• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

San Deigo attack

Hrothgar

Remember weh Sinclair was recounting the major terrorist attacks on Earth? He mentioned San Deigo was attacked at some point.
Were there any details give about when it happend and who commited the act?

I know the events in Babylon 5 probably won't occur or anything. Just wondering.

BTW, hi Hrothgar as I don't think I have offically met you yet. ;)

According to the B5 Timeline:

c2150

* San Diego destroyed by nuclear terrorists ("The Gathering"). [The UT article describes it as "100 years ago" in 2257.]

Well, Walter was sixty-two when he filmed S4 and 5, and he turns 67 this September. Surely in 100 year's time medical science will have us living longer and retaining our youthful appearance and vigor longer. Humans seem to routinely pass 100 years of age in B5, so there is nothing terribly odd about the idea of Bester having his confrontation with G. while in his late 60s.

Regards,

Joe

Don't give me the creeps! I *live* in San Diego! :eek:

Well, so did JMS at one time. Doesn't seem to have bothered him. :)

Yeah, there are very few details given anywhere about the terrorist nuking of San Diego, despite several references to the event. An S1 Universe Today headline mentions attempts to reclaim some of the wasteland - or else reports on the failure of such attempts, I forget which. And, of course, the infamous Bureau 13 ran operation Lazarus and other projects from a secret base beneath the radioactive ruins of San Diego - certainly not a place where you'd have to worry about casual visitors snooping around. :)

Regards,

Joe

Well, so did JMS at one time. Doesn't seem to have bothered him. :)

Well, given what JMS did to Atlanta (and TNT of course) in Rising Stars, perhaps we can now understand why he picked on San Diego for terrorist nuking.

Man, those failed college relationships can leave you bitter!

:)

I dunno. Walter Koenig just seems 30 something to me. Maybe 40. But, to me, he'll always be that under sexed 22 year-old kid on the bridge of the Enterprise.

Wow! I've heard of not looking your age, but geez, I'd never would have guessed Koenig was in his 60s. I should have known that anyway, but it never entered my mind. I thought he was 40 something when he appeared on B5. lol

I was surprised as well when I read the telepath trilogy and realized how old Bester was. The guy just doesn't look it (at least when he has lots of make-up on).

About the ruins of San Diego, the doc says that he's seen the ruins and the nuclear device (or as President Bush says, NUCULAR) can be traced back to the fall of Russia (i think or eastern block maybe). Before 9/11 i suppose that the San Diego thing always seemed extreme or unbelievable to many people but now i think people realize how possible it really is. I wish everything was more like star trek where when we realize we aren't alone in the universe we decide to be nice to eachother.

I wish everything was more like star trek where when we realize we aren't alone in the universe we decide to be nice to eachother.

Babylon 5 actually operates in the same mentality- when aliens are discovered, it knocks away many of the differences between humans. Trek is just a bit more idealistic about it.

This is a premise which I question, but I guess it's necessary because dealing with seperate political entities within Earth would make the story far too complex. B5 still deserves much credit for mentioning the "blocs" within Earth, particularly Ivanova's involvement with the Russian politics. Also, the whole Mars conflict impressed me- the struggle for independence is a natural progression of colonial expansion, something completely ignored by Trek.

I wish everything was more like star trek where when we realize we aren't alone in the universe we decide to be nice to each other.

The greatness of B5 lies precisely in the fact that Human nature doesn't completely change in 100 years based on an external event or two. We're still the same noble, greedy, caring, intolerant naked apes we've always been. Giving us starships and plasma guns doesn't make us any nicer. And meeting a technologically advance race like the Centauri merely makes us polite and prudent (until we acquire similar technology ourselves.)

We don't all suddenly join hands and sing "Kumbaya". :)

Nor did Earth suddenly band together as a result of First Contact. If I recall correctly EarthGov predated the arrival of the Centauri, it was something we had been edging towards for over a hundred years. The world government doubtless became stronger, but it wasn't itself a reaction to the discovery of alien life. For that matter the Moon and Mars (and I think Io) were already colonies, so there was something like an Earth Alliance in place as well.

I also liked the fact that the aliens weren't much better. The Centauri are first decadent, later power mad and expansionist, the Narn are initially expansionist and aggressive, then worn-down, the Vorlons would just as soon kill you as look at you, and the oh-so-civilized Minbari can turn into genocidal maniacs and routinely use torture in questioning POWs - something even most Earth governments wouldn't do in 2003. (Certainly Lennier seems pretty matter-of-fact when he reports that Sinclair was tortured. And since he was nothing special to them, just one pilot among thousands whom they were pumping for info on Earth's defenses, there was no particular reason why they should use torture rather than drugs, threats or - hello, a TELEPATH - to find out what they wanted.)

