• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Different characters saying the same thing...

"What do you want" and "Who are you" are both pretty common phrases in life, but they're used over and over again in B5 with the same overbearing overly-deep tone. It's used almost as a theme...

It isn't "almost a theme" it is a theme central to the show. The relentless repetition of the questions (and the refusal to accept the conventional answers, see "Comes the Inquisitor") are part of the "Synanon Game", developed as part of the therpeutic system at Synanon, a California drug rehabilitation program of the 60s and 70s. The idea was to strip the individual down to his core by pounding him with "who are you?" and "what do you want?" in group therapy sessions where none of his answers were good enough. The idea was the you couldn't really know what you wanted until you knew who you were, and you couldn't define who you were in terms of externals such as your name, the place where you lived or the sports team you rooted for. You had to find something basic to you that simply was you, your actual identity, and only then proceed to what the newly discovered you really wanted. I'm grossly oversimplifying here, but it was this basic idea from the Synanon game that interested JMS, and which he later incorporated into B5. (JMS has degrees in both psychology and sociology, and at one time worked as some kind of counsellor, though I can't remember if his work involved drug or alcohol abuse. So he would certainly have known about Synanon from professional publications, and from the popular press when the organization later came under fire for cult-like practices and he may well have worked with either former Synanon patients or counsellors. I haven't seen anything to suggest that JMS was directly involved in Synanon itself.)

Part of the problem with the Vorlons and Shadows is that each only asks one of the questions.

The Vorlons are obessesed with identity and don't care about what anyone wants or wants to do, because everyone will get what the Vorlons give them and do what the Vorlons tell them to do. That is the natural order of things.

The Shadows ask only "what do you want?" without regard to who they're asking because they think that absolutely selfishness, confilct and war will ultimately produce good things out of the wreckage. The problem is that if you offer "whatever they want" to evil people, or even morally confused ones, horror will result. Hence the tragedy of Londo, who wanted "good" things, but wasn't picky enough about either the means or the likely side-effects his actions would produce.

The younger races (like the recovering junkie) have to figure out who they are for themselves, without having an identiy imposed on them from the outside, and they work out what they want.

There's also a voice in the Season 5 credits that says "What do you want." It sounds like Sheridan but it's in the season 1 section so it must be Sinclair I guess.

No, it is in the season 2 section, and the voice isn't Sheridan's. :) That is a scene from an episode, a kind of dream, and the voice is that of a charcter we haven't yet met.

Regards,

Joe

The only ones I can think of off-hand that are repeated and unusual phrases are "After a fashion", a phrase JMS uses instead of "in a way" and "sort of" or "yes and no". It was used by Delenn and Neroon in "Rumors, Bargains and Lies".

Was that a compliment? After a fashion.

Then it was used by the Medlab assistant in "Rising Star" when Franklin asked about Susan's miraculous recovery.

Something along the line of: Is she alright? After a fashion.

I've never heard that phrase used outside of B5.

The other one used by Delenn and other members of the Grey council is "______________ will attend to itself". You can insert "History", "Prophesy" or "The rest" here.

And then "Ah Hell" (continuous fire) :D

JMS blamed that on the fact that he couldn't use any good profanity for television and so "Ah Hell" kept popping up.

Which brings me to Galactica. Much more so than the original, the word FRACK is a literal transltion of a certain four letter word here on Earth. I find the overuse of FRACK ME or FRACK YOU to be a little annoying. I felt the same way about FRELL. Is it a universal constant, like Swedish Meatballs, that the big daddy curse word always starts with F?

Last night, in the Situation Room, Baltar says "It sounds Fracking Awful". If the word were FUCK, would he utter it in the presence of Adama and the President of the Colonies? I don't think so. They use it as profanity and yet they seem to forget that there are times when people refrain from using profanity. It's called professionalism.

Then again Baltar WAS humping a table in his lab last week.

G'Kar: Expect me, when you see me.

Galen: Expect me when you see me.

The phrase never made much sense to me.

I always took it to mean 'don't expect me, until you see me,' which makes sense to me. Another repeated line, probably a nod to "The Prisoner," is "Be seeing you!"

"After a fashion."

I've never heard that phrase used outside of B5.

But that doesn't mean that it isn't a perfectly ordinary phrase, which, as it happens, it is. Maybe it was used more in the past than today, or more in some geographical areas than others, but I was familiar with the phrase from books films, television and even ordinary conversation long before there ever was a Babylon 5.

G'Kar: Expect me, when you see me.

Galen: Expect me when you see me.

Both are quoting Gandalf in The Lord of the Rings, so this doesn't exactly count as "people repeating other people's lines." Jade's interpretation of the line is correct, albeit slightly incomplete. Gandalf is telling Frodo both that his next visit will be unannounced, a departure from his previous practice, and that he cannot estimate when it will happen.

It is fairly standard literary technique to have different people use the same words in different contexts, sometimes ironically, to acheive various effects. Since I've already mentioned LotR one of Tolkein's ways of pointing up the power of the Ring is to have everyone who possesses it for any length of time to use the word "precious" to describe it.

JMS, a student of Tolkein among many others, also uses such repetition. It is just one more tool in the writer's toolbox. One more arrow in his quiver, one more bat in his belfry...

:)

Joe

It was "Now, get the hell out of our galaxy!" and I don't remember anyone else on the show saying that. :p

It was "Now, get the hell out of our galaxy!" and I don't remember anyone else on the show saying that. :p

Right, Sheridan referred to the Shadows and Voirlons as "Giants in the playground", but not in the same speech where he tells them to take a hike. And I can't recall anyone else saying tha either. (Obviously the dialogue recaps in the S5 credits - where the two lines are juxtaposed - don't count.)

Regards,

Joe

Yeah, there are a lot of "let X attend to itself". That was a common phrase.

I always thought "standard hours" was surperfluous, since no one ever spoke about anything other than standardized times. Same with "solar year".

They also talk about cycles and 'standard earth rotational cycles'. Judging by the speed that the station appears to rotate, a B5 cycle is about 20 seconds. Or one Drazi year.

I don't know why you guys are having such a tough time with this. It isn't exactly rocket surgery. :)

Joe

You've seen that Eggos maple syrup commercial one too many times. :LOL:

"Trust me. I know what I'm doing." - Sledge Hammer

Ah. A Sledge Hammer quote. I never thought I'd live to see the day someone else use one. :D

Thanks.

"Now I have to get home, to watch Mista Belvedea."

"I guess SOMEBODY has to..........."

Ah. A Sledge Hammer quote. I never thought I'd live to see the day someone else use one. :D

Thanks.

"Now I have to get home, to watch Mista Belvedea."

"I guess SOMEBODY has to..........."

Belvedere?

I got my "Sledge Hammer!" Season 1 DVD set Saturday night (March 12th). I'm almost all the way through Disc 2 of 4 ("To Live and Die on TV"), and am loving it. And BTW, Anne Marie Martin was HOT. She kind of reminds me of Nancy Stafford (Dr. Kirkish) from "Matters of Honor." They both have a very nice profile and 3/4 view (speaking of portraits, headshots). :D

"Sledge Hammer!" Season 1 box art. does not do her justice.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back