• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Babylon 5: The Complete Universe Box Set

After digging through the manulas of US PS2's I found that regional restrictions are followed. Now, I still don't know if you can change the regional settings to allow R2 playback in the US.

After digging through the manulas of US PS2's I found that regional restrictions are followed. Now, I still don't know if you can change the regional settings to allow R2 playback in the US.

You can buy so-called "bypass kit" for the PS2. At least they are sold in a couple of places... I just don't know how legal they are in US.

Sorry for what is obviously going to be a stupid question from a stupid questioner, BUT... Can DVDs in R2 format be watched without issue on a US ps2?

Found something: (Source http://seiryu.home.comcast.net/ps2faq.txt)
---------------------------------------
* 1.6 - Can I play PS2 games released in one region on a PS2 from another region?

No, since the PS2 has a territorial lockout. The reason for the lockout is because certain companies have the rights to distribute certain games in certain territories, and if there was no lockout, then some localization company is not going to be able to pay their employees.

The PS2 has four "regions" which can be determined by looking at the last number on the console's product number, which begins with an "SCPH-" and is written on the back of the console:
0 = Japan (JPN)
1 = United States and Canada (U/C)
2 = Australia and New Zealand
3 = Asia outside Japan
4 = Europe

Note that these codes are for PS2 games only. Video DVDs follow a different territorial lockout system:
* First of all, all PS2 models, careless of region, will read all region 0 (region-free) DVD discs.
* Region 0 PS2s will read all region 2 DVD discs.
* Region 1 and 4 PS2s will read all region 1 DVD discs.
* For region 2 PS2s, the DVD player will read region 2 DVD discs if youpurchased the PS2 in Europe or the Middle East. If you purchased it in Australia or New Zealand, then it will read region 4 DVD discs.
* For region 3 PS2s, the DVD player will read region 6 DVD discs if you purchased it in China. If you purchased it anywhere else in Southeast Asia, then it will read reagion 3 DVD discs.

Back