Trek is an antiseptic and utterly unreal universe. I much prefer B5 with its messy, undisciplined people, its labor unrest, petty jealousies, small insults that lead to war (see WWI, origins), poverty, prostitution (threw that one in for GEE :)) and political corruption. Somehow I'm ore at home in that world. ;)

The first time that it got through to me that B5 might be something more than a "poor man's Trek" was the first time I caught the last twenty minutes or so of "Believers" and they killed the kid. That could never happen on Star Trek. And that was only a foretaste of "Confessions and Lamentations" when the doctor discovers a treatment (which we would expect in any show) but it is too late and an entire race that has played a fairly prominent part in the series since the first episode is suddenly wiped out. If the Trek writers had even dared consider such a "downer" ending - and I doubt they would have - they would have created a new race for the express purpose of killing them off, just as they would create a one-shot character or anonymous redshirt most times when a character had to die.

I'm glad that B5 was a show brave enough to do episodes like that, and that it wasn't "more like Trek."

Regards,

Joe

I dunno. Walter Koenig just seems 30 something to me. Maybe 40. But, to me, he'll always be that under sexed 22 year-old kid on the bridge of the Enterprise.

SPOILER FOR "DARK GENESIS" (Psi Corps Book #1):
Page 248 September 3, 2189, Stephen Kevin Dexter (Alfred Bester) is born.

SPOILER FOR "FINAL RECKONING" (Psi Corps Book #3):
Page 254, Stephen Kevin Dexter (a.k.a. Alfred Bester) dies in prison, in 2281 (after John Sheridan died; See Page 249.).

So, Bester was 92 when he died. He was 68 at the time of Mind War, and was 73 on September 3, 2262, during B5 Season 5, fairly close to Walter's actual age.

Babylon 5 actually operates in the same mentality- when aliens are discovered, it knocks away many of the differences between humans. Trek is just a bit more idealistic about it.

I don't entirely agree with this. Admittedly, there seems to be a great deal less racism and such between humans once aiens are discovered. However, I believe that the home-guard episodes of the first season pretty much spell-out an intraspecies conflict among the humans. That is, those who are "pro-earth" often want to harm/kill humans who "collaborate" with aliens.

Even more so, remember when Garibaldi performs that "magic trick" on the humans who were bad-mouthing mars during "A Voice in the Wilderness"? While much of it may have been built out of government propaganda, I think it's fair to say that earth-born humans and mars-born humans harbored a certain amount of hatred for their respective others.

BTW-As for Trek being an utterly unrealistic universe, I couldn't agree more. I never looked into the philosophy or morality, however, I just heard the "we no longer use money..." and knew it could never happen. ;)

Wow! I've heard of not looking your age, but geez, I'd never would have guessed Koenig was in his 60s. I should have known that anyway, but it never entered my mind. I thought he was 40 something when he appeared on B5. lol

He may be in his 70s, but he can still boogie on the dance floor ;)

I wish everything was more like star trek where when we realize we aren't alone in the universe we decide to be nice to eachother.

Hey look i'm quoting myself :)

I guess i phrased it wrong. I totally agree with you guys. I love how B5 is much more realistic. People still backstab eachother and fight for money and power. I was just refering to real life and how i wish it was more like trek. I'm tired of wars and countries caring more about how other perceive them than how their own people are living.

My favorite part of trek (favorite meaning it's totally stupid and unrealistic) is in first contact where Piccard explains to the chick he finds on the ship that earth doesn't use money any more and people stopped bickering and formed a perfect society. Always makes me laugh. If we ever find aliens the government and media will tell us to fear them and then use that to control us even more. No perfect society here bub.

Yes, of course humans fight each other in B5. My point was that intra-human hostilities are not based on nationality, ethnicitiy, religion, etc. It's only based on ideology.

For example, in the B5 universe, blacks are high ranking officials, on both sides of the law, and freely engage in inter-racial relationships (ie, Talia and that telepath dude who turned into Q).

jnky, I know what you meant, and yeah, we'd all like the world to be this utopia where humans stop hating each other. But it just doesn't make for good drama.

prostitution (threw that one in for GEE )

Did you mean GKE, as in me, the mighty GKarsEye, proud defender and fan of hookers? :D

Come to think of it, I can't remember any hookers on B5. The closest thing I can think of is those three chicks coming out of G'Kar's room once, but they could just be fun gals or Narn fetishists.

Come to think of it, I can't remember any hookers on B5. The closest thing I can think of is those three chicks coming out of G'Kar's room once, but they could just be fun gals or Narn fetishists.

If you think about Zack's outrage at the idea of a holo-brothel operating on his station, I dread to think how he'd have reacted to the real thing :LOL:

I suspect Garibaldi would have been a little more relaxed in his day ;)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back