• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

From Nobody

ElScorcho

Regular
Suggestion -

When informing members that they have PMs by eMail, listing "Nobody" with no address might not be such a good idea.

With all the junk, spam and viruses deposited in mailboxes, such a thing could be erased without being read. Personally, I tend to be careful about opening dubious eMails and actually did just that. Then I remembered after I came in and saw that I had a PM.

Perhaps mentioning this site might help?

Yes, that is very helpful, thanks. I was kind of aware of the problem with some board emails, but as I've never received emails of this type I've not come across it.

It's a fault of the board's software... and I will try to correct it somehow.

Thanks

Yah, not sure how UBB works, but if it's using PHP's built in mail function, which it probably does (I hate that built-in mail function, btw, it sucks Spoo), it'll just be the "from" string in the call to the function (if it's even in there) and wouldn't be hard to change at all, either by hard-coding the change or adding in a variable.

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
<?php
// Sending mail with extra headers:
mail("nobody@example.com", "the subject", $message,
"From: webmaster@{$_SERVER['SERVER_NAME']}\r\n"
."Reply-To: webmaster@{$_SERVER['SERVER_NAME']}\r\n"
."X-Mailer: PHP/" . phpversion());
?>
</pre><hr />

Back