• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

'Scare Tactics' Gets (additional) 9-Episode Order

Re: \'Scare Tactics\' Gets (additional) 9-Episode Or

That would be the general impression, like the adult reading the comic in public was of substandard (<100) IQ.

Who the frell cares what anyone else thinks? If people don't get that comics are much more than "just for kids" then it is up to us to break that stereotype. ;)

Indeed! I can name plenty of things that aren't just some guy (or gal) in spandex running around and solving crimes/saving the world/having a personal crisis. Stuff like Alan Moore's Watchmen, which IS about superheroes, but not the usual stereotypical kind you usually see these days. And his series V for Vendetta, which was about... I can't quite sum it up. It was something about a mysterious figure trying to get revenge for something that had happened to him years before while also trying to start a revolution that would free the people of England from their totalitarian government. It also focused on a bunch of other characters that were being affected by all of this. A real gritty story, I must say. There are SO many other things I could bring up, but I have other things to say. :)

Anime's not my bag. Just don't care for it. The closest I get to animation is a Charlie Brown/Peanuts special now and then, a bit of a Simpsons episode or Tom & Jerry when I'm channel surfing, or Space Ghost Coast to Coast when I happen to notice it's on (which isn't very often).

Perhaps others will correct me but my impression is that "Anime" is it's own genre of animation. What I think of as "Anime" is generally Japanese animation and often more intellegent than other "Cartoons". I also think of Miyazaki animation as a whole different genre of Japanese animation too. There are so many different kinds of animated shows/movies that I think it is hard to lump them all into one category or label.

KoshN, the shows you described is not "Anime" at all but what I would consider just plain old American "Cartoons". :p

My head hurts a bit after reading this thread but I have a little story that sort of relates. I had a girlfriend spend the day with me yesterday while I was "recouperating" and we decided to watch some stuff on the TiVo.

Now, I have been home for the last few days so most everything that was interesting to me has been deleted. However, as I was paging through the programs she commented on "Cowboy Bebop" and wondered what that was. I told her and she was up to trying it out. After watching the first two sessions she thought it was odd but much better than she expected out of a "Cartoon". She was also quite shocked that it was airing on the Cartoon Network since she thought that it was a channel just for kids programs. I then explained to her that not everything animated is for kids and in fact, there is a lot out there made just for adults (like Bebop).

She then wondered if it was for adults only how do you make sure they don't watch it. She didn't realize that they only showed these programs late at night when kids shouldn't be watching TV anyway. ;) It is funnny how having a simple conversation can change one's viewpoint on things as she was going to try to check it out when she got home. :D

Wow, I think that is the most I have posted in the last few days! :LOL:

That's what I KEEP trying to say. You really don't know jack about anime unless you actually WATCH it. And like I've stated somewhere else, if you ever happen to catch any episodes of Dragon Ball Z, don't go assuming that every other anime out there is the same. I like DBZ myself, but it really DOES tend to focus more on people flying around and beating the crap out of each other than creating a deep storyline. Anime is just like regular TV. There's not just one type. You've got your action/adventure/drama/etc. type show such as Cowboy Bebop, you've got your romantic comedies such as Love Hina (also, most anime romantic comedies are totally oddball, much unlike what you'd tend to call a romantic comedy in America, which is more like some mushy emotional stuff combined with lousy jokes), you've got stuff that goes out into the genre of horror such as Hellsing, which is a horror/action type show. You've got straight up comedies such as Excel Saga, which is completely insane. Although my knowledge of anime is still rather limited to what comes on TV and is out on DVD (that I can afford), I've seen plenty of it, and can easily say that it's not something to just ignore because you don't really care for American cartoons. There's plenty of anime out there, and I'd say there's just about something for everyone floating around.

There's also another upside to anime. It can't be turned into reality TV. :D

This will probably be my last post about this, not because it's getting heated (which it isn't) or because it's getting boring or even because it's pointless ... it's because my eyes simply can't take reading from a computer screen for this long.

Anyway, all I have is some last few points...

#1 -- to anyone who thinks there's some sort of animosity between KoshN and I, nothing could be further from the truth. There's probably no one's opinion here that I respect more. The reason why I've kept this thing going is because I know that a lot of people agree with his take on the whole Sci-fi/Rangers/Crusaders thing (which I don't) and I'm just trying to understand where he's coming from.

