• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Babylon 5 Season DVDs

idealhobbies

First of all... Hello everyone. I have a question about the DVD's that I'm hoping someone will help me out with. I used to be a big Babylon 5 fan but after getting married, quit watching. My wife did not like Sci-Fi and pissed and moaned when I watched it. So, in the interest of keeping peace, I laid off. Now we are divorcing, and now that I have this freedom to watch what I want, I'm looking into getting the series on DVD. What I'm wondering is:

Are the "movies" on the Series DVD sets? I've seen the "movies" in their own box sets, so I'm guessing that they separated the "movies" from the series? I personally didn't consider them movies, but long episodes. If I wanted, (And I do) the ENTIRE series, what will I need to purchase in order to get it all, from the opening movie to the final? I appreciate any assistance in this matter.

Last edited:
First of all... Hello everyone. I have a question about the DVD's that I'm hoping someone will help me out with. I used to be a big Babylon 5 fan but after getting married, quit watching. My wife did not like Sci-Fi and pissed and moaned when I watched it. So, in the interest of keeping peace, I laid off. Now we are divorcing, and now that I have this freedom to watch what I want, I'm looking into getting the series on DVD. What I'm wondering is:

Are the "movies" on the Series DVD sets? I've seen the "movies" in their own box sets, so I'm guessing that they separated the "movies" from the series? I personally didn't consider them movies, but long episodes. If I wanted, (And I do) the ENTIRE series, what will I need to purchase in order to get it all, from the opening movie to the final? I appreciate any assistance in this matter.

The Box sets in the US are as follows:
S1
S2
S3
S4
S5
Movies Collection
The Gathering/In The Beginning Flip disk (Not neccessary if you buy the Movie set)
Rangers Pilot (To live and Die in Starlight)
Crusade Series
Disk 1 of The Lost Tales

The Movies are not part of the Season box sets, although there is a "Universe Box set" which contains everything but the Lost Tales DVD

There's some good sales going on in brick and mortar stores, as well as through Etailing (Amazon is currently selling the seasons for $39.99 ea, but, some stores are selling even cheaper)

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I can't seem to find the Universe Box set in USA (Region 1). Is there one? That set would be great.

I see that Netflix has the series.... that makes it worth a membership. What are the movies and in what order? Thanks a lot by the way. I'm getting excided. I know... it's silly, but I missed some of my favorite shows.

First off: What do you know and when did you know it?:D There are several threads suggesting viewing order. How far did you get into the series before tuning out? And whats your tolerance for "spoilers"?

Oh, and welcome to the board.:beer::beer::beer:

I see that Netflix has the series.... that makes it worth a membership. What are the movies and in what order? Thanks a lot by the way. I'm getting excided. I know... it's silly, but I missed some of my favorite shows.

I've only heard of the Complete Universe set, and only recalling hearing about it from Europeans, so, it's very possible it's only a Region 2 set.

The movies in the Movies box set are:
The Gathering (Pilot, re-edit)
In The Beginning (Some prefer to watch after War Without End, some believe it is a Good Pilot)
Thirdspace (Belongs near the end of S4 somewhere around Epiphanies, but is self contained, so not really an issue to watch out of order)
River of Souls (Season 5)
A Call to Arms (Pre-Pilot for Crusade)

Additionally there is the Rangers Pilot which is only available by itself - B5: Legend of the Rangers (To Live and Die in Starlight)

and of Course - Babylon 5: The Lost Tales (Voices in the Dark) which isn't a movie persay, it's two short side stories that make up about 45-50 minutes of airtime. One story features Lochley, the other features Sheridan and Galen.

Yes, it is a shame the Complete Universe boxset is only Region 2; because it's a good buy. Being in the UK, I grabbed it myself!

If you have a DVD player that can be hacked to play any region, it'll be well worth for you trying to import it.

Great. Thanks a lot. I don't know exactly where I left off. It's been a long time. I did catch episodes here and there, and Sheridans death episode. I just want to start from the beginning and go from there. I appreciate the responses.

I did get to watch Crusade... unfortunate that it only ran 1 season. It had potential.
Just had a slow start. Could have evolved more if they had given it another season.

The network screwed things up for Crusade, and as they shot only 13 episodes, it was only half a season out of an intended five-season arc. So we just got a taste...

I and my boyfriend bought ourselves the Babylon 5 - Complete universe box set for last Christmas. I don't think I could date, never mind marry a guy who wasn't into sci-fi, as I don't watch much else! :p

The network screwed things up for Crusade, and as they shot only 13 episodes, it was only half a season out of an intended five-season arc. So we just got a taste...

I and my boyfriend bought ourselves the Babylon 5 - Complete universe box set for last Christmas. I don't think I could date, never mind marry a guy who wasn't into sci-fi, as I don't watch much else! :p

Yeah Crusade had potential but it was intentionally screwed by TNT. I really would have loved to see 5 years of that. (I hope they would have never done Legend of the rangers tough :p )

Yeah i got the same, wouldn't want to date girl who doesen't dig Sci-fi/fantasy, as im a big Sci-fi /fantasy fan myself. No one takes my Sci-fi away from me.

Yeah Crusade had potential but it was intentionally screwed by TNT. I really would have loved to see 5 years of that. (I hope they would have never done Legend of the rangers tough :p )

Yeah i got the same, wouldn't want to date girl who doesen't dig Sci-fi/fantasy, as im a big Sci-fi /fantasy fan myself. No one takes my Sci-fi away from me.

Yeah, I certainly agree, I loved Crusade and I was really disappointed where it ended. I want to see more of it! I also agree about Legend of the Rangers too, I thought that seemed a little weak! ;)

Sadly, my boyfriend isn't a big sci-fi fan... but I've made him watch a bit of B5 and he didn't seem to mind it.... :p

hmm, my partner of 10 years generally loathes it, and we seem to make do. Its actually quite useful in reminding me that there are other genres out there of interest.

My wife and I are both huge SF fans, but she loves classical music and hates rock, whilst I am the other way around to a great extent (although some classical music really does float my boat). That never caused us any hassle, and music is far more important in our house than TV.

Back