• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

various from jms - Monday, June 14, 2004 8:26 AM

Re: various from jms - Monday, June 14, 2004 8:26

I thought that Earth was built to figure out a better answer than '42'

''Keepers of the Past, The Present, and the Future.''

:devil:

I thought that Earth was built to figure out a better answer than '42'

IIRC, there was nothing wrong with the answer "42".

The problem was, the question was too vague. So the earth was built and placed under the supervision of mice to discover the "Ultimate question" to the "Ulitimate answer". :D

You really have to have taken a class in philosophy to appreciate the humor here, I think. :devil:

spoiler space for tHHGttG

a
s

i
f

w
e

n
e
e
d

i
t
:D

6 x 9 = 42 ...

hehe, no wonder the universe is screwed up ...

:LOL:

You really have to have taken a class in philosophy to appreciate the humor here, I think.

I used to take a two hour philosophy seminar in the evening. One of the professors would open each session with a single question to start the discussion. Sometimes it was a question directly related to whatever book we were reading, sometimes it was just an off-the-wall question to get us thinking in a new way. According to campus legend he once chose, "How many different kinds of things are there in the universe?" When a student replied, "42", he thought about it for a moment, then said, "Right", closed his copy of Plato or Aristotle or whoever they were studying, got up, gathered up his coat and briefcase and walked out of the classroom.

After waiting about 10 minutes to see if he would come back, the class decided it really was dismissed and everyone took the night off.

:)

Regards,

Joe

Centauri Emperor: "How will this all end?"

Kosh: "In silliness".

The problem was, the question was too vague. So the earth was built and placed under the supervision of mice to discover the "Ultimate question" to the "Ulitimate answer".

PICKINESS ALERT!!!!

Actually, they were pan-dimensional beings who happened to look like mice in our dimension...

I mean, mice building Deep Thought and then planning and supervising the Earth is just too silly... :D

Centauri Emperor: "How will this all end?"

Kosh: "In silliness".

The problem was, the question was too vague. So the earth was built and placed under the supervision of mice to discover the "Ultimate question" to the "Ulitimate answer".

PICKINESS ALERT!!!!

Actually, they were pan-dimensional beings who happened to look like mice in our dimension...

I mean, mice building Deep Thought and then planning and supervising the Earth is just too silly... :D
Oatley is completely correct on this point.

If I ever had a dream part, by the way, it would be as the very beloved, but short-lived whale. :devil:

"I wonder if it'll be friends with me...?"... :eek:

I much preferred the plant's take on that scene.

"Oh, no... not again."

I much preferred the plant's take on that scene.

"Oh, no... not again."
Well, now you are getting complicated. :p

I would kill for that roll... :devil:

Untentable position and all... :eek:

Back