• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Jump Point Inside A Planet

Truth_Seeker

Regular
I've been wondering what will happen if the navigation system of a spaceship capable of its own jump goes out of order and by mistake the ship jumps out of hyperspace directly inside a planet.Will it trigger an explosion big enough to destroy the entire planet or maybe big enough to make all the volcanoes erupt at the same time wiping out every form of life.

What do you think about it?

Last edited:
I don't know. I think it would just be solidified within the mass of the planet and squished to all heck, kind of imploding or something. But, I'm the exact opposite of a physicist. If we went to Bizzaro land, I'd be Einstein, that's how much I know about this stuff. :) So, take that as you will.

I don't know. I think it would just be solidified within the mass of the planet and squished to all heck, kind of imploding or something. But, I'm the exact opposite of a physicist. If we went to Bizzaro land, I'd be Einstein, that's how much I know about this stuff. :) So, take that as you will.

I'm not a scientist either so everything I presume could be a complete nonsense from a physicist's point of view:)!Anyway it's a fun to theorize about those things.

I've been wondering what will happen if the navigation system of a spaceship capable of its own jump goes out of order and by mistake the ship jumps out of hyperspace directly inside a planet.Will it trigger an explosion big enough to destroy the entire planet or maybe big enough to make all the volcanoes erupt at the same time wiping out every form of life.

What do you think about it?

I don't know about planets but JMS suggested that this may have been what happened when our Sun prematurely went Nova in 1,002,261.

He said that someone may have done it by opening jump points into the Sun to reduce it's mass...causing it to perish early. Possible suspects include humanity scuttling it's own cradle, some new future unknown nemesis, or even the vorlons making sure we fulfill our destiny... taking up position as the galaxies new custodians from the former vorlon homeworld... by which time we have earned the right to go.

Well, assuming that a jump point can be formed inside of matter, I would say that if a ship jumps into matter, i.e. tries to occupy the same space as other matter, such as the dense matter inside a planet, there would be a big explosion. How big, I couldn't guess. Surely it would cause notable seismic activity, possibly earthquakes, possibly increased volcanic activity. But would it cause the destruction of the planet? If the mass of the ship was great enough, and the planet small enough, and/or mostly frozen content, quite possibly. A Whitestar jumping into the center of the Earth? I doubt it would destroy the planet, but who can say. If it happened near an fault line, or a volcano, I would think the results would be disastrous.

If enough ships opened points within the sphere of the Earth's core it would dirupt the planets magnetic field and leave it vulnerable to harmful solar rays.

Either way I think you'd need it done repeatedlyto see really big stuff happen. Earth is big... very big in comparison to spacecraft.

I thought it was the atmosphere that protected us from the worst parts of solar rays, and the magnetic field that protected us from ejected charged solar particles (i.e. solar wind)?

Back