• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Serenity 2 Rumor (grain of salt required)

Interesting.

I think there's a lot of mileage in the mini-series format for SF stories, as opposed to Telemovies as such.

While "Dune" and "Children of Dune" had their flaws, I quite enjoyed them both, and definitely enjoyed the fact that they were longer than a movie.

But, with salt duly added, I'll wait for something more substantial before I get my hopes up!

VB.

Despite being very comfy in his new clothes that used to belong to the Emperor, Joss is too busy writing his special brand of kooky-speak (TM) dialogue into all sorts of things that don't need it (like Wonder Woman) and keeping his screaming Goth Spike fans happy with the continued false promise of a Spike movie.

I'm afraid the backlash began with me, a while ago...

(awaits Koshfan's riposte...) ;)

It's certainly not unlikely. Scifi Channel has already shown the series straight through for 13 weeks, and had a few marathon noghts, and are on their second pass through on Friday nights. They do have a habit of taking other series and giving an ending to them with a Mini Series or continuing the series, such as they did with Farscape and Stargate, and tried out the B5 Universe with Rangers.

I'm skeptical of just about everything that I hear about Serenity sequels or what have you; I'll believe it when I see it. A trailer, that is, or maybe Nathan Fillion and the gang informing us that filming has begun.

About the "false promise of a Spike movie" -- it may not ever get off the ground, but I'm fairly sure Joss is sincere in trying to get it going. His full energy may not be behind it, but he's not lying to us to keep hopes up. Last I heard, as I believe I've posted here, he's tapped Tim Minear to direct it.

As for Joss's writing style... I like it. If you don't, don't watch stuff that has his name on it. Simple as that.

I also really liked the Dune/Children of Dune mini-series on Sci-Fi. It sure beats turning on the channel and seeing Stargate playing 12 hours of the 24 hour day, or crap like Hammerhead Eats Mothra's Lovechild, starring Richard Greico.

Did Mothra have a love-child? What about those two twins... That always struck me as odd.

I actually find Joss's stuff entertaining enough in a light fashion, I enjoyed Serenity for what it was, but i'm failing to see what all the fuss is about. Anyhow, thats just me...

Just read in EW in interview with Whedon. He says it's over, done and finis. He was glad that it had a chance to be completed in some fashion, but he can finally move on to other things. He has two screemplays in the works, one being Wonder Woman, and was busy with them. Besides, there was in early attempt by him to get Firefly done in TV movies prior to the deal to make the feature. This is most likely a remnant of that rumor. Again, JW, the man, says it's over and he's put it behind him and is proud of what's been done.

Just FYI from your long absent CE ;)

CE

Ah, but Joss himself has some interesting words on the EW article. This is taken from Whedonesque.

All right, now I have to jump in and set the record straight. EW is a fine rag, but they do take things out of context. Obviously when I said I had 'closure', what I meant was "I hate Serenity, I hated Firefly, I think my fans are stupid and Nathan Fillion smells like turnips." But EW's always got to put some weird negative spin on it. But so we're clear once and for all: If you read a quote saying "I'd love to do more in this 'verse with these actors in any medium" all I'm saying is that Nathan has a turnipy odor. It's not his fault, he doesn't eat a lot of them but everyone else in the cast noticed it and tht's not really something I'm prepared to deal with any more. And Jewel said outright she wouldn't do scenes with him except stuff like the SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER funeral scene which was outside in a high SPOILER wind. So if I do manage to find another incarnation for my beloved creation, it will have been totally against my will.

I hope that clears everything up. Oh, and when I say I want to do a Spike movie, it means I have a bunion on my toe.

-joss (by which I mean Tim)

(no, actually me.)

A little hard to follow, perhaps, but I think what he means is, "I'm okay if this is all there is, but you'll better believe I'll do more if I get the chance."

You beat me to it. I heard about that post from Joss the other day and just got around to reading it. I agree 100% and its really nothing different than he has always been saying. If this is all there is, he will be happy, but he would love to do more if the medium presents itself.

Not there is anything concrete to the original rumor, but it does at least make it something you can't totally dismiss. Not to mention several other possibilities. With good DVD sales....who knows....

(As of December 25th, Serenity is #1 DVD on Amazon.com and the Firefly series is, after all this time, back at #4)

I believe that makes this the fifth consecutive day Serenity has been #1. And this during the holiday season. Long may it remain there!

I love this post from Nathan Fillion :)

So, here we are. So much has happened recently and I feel this is the time to pause and reflect before the New Year starts slapping us around. We made the movie, it has come out on DVD just in time for that odd little Christian holiday where they celebrate not being fed to lions or something. It is number one on Amazon, and the old Firefly set is crawling back up the charts like a thirsty man in the desert towards a mirage. Does this make us better than anyone else? You bet it does. But it's not the kind of better
than that causes you to look down your nose at anyone. It's more the kind that lets you pat someone patiently on the arm and say in a sanctimonious tone, "Mm hm, it's alright. I'll get you a copy of the movie and you can be cool, too. Just not quite as cool as me because I've been a Browncoat for
sometime, now."
If you are like me, you watch the movie to assure yourself the future will be safe, you watch the extras to see old friends, and you listen to Joss' commentary and shed a little tear over good times. Waht's that? You don't cry in the commentary? Well, just have an emotion chip installed, you robot, and refill your eye bags with saline.
Be well, Browncoats. Aim high, as we have all learned that nothing is impossible (except getting Jewel and Morena to stop fighting over who is prettier when we all know it's me). Happy Holidays.

Nathan "Captain Tightpants" Fillion

Finally saw Serenity. Pretty good. Lots of humor.
The villain was excellent. I wonder if the Reavers origin would've been a Season finale or even Season 2 type thing if the series had gone on.

B5_Obsessed, you're exactly right. This was essentially Season 2 of the series boiled down into movie form. Which means a lot of the quiet moments that gave Firefly such depth were absent... but the story's been told now, reasonably well.

Swallow:

It will be one thing to "cover" the budget, and I suspect the DVDs will do that. It would be much better to have them actually MADE some money off the movie. That sort of thing will help them decide whether or not to do more. I hope that DVD sales continue and covers the gap and makes it worth looking into.

KoshFan is right. What was in the movie was sorta planned for Season 2 arc. I imagine if we get any more movies or anything else in this universe, they might spend some time diving into other storylines, like the mysterious mega-corporation Blue Sun. Time will tell...

Are there any books/comics etc that are based in the Firefly universe? That's at least one way to tell the story.

There are. There's a three-part comic series that sort of bridges the gap between the show and the movie -- stories which, I'm guessing, would have been the finale for season one.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back