap, Frodo has failed his mission". It would bring more drama to the whole "black gate" scene back there...

The thing is, I think that the length of the theatrical cut of RotK (at 3 hrs. 20 min.) had reached the point of being a zero-sum game (kinda like an episode of B5). For every extra bit that you put back in, an equivalent amount of time has to come out from other places.

That would mean that the question ceases to be "Would this scene add anything?", but rather becomes "Does the movie work better with this 5 minutes in and that 5 minutes out, or the other way around?"

Unless you can screen the movie both ways (like in the editing room), it can be hard to say what all of the semi-intangible effects on the feeling produced due to pacing etc. such a swap of screen time might have.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back