• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Kosh and Ulkesh

We only see three individual Vorlons in the entire series. One of them is the Volron projection in "Into the Fire" That is the only time we see that Vorlon. Every other time we see a Vorlon it is Kosh, Ulkesh or the two of them together. And it is certainly possible that a Vorlon might change an encounter suite once or twice in a few thousand years. :) (It is also possible that during Valen's war they wore identicatl suits when "out in public" to obscure their indvidual identities and to hide their numbers.)

I really have to disagree here, and with what someone stated above as well.

In Part I of "War Without End" I believe we saw a Vorlon we never saw before, and it was NOT Ulkesh. I know some think he was the Minbari ambassador, but I do not believe the Vorlon that told Rathenn "He is the closed circle, he is returning to the begining" when Sinclair was leaving was Ulkesh.

I'd ask and of you who don't believe me to go back and watch that part and then watch Ulkesh talking later. The voice and accent is COMPLETELY different. Doesn't sound even remotely like Ulkesh.

In Part I of "War Without End" I believe we saw a Vorlon we never saw before, and it was NOT Ulkesh. I know some think he was the Minbari ambassador, but I do not believe the Vorlon that told Rathenn "He is the closed circle, he is returning to the begining" when Sinclair was leaving was Ulkesh.

I'd ask and of you who don't believe me to go back and watch that part and then watch Ulkesh talking later. The voice and accent is COMPLETELY different. Doesn't sound even remotely like Ulkesh.

I disagree. That was Ulkesh. Go back and listen:

"He is the closed circle. He is returning to the beginning."

"Would you know my thoughts? Would you?"

Same Vorlon.

Besides, what we hear as English from a Vorlon is NOT a Vorlon's voice. It's their translator program. The Vorlon's voice is that whispery chimey noise.

1) JMS has said the Vorlon Ambassador on Minbar was Ulkesh.

2) Kathryn M. Drennan, in her 95% canon novel To Dream in the City of Sorrows, establishes that it is Ulkesh.

3) As far as I can recall Ulkesh always sounded like the same harsh-voiced SOB, whether in ItB, "WWE" or any of the post-Kosh episodes aboard B5. I suppose it is possible the Ardwright Chamberlain, who voiced all the Vorlons, may have "tweaked" or refined his performance as Ulkesh between that first appearacne in "WWE' and the later appearances.

Regards,

Joe

Well pretty much point #1 settles it then. ;)

Maybe it was the accent or something that threw me, but if JMS stated it, then it is. Also I've read TDiCoS and remember Ulkesh being there now that I think of it.

Vorlons have accents? Like Texan or New Yawk? :LOL:

Ulkesh's voice was a little Clint Eastwood-like, sort of compressed into an intense, dangerous "You'll listen if you know what's good for you." whisper.

To me, in WWE Part I, he almost sounded like he had a thick Spanish accent.

I'm trying to imagine Ulkesh saying "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

:confused: :eek: :D

Nah...

Finally (and this is a hard area for me to keep track of because I'm slightly color-blind) maybe Kosh is the only Vorlon to have a truly "personal" encounter suit, and that this is one of his eccentricities, tolerated by the others after Valen's war - and when he's away from the Homeworld, but otherwise frowned upon.

Regards,

Joe

I actually did get the feeling that Kosh is the only one with the personalized encounter suit -- excepting the Vorlon image in "Into the Fire," which we can easily explain as an effects glitch. (After all, the effects crew would have given us a glowing ball of jellyfish-like energy... if they'd had another week. And not stopped to sleep.) It's a far softer suit. Less harsh in color and in form.

Its because it sounded like he said "Returrrrneng to the begeening" kinda slippery pronounciation.

I'm trying to imagine Ulkesh saying "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

Nah...

Kosh: "Impudent!"

Sheridan: "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it does."

:beer:

Joe

To me, in WWE Part I, he almost sounded like he had a thick Spanish accent.

Nah...

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Oh, man. I bet the footwork wouldn't be so fancy in the sword fight, though, with a Vorlon. :)

Nah...

Kosh: "Impudent!"

Sheridan: "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it does."

:beer:

Joe

Interesting how adding only one letter (R), the meaning ( Imprudent) :D changes.

Interesting how adding only one letter (R), the meaning ( Imprudent) :D changes.

Or what changing two letters does. "UD" to "OT", for instance. ;)

Brain teaser: Name a common 9 letter English word that remains a valid word each time you remove one letter, down to and including when it becomes 1 letter long. (And please don't ask me what this has to do with Vorlons. :D)

Regards,

Joe

Back