• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Mr. Morden

Sinclair

I just finished watching In the Shadow of Za'Ha'Dum and began to wonder. Do we ever find out Morden's first name, in a book or something perhaps? When it showed his crew profile from the Icarus, I tried to see if it showed a first and last name but couldn't find anything. Anyone know?

Well, according to the Babylon File II (British Guide to B5), Jeanne Cavelos asked JMS about Morden's first name while writing the book 'The Shadow Within'. This is what she recalls:

"I asked JMS if Morden already had a first name, since I needed one for him. When JMS said no, I asked if I could give him one. JMS said he always thought of Morden as Morden, without any first name. He didn't really want Morden to have one. This posed a problem, since I wanted to portray the growing fiendship and closeness between Anna and Morden. So I invented the whole idea of the archaeologists going by their last names to get around this."

If, an I mean IF, I remember correctly Morden's first name was given in The Shadow Within. I can't remember it though. :confused: Must check...

Does Morden turn up in the psi corps trilogiy or the technomage trilogy? Haven't read those yet (I've ordered them from amazon but it's taking a while :mad: . Probably have to import them from the UK)

So if we don't find out what his first name is - does anybody have a suggetion what it could be? :)

No, his name's not give in The Shadow Within, nor is it given in the technomage trilogy, though he's in both. I don't know about the psi corps trilogy, since I never finished it, but I doubt it would give his name.

I guess I just assumed he had a first name because he was human and worked with them. I'm just gonna call him Wilford. Thanks for the help all.

I think I remember someone way back saying that they knew someone in real life with the last name of Morden. Was that you?

I think I remember someone way back saying that they knew someone in real life with the last name of Morden. Was that you?

I think it was me - I have a friend named Mr Morden and I made a post about him and his associates some time ago :D

Actually, Zathras and I did used to be neighbors and my name is Scott.

Come to think of it, aren't we all Zathras' neighbors, temporally speaking of course?

:cool:

In the ep where sheridan finds out morden was on the ship with anna, on the sceen where garibaldi notices him, does it have his full name? I've moved to California and don't have my dvd's or computer yet so i can't check.

"I asked JMS if Morden already had a first name, since I needed one for him. When JMS said no, I asked if I could give him one. JMS said he always thought of Morden as Morden, without any first name. He didn't really want Morden to have one."

Maybe he is like the neighbor Wilson from Home Improvement (or Major Major from "Catch 22"), and his name will turn out to be Morden Morden. :LOL: ;) :p :LOL:

I'll bet he's more like MacGyver. His first name is just so horrible that he doesn't want anyone to find out what it is. :D

...OR...

I'll bet the Shadows surgically removed his first name. Maybe that's what the drill thing does that the Shadow surgeons are always doing when someone has a horrific "Z'Ha'Dum flashback". It makes you more mysterious.

There is a newscaster on Fox 8 in High Point, North Carolina, named Neill McNeill.

Maybe Morden has a Scottish/Irish background, and has a similar name structure to Neill McNeill.

Combining this theory with two others I've read so far, maybe his name is Morden McMorden, and he's so embarrassed by it that he's shortened it to just plain Morden.

(Okay, yeah, that's a stupid theory. I just wanted an excuse to post something. ;) )

Back