• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

"Cast Of" Solution: List Your Favorite TV Casts

Re: \"Cast Of\" Solution: List Your Favorite TV Cas

I was gonna mention Burt's abduction and the things following it, but wasn't sure it came that late in the series. And yea, forgot about all of Jody's girl friends.

Billy in the cult

On the bright side, that did lead to Benson coming back for a guest shot. He went with Chester and the Major to kidnap Billy back from the cult, all dressed up in black like navy SEALs (during the preparation scenethe look on Benson's face when Chester goes to hand him the container of black-face is wonderful) and tip-toe running from column to column hiding behind them. That sequence may well be the funniest scene (or two) of the whole last 2 seasons.

The major tried to drag his dog along too, didn't he?

Wow. Suddenly, I miss Soap. :LOL:

I saw some good in the Jessica-in-the-revolution bits. But yea, somewhere along the line, Soap lost its fan base.

The turning-into-the-old-Jewish-man thing would have worked for one or two episoeds, IMHO. Perhaps they dragged it out too long, I don't remember how long that lasted, actually.

Ironically, his suicide attempt is one of the sequences that I thought was remarkably well-done, and brave for a weird-cult-comedy show to even attempt.

Ironically, his suicide attempt is one of the sequences that I thought was remarkably well-done, and brave for a weird-cult-comedy show to even attempt.
Actually, I thought there were a number of things like that. The degree to which those serious, and often quietly painful, moments made you care about the characters and see them as real people rather than over-the-top charicatures was really what made the show great.

I think that may be a big part of what they lost when they got more contiuously over-the-top in the later seasons.

I also think that the cast's ability to pull that stuff off consistently, while still being true to their more farcical and slapstick nature, is what should get them a very high ranking in any hypothetical list like this one.

Jody quietly deciding to commit suicide in his hospital room. Jessica trying to get Corinne to forgive her for not telling her that she had been adopted. Burt confessing to Mary that the reason he didn't want her to go back to school because he was afraid that she would "get smart" and leave him. Chester stopping his posturing and recriminations about Jessica's affair with Peter, just long enough to quietly ask "Is this what I made you feel like, Jess?". Elaine happily proclaiming that she had "made it home" as she was dieing in Danny's arms. Benson reassuring Jessica the night before her verdict came in or calming Corinne in the lobby of the church before walking her down the aisle for her wedding.

No matter what it was or which character / actor it was, they always nailed those moments.

Aw. And here I was thinking I'd be the first to bring up the cast of Homicide. Shoot. Well, I'll support that one anyways!

And for more contemporary casts, I'd say the cast of The Dead Zone and Monk are both hella good. And to cap this off, I'll say... the cast of The Equalizer.

I had really considered mentioning All in the Family and The Mary Tyler Moore show. I saw some reruns of AitF growing up, and while they were often a bit too "grownup" for me, I did see the one where Edith had died and Archie was mourning her. I never really watched The Mary Tyler Moore Show, as it was even further before my time (which is why I didn't list it)... but for show to be around as long as it was, they must have been doing something right.

I did see the one where Edith had died and Archie was mourning her.

Minor quibble about the timeline and official titling:

If Edith had died, then it was an episode of Archie Bunker's Place rather than All in the Family.

I basically missed all of Archie bunker's Place. It's relatively short run took place during my "college student without a TV" period.

The prime era for All in the Family (at least in my opinion) ended when Mike and Gloria (and little Joey) moved to California. The show was never the same after they lost those extended family dynamics.

I could be wrong, but I think Edith dying was the end of "All in the family". That's why they changed it to "Archie Bunker's Place", because the only family left was Archie and Danielle Brisebois playing his niece

Maude was quite the good cast, as well, from the same basic time period.

I could be wrong, but I think Edith dying was the end of "All in the family". That's why they changed it to "Archie Bunker's Place", because the only family left was Archie and Danielle Brisebois playing his niece.

Edith was actually in the first season of Archie Bunker's Place, but decided to leave, and thus her character ended up dying.

Maude was quite the good cast, as well, from the same basic time period.

And, of course, Maude was created after the character worked out so well in an initially-planned-to-be-a-one-shot guest appearance on All in the Family. Maude was Edith's cousin, and came to visit the Bunkers.

In order to kick-start the spinoff, a respectable percentage of the cast of character's from Maude was then introduced in another guest shot on AitF, this time with Edith and Archie going to visit her.

HOw could I have forgotten the cast of Six Feet Under? They are great, and the cast of X Files as well.

Numero Uno: "WKRP in Cincinatti" :D
And NOBODY'S mentioned "TAXI"!
"Soap" was delicious!, I was working evening shift when it ws first aired and never caught it on the tube first run. Thank God for reruns!! My favorite rib-tickler was when when Billy Crystal was in the hospital for his sex-change operation and was visited by his sisters.One-Upmanship at its best :D.
I recently got S1 of "Taxi" on DVD. It's still funny!!! Now if they would only release "WKRP" I'd be a happy(er) man.

Now if they would only release "WKRP" I'd be a happy(er) man.

I don't expect that to ever happen (well, at least not any time soon).

The music rights issues are the killer. Back then nobody producing TV shows ever thought to include "home video" rights when they got permission to use popular songs in shows (since there was no such thing as home video). Going back and negotiating the rights to all of the songs used in WKRP, at this point, would be *very* cost prohibitive.

Faith Manages ;). Sadly I'm aware of that arguement. If it ever comes back in syndication I will buy a DVD burner/recorder and copyright be damned! As video quality is secondary to giggles, I would even buy pirated copies since it is not legitimately available, to hell with the studios. The same for, "Urgh, A Music War", the best compilation of Punk Era concert footage ever made.

PR that is just awful news. :mad:

WKRP was a true classic. Isn't someone around here using a line of theirs in their signature? ;)

"As god is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly." :LOL:

I will never forget Les Nesman's voice as he's reporting live on the advertising gimmic of his own radio station like it was the Hindenburg. :LOL:

I've seen a couple of other shows on DVD where they have substituted other music in places a high profile song was originally used. It can really hurt a scene that was orginally edited to fit a given song. In the final episode of the Steelegrave story in Wiseguy the *had* to pay for the song that they characters sing along to from the juke box (for obvious reasons), but then they couldn't afford to also keep "Nights in White Satin", which is actually more integral to the emotional core of what is going on. It's really unfortuanate.

For WKRP, they can't just substitute the songs on the sound track all that much because the DJ's are constantly announcing which song you should be hearing (not to mention Johnny Fever's air-drumming and other such things looking just completely wrong if the a different song is playing). It isn't hard (or expensive) to get rights to obscure or unknown music. The music labels / rights holders for well known / hit songs in recent years have taken the position that they would rather charge a high price for the use of a song, and very rarely get it, than charge a lower price that they are more likely to get. WKRP used so many well known songs that there isn't really any way for them to get all of those rights and still keep the DVD's even remotely affordable.

It's really unfortunate.

Regarding WKRP, I've got all but one episode on VCD, and I think the music is the original. I also have most of them on VHS, but those include the commercials.

Anybody have episode #79, "You Can't Go Out of Town Again"?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back