• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Crusades "Fifth" Season-What Would've Happened?

Re: Crusades \"Fifth\" Season-What Would\'ve Happened?

Thanks for the vocabulary lesson. It's a nice word to use to impress people.

One of the funniest things, to me, is when someone uses a word or term that no one in the room knows, but no one asks what it is because they're afraid to look stupid. I love making up terms and using them that way, making people think that "frenogrology" is a real scientific term.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

Thanks for asking.
smile.gif

I don't often get to use it in conversation...

It just seemed such a fitting description here.
laugh.gif

Ro

------------------
A ship in a port is safe, but that's not what ships are for.

Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper

Here is an idea. Perhapse the cure for the plague is related to the telepath virus. In Deconstruction of falling stars there is no mention of telephas and the same is true for Sil. I don't remeber if there are any refrence in the Wheel of Fire trilogy???? I think that would make an interesting story as you would have telephas just getting away from the Psi Core and then they run right in to there destruction sacrifising themselves for the whole. It would also be an interesting continuation of the conflict betwee nthe shadows and the Vorlons. I don't know if this would have fit, But it would have been an intersting story. What do you thing

------------------
Scott Gifford

Please pardon the spelling errors, grammer errors and various sarcastic overtures

Actually, there are several references to Telepaths, the colony Sheridan allowed them to establish and the subsequent problems in both the 2263 and 2362 segements of "Deconstruction" There isn't a mention in the last two segments, but then, there isn't any particular reason why there would be.

There is no mention of telepaths in the last few S5 episodes because Lyta is gone, and there aren't any other teeps in the inner-circle. Ditto "SiL" There is no reason in that story for the subject of telepaths to come up, and Lyta isn't at the dinner. "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." Just because no one happens to mention teeps, doesn't mean they aren't around. The subject of Eskimos hardly ever comes up in conversation around my house, but I'm reasonably sure they exist.
smile.gif

Telepaths were certainly active in the EA and the IA up until about six years before. "SiL" Lt. Matheson of the Exaclibur was a teep.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

Those are defiantly valid points, however Lt. Matheson being a teep would aid in the story. The crew haviong to decside if they are willign to sacrife one of their own to save the rest. I agree that the lack of refrences does not mean that there are no teeps at all, and an event like that would most likly merit refrence. however there is the parrall to the Hyach. They killed off a co-evolved species and then covered up all evidense of it. I doubt that is were JMS planned to take it, but I think that it makes and intersting what-if

------------------
Scott Gifford

Please pardon the spelling errors, grammer errors and various sarcastic overtures

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> They killed off a co-evolved species and then covered up all evidense of it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, as the Hyach discovered to their sorrow, it Wasn't a seperate species at all. It was more like what We still call a Racial difference.
The group that was wiped out tended to grow Beards while the rest didn't.
That's not enough of a difference to justify calling them a seperate species.

Plus, different species don't have Children together.
When was the last time you saw a cross between a Dog & a Cat??

The two Hyach races not only Were fertile together, the group that was wiped out carried genes crucial to the survival of All the Hyach.

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

Sorry for the mistake there. I think hte diffrence was a bit more than a diffrent race. I think it was more along the lines the diffrence in certain dog breeds. Wereas there is very little actual diffrences between human races ie skin color, hight and some facial features. Dog breesd for example can differ substancialy. I think the Hyachdo, I think thats what they were called were closer to a seperate species then to a seperate race. IMO They probably started as the same species, then two groups were isolated and evolved seperatly however they did not evolve to the point that mating becomes impossible. So they are techically not a seperate species. Thanks for the clarification bakana

------------------
Scott Gifford

Telepaths are mentioned and used in the third Centauri book. There is noting to suggest that all of the teeps were not human. This is only 2 to 3 years before 'Sleeping in Light'.

------------------
Andrew Swallow

[This message has been edited by A_M_Swallow (edited September 08, 2001).]

Possible Psi Corp Trilogy spoiler:

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>Bester doesn't die until the day after Sheridan does in 2281 and there are a few other of his cohorts alive during that time, so telepaths are still around. </font></td></tr></table>

------------------
"The war is never completely won. There are always new battles to be fought against the Darkness. Only the names change."--Delenn

Any way to read these scripts from the end of the first season you guys keep refering to. I feel so left out. And I thought I was a die-hard fan.
frown.gif

------------------
"There is no memory with less satisfaction in it than the memory of some temptation we resisted."
-Harlan Ellison quoting James Branch Cabell

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Any way to read these scripts from the end of the first season you guys keep refering to. I feel so left out. And I thought I was a die-hard fan.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They were available in what was thought to be a secure, read-only form at a commercial website called Bookface.com. I read them there at the time. When it was announced (in advance) that Bookface.com was going to close some fans either did screen image captures that they later ran through optical character recognition software or opened a word processor in a window next to their browser and typed them manually to "preserve" them for fans after Bookface was no more.

