• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Anyone still watching Lost?

I think this show suffers from the opposite of what I remember jms once describing as good writing. He once said something to the effect of, if a gun is used in act three of a story, have it hanging on the wall in act one, and if there's a gun hanging on the wall in act one, it better be used in act three. In my opinion, Lost has had just too many things hanging around for no real, plot-significant reason. Things are just there to be all "mysterious". And reading through pages on Wikipedia and on the Lost wiki, it feels like the showrunners have long been lost in the minutia of the show and less concentrated on a plot that makes sense. And in a way, to me, it seems like the characters really kinda just don't matter, they're just there to react to all the "mystery".

No of course not. But the writers of this show have been extremely public and interactive via the web and blogs since the shows release. It was part of the original hype of the show.

I had begun to expect this to end poorly, but what I am seeing (so far) is leaning towards even worse than I had thought. Yes, there are still parts of the show I have enjoyed over the years, and some great moments and episodes. Its not like I am saying the show wasn't entirely worth it. But right now, nearing the end, this is where the rubber meets the road, and things are becoming pretty unraveled.

I think this show suffers from the opposite of what I remember jms once describing as good writing. He once said something to the effect of, if a gun is used in act three of a story, have it hanging on the wall in act one, and if there's a gun hanging on the wall in act one, it better be used in act three. In my opinion, Lost has had just too many things hanging around for no real, plot-significant reason. Things are just there to be all "mysterious". And reading through pages on Wikipedia and on the Lost wiki, it feels like the showrunners have long been lost in the minutia of the show and less concentrated on a plot that makes sense. And in a way, to me, it seems like the characters really kinda just don't matter, they're just there to react to all the "mystery".

Yea couldn't have said it better. And your point about the characters really not mattering...yea I feel that too.

BTW I like your comment: "I think this show suffers from the opposite of what I remember jms once describing as good writing." So.....you mean bad writing then? ;)

Yup .. Chekhov's Gun.

I think I'm the only one here who is enjoying the heck out of the show and eating it up. :) I don't care to quibble at this point, I'm just basking in the glory of Ben. Oh, he definitely has a plan. I know it.

And what happened to Richard?

Well only 2 hrs left. But it was nice to see Mira Furlan on screen again :)

And she was able to show her playful side. That was actually a great scene, Ben came to find out that Alex viewed him as the closest thing to a father she ever had, and that last look suggests that Danielle and Ben may be falling in love in the future of the ATL

Alluveal, I feel betrayed by Darlton and their constant "We've got it all thought out, everything has an answer BS", however, I too am still enjoying the show, I don't regret at all, the time I've spent watching the show or engaging in peripheral activity around it. I am still glad for the experience and can't wait for Sunday. Richard got smoked. Smokey tossed jhim into a building with great force.

I think I'm the only one here who is enjoying the heck out of the show and eating it up. :) I don't care to quibble at this point, I'm just basking in the glory of Ben. Oh, he definitely has a plan. I know it.

And what happened to Richard?

I'm still enjoying it. I don't really care about how it all turns out, I like the ride.

So Jack has officially been named the replacement, in a direct manner, no crazy twists and circumstances- it's pretty much exactly what we all assumed would happen.
I also like Jacob's "it's just a line on a wall" thing about Kate.

Favorite part though was alterna-Desmond. His character up until this season has been the poor nice likable victim, and now he's the primary mover in this world, with his little bribery escape plan.

For me the only bright spot of last nights episode was seeing Ben go back to his old self (assuming he doesnt have a deeper plan).

The rest was a big steaming pile of "meh"

It seems their idea of closing the loop on characters and threads is off 2-3 of them per episode now in completely meaningless ways. Who was it that said they are making the characters in the show really irrelevant? Last night's episode did not make that an untrue statement.

And she was able to show her playful side. That was actually a great scene, Ben came to find out that Alex viewed him as the closest thing to a father she ever had, and that last look suggests that Danielle and Ben may be falling in love in the future of the ATL

Alluveal, I feel betrayed by Darlton and their constant "We've got it all thought out, everything has an answer BS", however, I too am still enjoying the show, I don't regret at all, the time I've spent watching the show or engaging in peripheral activity around it. I am still glad for the experience and can't wait for Sunday. Richard got smoked. Smokey tossed jhim into a building with great force.

Yeah, but I thought Richard was immortal. In some sense, anyway. I guess we differ in that I do see things being wrapped up. I mean, comparing it to Galactica, I guess I feel it has far more direction and emotion so I'm cool with it. I'm also ok with "on the fly" storytelling to some extent. :)

Yeah, but I thought Richard was immortal. In some sense, anyway. I guess we differ in that I do see things being wrapped up. I mean, comparing it to Galactica, I guess I feel it has far more direction and emotion so I'm cool with it. I'm also ok with "on the fly" storytelling to some extent. :)
Nah Richard was never immortal. He didn't age, and he couldn't kill himself, but, we never got any impression he couldn't be killed.

Oh, I see things being tied up, but, I'm not buying that they aren't cramming square pegs into round holes alot of the time. Yea, on the fly storytelling isn't bad in and of itself, but, when you constantly challenge people to figure out where you're going and you don't know yourself, that's unfair, IMHO.

Last edited:

Richard is effectively immortal, which means he'll live until something kills him. He can't kill himself, but he seemed to believe that Jack could kill him, so it's not at all inconsistent that Smokey McLocke could do it.

Richard is effectively immortal, which means he'll live until something kills him. He can't kill himself, but he seemed to believe that Jack could kill him, so it's not at all inconsistent that Smokey McLocke could do it.

That was always my understanding as well.

But man have they been wasting mfers this past month.

So anyone gonna be able to do the whole Sunday night 65 hr Lost marathon, with the pre-shows and whatnot? I just might- I got a busy today and tomorrow, but Sunday is clear. Gonna watch so much TV...

Nah Richard was never immortal. He didn't age, and he couldn't kill himself, but, we never got any impression he couldn't be killed.

Oh, I see things being tied up, but, I'm not buying that they aren't cramming square pegs into round holes alot of the time. Yea, on the fly storytelling isn't bad in and of itself, but, when you constantly challenge people to figure out where you're going and you don't know yourself, that's unfair, IMHO.

But, that's the point of story-telling, to guide the audience through the story, not make it super predictable (unless I misunderstood things). Insofar as understanding what's going on in general, I haven't had issues keeping track of things, I guess? But . . . I also watched a lot in huge chunks until last season (i.e. DVD's, Hulu, etc). So, perhaps cramming more episodes into a watching session helps with continuity? Hmm!

Yeah, I agree. With all the emphasis they put on Richard, his death wouldn't be that bit of an anticlimax, imho. It would serve far more meaning. We will see him again, else they would have shown his body.

That was always my understanding as well.

But man have they been wasting mfers this past month.

So anyone gonna be able to do the whole Sunday night 65 hr Lost marathon, with the pre-shows and whatnot? I just might- I got a busy today and tomorrow, but Sunday is clear. Gonna watch so much TV...

I have the DVR set. I'll be watching it all after the little one goes to bed as not to have interruptions. :) So, chances are I'll be up until 2am when it's all said and done. I have to remember to set Jimmy Kimmel to record too.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back