#2 -- We both seem to agree that Sci-fi sucks, but for different reasons. From what I gather, you blame Sci-fi for trying to start a new series instead of restarting Crusade. To me, that's like a starving man complaining that he has to eat saltines instead of Ritz... no one HAS to give you anything to eat, so why complain when someone does choose to give you food.

#3 -- I agree that it's debatable whether or not a GOOD Rangers would have made any difference in terms of ratings or in terms of Sci-fi deciding to commission a new series. The point is that we'll never know, because Rangers wasn't good and the ratings weren't good. Blaming Sci-fi for everything is the popular thing to do (and granted they probably deserve it) but Sci-fi didn't write a godawful teleplay. If anything, you should be thanking Sci-fi for giving JMS the opprotunity to conclude Crusade (as a part of Rangers). The fact that it didn't work out in the end is besides the point... there was a chance, a chance that probably won't ever come again.

#4 -- I agree with your sentiment about B5 ending with Crusade rather than Rangers. It's like having a bad taste in your mouth that no amount of Listerine can cure.

Anime's not my bag. Just don't care for it. The closest I get to animation is a Charlie Brown/Peanuts special now and then, a bit of a Simpsons episode or Tom & Jerry when I'm channel surfing, or Space Ghost Coast to Coast when I happen to notice it's on (which isn't very often).

Perhaps others will correct me but my impression is that "Anime" is it's own genre of animation. What I think of as "Anime" is generally Japanese animation and often more intellegent than other "Cartoons". I also think of Miyazaki animation as a whole different genre of Japanese animation too. There are so many different kinds of animated shows/movies that I think it is hard to lump them all into one category or label.

KoshN, the shows you described is not "Anime" at all but what I would consider just plain old American "Cartoons". :p

I know. I just meant it as a subcategory of animation, you know, like they list things on eBay (I'm thinking "eBay" because I was just there looking for something else.)

e.g. Animation/Anime/Miyazaki

This will probably be my last post about this, not because it's getting heated (which it isn't) or because it's getting boring or even because it's pointless ... it's because my eyes simply can't take reading from a computer screen for this long.

Anyway, all I have is some last few points...

#1 -- to anyone who thinks there's some sort of animosity between KoshN and I, nothing could be further from the truth. There's probably no one's opinion here that I respect more. The reason why I've kept this thing going is because I know that a lot of people agree with his take on the whole Sci-fi/Rangers/Crusaders thing (which I don't) and I'm just trying to understand where he's coming from.

Why thanks and ditto. :) No animosity, just a friendly disagreement. Sorry about the length of my posts above, but if I was to hit all the points, they had to be that long.

#2 -- We both seem to agree that Sci-fi sucks, but for different reasons. From what I gather, you blame Sci-fi for trying to start a new series instead of restarting Crusade. To me, that's like a starving man complaining that he has to eat saltines instead of Ritz... no one HAS to give you anything to eat, so why complain when someone does choose to give you food.

Mainly, that's right. I blame Sci-Fi for passing up what I consider to be a no-brainer decision, and instead pinning everything (the future of all things B5) on a vastly inferior product.

#3 -- I agree that it's debatable whether or not a GOOD Rangers would have made any difference in terms of ratings or in terms of Sci-fi deciding to commission a new series. The point is that we'll never know, because Rangers wasn't good and the ratings weren't good. Blaming Sci-fi for everything is the popular thing to do (and granted they probably deserve it) but Sci-fi didn't write a godawful teleplay. If anything, you should be thanking Sci-fi for giving JMS the opprotunity to conclude Crusade (as a part of Rangers). The fact that it didn't work out in the end is besides the point... there was a chance, a chance that probably won't ever come again.

I blame Sci-Fi for making the decision which led to the writing of that godawful teleplay. I wish to the Great Maker that I could turn back time and prevent that (among other things) from happening.

#4 -- I agree with your sentiment about B5 ending with Crusade rather than Rangers. It's like having a bad taste in your mouth that no amount of Listerine can cure.

Exactly! Why do you think I've watched every episode of Crusade multiple times since watching TLaDiS? I'm trying to wash TLaDiS out of my head. Damn! Crusade looks great compared to that.

Back to Scare Tactics, I guess they're trying to make Doherty look topless?

sd.jpg

Of course, they are trying to get all the little hormonal males to watch the show -- Sorry, I am being bratty -- I don't like Shannon Doherty and really reallly realllllllly hate Scare Tactics.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back