They circulated via e-mail and were posted on various websites for the better part of a year until JMS became aware of them and asked the fans to please stop circulating his (and Fiona Avery's) copyrighted property. (The studio owns the show, but the writer retains publication rights to the scripts themselves, which are damaged when they're available for free on the 'net.) A lot of people assumed that if they weren't charging for the scripts they weren't doing anything bad or illegal, but this turns out not to be the case.

The fans complied, out of respect for the authors if nothing else, including those on this site. The scripts are no longer being passed around, and I believe Antony has a policy against folks offering to exchange the scripts or directing people to on-line sources for them.

From time to time JMS has made noises about publishing both the filmed and unfilmed Crusade scripts at some point (as well as his own B5 scripts.) My copy of his novel Tribulations actually has a blurb asking the reader to watch for upcoming announcements about the project, but I think for the time being he's got other things on his mind.

He has an enormous number of projects on his plate, and little time to prep the scripts for publication. (Which is more work than you might think. Notes and abbreviations that would be understood by the cast and crew have to be spelled-out for laymen. Working scripts are often printed and distributed with typos and misspellings that would have to be fixed. Etc., etc., etc. If he were going to add footnotes or commentaries to the scripts there would be that much more work.)

Finally there is now a chance (as there really wasn't when the scripts appeared on Bookface) that the show might come back. If Rangers becomes a successful series Sci-Fi will almost certainly at least consider reviving Crusade, so those scripts could still be filmed, conceivably.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

I know of someone who purchased the Fiona Avery script when it was offered at a con for about $40.00.

This individual then sent copies to a number of friends at no charge, thinking she could legally do so since she had purchased it.
However it seems even this is illegal, just as it is illegal to xerox a book (although many people do it)
crazy.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> just as it is illegal to xerox a book <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And the Xerox Corporation objects to your use of their Name as a Verb.
smile.gif
smile.gif

Neep Warning:
[Neep]
It's their Trademark.
If you did it in a National Publication, their lawyers wouyld send you a letter asking that you use the word "Photocopy" in the future.

It actually has a LOT of precedent in the law.
Trademarks are worth a lot of money.
Aspirin was originally a Trademark. The company which owned it didn't send letters when people used it as a "generic" name for headache pills.
Because tehy didn't object, they no longer have any rights to the name "Aspirin" so everybody gets to use it on their headache pills.
The company lost a LOT of money when other companies started selling "Aspirin" because, just like now, doctors said "Take two aspirin and call me in the morning".

In the case of Xerox, how much money does the company lose if Any copier is OK when the boss says "go buy a new Xerox machine"??
[/Neep]

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
Actually the search for a cure to the plague was never what Crusade was about. We knew the plague got cured going in (from a couple of B5 episodes) so there was no way JMS was going to try to string that idea out for five years. (Even on B5 he said that no major mystery could go unresolved much more than a season, because then you just start annoying people the way Twin Peaks and The X-Files did.)

Even the Shadow War proper only lasted about a season, maybe a seaon and a half. By then we were off dealing with threads that weren't even visible in the first season. And S5 dealt specifically with the aftermath and effects of all that had been done in the previous four seasons. I expect that Crusade would also have covered a number of unrelated or only loosely related threads in the course of the five years.

An apparent cure for the plague would, in fact, have been found in season two, taking a lot of the pressure off Earth. JMS has said that the cure would "not be what it seemed to be." Most people take this to mean that it would not really cure the disease. My personal theory is that it would have, but it would also have done something else, something nobody expected. (Literally a case of the cure being worse than the disease.)

Going back to what JMS said - the crew of the Excalibur would discover the problem with the cure - whatever it was exactly - but no one would believe them. More than likely what they learned would tie in with what Gideon and company discovered in a late S5 script and the first season finale, both of which JMS made available for reading on Bookface.com. Excalibur and her crew would then have gone renegade, trying to gather evidence to back up their claims and save Earth from the mistakes of its own government.

All that stuff looked like it was going to be the heart of the story anyway. The plague itself was never more than a hook to get us into the show, and to start Excalibur on her mission. By the time we reached S5 the plague business would be old news and we'd be in the midst of the real story.

Regards,

Joe

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like the ep on B5 where the DeathWalker (???) had the cure for immortality, but to use it would mean a life for a life (so to speak). Which would gain immortality and which would have to die to give it.

------------------
Colleen L. Stanford
Gideon's Mine, all Mine
(he just doesn't know it yet, LOL)

Maybe you have something there I'm not suggesting it for a minute so don't all jump on me at once. However, what if either Earth or Excalibur cAme across a stockpile of that exact serum, in J'Ha'Dur's abandoned laboratory or something. Maybe it's imperfected and it just extends human lifespan by a considerable length as a pose to offering immunity. The Excaliburs reseacrhers discover what it is by crossreferencing with the Earth Alliance Computer Systems, or by cunning cameo of Stephen Franklin. That would give the crew further impetus to go renegade.

Not my belief necessarily, just a rogue thought!

------------------
"We Live for the One. We die for the One!"

I think the reason they'd go rouge is pretty much spellt out in End of the Line.

------------------
You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion.
-- Harlan Ellison qouting Gustave Flaubert

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back