• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

b5 books "shadow within" and "to dream..."

Re: b5 books \"shadow within\" and \"to dream...\"

Hey, while cleaning out some stuff today (getting ready to sell our townhome), I realized that I have an extra copy of "To Dream...".

I will sell it for dirt cheap so if jnk5y doesn't want it ... it will be up for grabs. /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif It is in fairly good condition with only a bit of wear around the edges.

jnk5y, let me know ASAP since you have first dibs on it. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Soooo, I have yet to hear back from jnk5y since the boards lost 10 days worth of data. I was willing to let it go for a steal but now that he doesn't seem interested in it anymore, I am feeling less generous. /forums/images/icons/rolleyes.gif

I have it packed up and ready to be mailed off to some lucky person. I will sell it for $10-15 USD which will include shipping (the higher price is for international shipping). The book comes from a smoke free home in Seattle, WA.

Send me a private message if interested! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Otherwise, it will go up on eBay in the next few weeks.

Sold to Elizar! Details to be worked out privately. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Muahahaha!! /forums/images/icons/devil.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

" It's all mine now..." /forums/images/icons/devil.gif

Sorry! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/devil.gif

I didn't want them, I'm content to wait for the re-release of the books from DelRay, I was saying oh well for jnk5y

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
First of all, it is not necessary to read "The Shadow Within" before the technomage books but it might enhance the story a bit. I read it after the first technomage book and thought it was OK but not great (I liked the TM trilogy much better). It might have made a better read before the trilogy or for someone not familiar with Shadow technology. *shrug*

I think "To Dream..." could be read at any time and has no relation to any of the trilogies. It is about Sinclair and his time spent on Minbar. An excellent read.

[/quote]Also, if you can manage it, track down the back-issues of the Babylon 5 monthly series, particularly the first four issues. These contain the story of Sinclair's initial arrival on Minbar, and the assassination attempt that he gets framed for, which is referenced several times in the novel, and which you may be wondering about.

JMS himself wrote the first issue, and wrote the overall storyline for the DC Comics series, and it's also possible to find a copy of these issues in trade-paperback form in the United States (but there are several other terrific stories to be found in the series, as well). /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Del Rey Books is reprinting all of the old Dell novels, starting with The Shadow Within this November. The second book they're reprinting is To Dream in the City of Sorrows. These were the two most-requested titles, so that's where Del Rey is starting. No publication date has been announced for To Dream, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it out early in 2003, maybe even December 2002.

So it seems sensible to wait a few months for brand new editions rather than buy used copies, especially at some of the inflated prices mentioned here.

Regards,

Joe

[/quote]Plus, you'll be helping to support the Del Rey line by boosting sales, when you purchase a copy of the new editions. Another reason to purchase them, I think... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Tim Fleming at the "Crusade for Crusade" website posted an interesting tidbit regarding the books recently:

Heather and I attended the annual Shore Leave Science fiction convention in Baltimore just this weekend. At this convention we sat in on a presentation by an assistant editor of Del Rey books. She had some interesting information concerning B5. First of all, Del Rey still believes in B5 as a property. This is why they purchased the rights to the first nine books. She then proceeded to show the new cover art for Jeane Cavelos's The Shadow Within. This book serves as sort of a prequel to the technomage trilogy.

She then mentioned that due to a screw up with the original publication of The Shadow Within manuscript, this new edition will feature some material that was NOT in the original. So it looks like a special edition of The Shadow Within. She also mentioned that Kathryn Drennan's To Dream in the City of Sorrows will be coming out summer of next year...

... Now on to more interesting matters. She mentioned that Del Rey has another B5 project in the works . However, she was not at liberty to discuss it. This is great news for B5 fans (and boy, do we need it).

[/quote]

Tim went on to speculate that the new project is the long-rumored short-story anthology, but I'm dubious. Steve Saffel of Del Rey only recently denied that any B5 projects were in the works, and specifically mentioned difficulties vis a vis the short story collection - not only would arrangements have to be worked out with all the authors of the published stories, but new stories would be needed from writers like JMS and Neil Gaimin (both of whom are very busy with other things) to fill the collection out to book length. Finally a new licensing deal would have to be struck with Warner Bros., since the present one does not cover the short stories. I'd be very suprised if all of this were cleared up in just a couple of weeks.

Of course, it may just be the Del Rey has decided to seriously pursue the anthology idea, and is now talking to all the people who would have to be involved. Another possibility is some kind of "history of B5" or behind-the-scenes book. JMS mentioned a project that Fiona Avery was working on in the B5 archive nearly two years ago. He denied that it had anything to do with prepping extra materials for the eventual DVDs, but didn't let on what it was. Fiona was no more forthcoming on her own website, where it was also mentioned in passing. So I wonder if it might not be some kind of non-fiction book, currently wending its way through the Random House/Del Rey labirynth. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Either way it would be nice to have something new.

Regards,

Joe

That would be nice however I am skeptical and would more concerte info before even starting to believe anything new in the b5 universe is forth coming.

Back