B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old December 17th 03, 14:31   #1
Elenopa
First One

Shelob ROCKS! (spoilers for ROTK)

I'm putting the spoiler warning in as a precaution as I think this is the first ROTK thread after actually seeing the film.

Shelob is AWESOME

I've read the books, I knew what was going to happen, but if there had been a sofa, I would have been behind it.

And before anyone complains that it should have been at the end of the second film; no way. It is in exactly the right place. The timeline in the appendices of the book clearly shows Shelob happenning after the Paths of the Dead. Full marks to Peter Jackson.

This film is very much closer to the book than TT. There are some bits missed out which will probably be in the extended DVD, but there are no really great additions as there were in the previous film.

The is no Sauraman and no scouring of the shire, but that doesn't detract from the film.

Go see it.
Elenopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th 03, 15:16   #2
admiraldave
First One

Re: Shelob ROCKS! (spoilers for ROTK)

Shelob creeped me out, and it was awesome.

Return of the King is an awesome movie. I have to go see it again.
admiraldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th 03, 16:32   #3
GKarsEye
First One

I am aching to see this, but I'll wait until after New Year's so as I can get into a nice theater without too much hassle.
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th 03, 20:59   #4
Quagmire
First One

I went to an afternoon showing and almost tripped over people in the lobby waiting to get in on my way out. I loved the movie although even I thought it was one ending too many.

Shelob was great and other than Sauruaman's death all the cuts made were logical. In this way the cuts were more like Fellowship than Two Towers. I'm undecided how I feel about the way Sauron's focus was depicted. On one hand I can't really think of a better way to do it but on the other hand it did have a slight odor of cheese.

One thing I wonder is if people who haven't read the books will wonder why Denenthor was so nutty.
Quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th 03, 21:05   #5
Mike G

Quote:
One thing I wonder is if people who haven't read the books will wonder why Denenthor was so nutty.
Why was Denenthor so nutty?
Old December 17th 03, 21:23   #6
Quagmire
First One

He, like Saruman, had a palantir. It allowed him to see things throughout middle earth, this is how he knows about Aragorn. Part of what he's been doing is observing Sauron's growing forces and becoming more and more convinced that his people are doomed. Unfortunately for him Sauron also has a palantir which he used to corrupt Saruman, push Denenthor(sp?) towards nuttysville and confront Pippin. If you have enough will power you can make one of balls show you what you want but Sauron made sure Uncle Nutsy only saw bad.

I imagine this could be an extended edition feature.
Quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th 03, 01:52   #7
A_Ranger
First One

Most amazing, beautiful movie...ever
A_Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th 03, 02:04   #8
kin_of_zathras
First One

What a movie. There are no words...
Gonna see it twice more at the cinemas and then its a long wait until the even better Ext Ed.I'm betting that will top 4 hours at least.

Howard Shore's music is brilliant. The way the Minas Tirith theme rises and rises... and the lighting of the beacons.

Its not just that its a great story but its the cinematic imagery too that makes it as good as it is.

Got to see it in the biggest cinema for 400 miles and had the perfect seats too.

You've got to remember, its not just the ending for 1 movie but for 3. And I liked how they did the end credits. That said the final scene might have been better left to the EE, they should have stopped with the Grey Havens. But I guessed PJ was just making sure of his Oscar.
kin_of_zathras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th 03, 02:05   #9
kin_of_zathras
First One

What a movie. There are no words...
Gonna see it twice more at the cinemas and then its a long wait until the even better Ext Ed.I'm betting that will top 4 hours at least.

Howard Shore's music is brilliant. The way the Minas Tirith theme rises and rises... and the lighting of the beacons.

Its not just that its a great story but its the cinematic imagery too that makes it as good as it is.

Got to see it in the biggest cinema for 400 miles and had the perfect seats too.

You've got to remember, its not just the ending for 1 movie but for 3. And I liked how they did the end credits. That said the final scene might have been better left to the EE, they should have stopped with the Grey Havens. But I guessed PJ was just making sure of his Oscar. We know how the Academy loves all those movies about people "torn in two".
kin_of_zathras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th 03, 03:41   #10
SwiftBiscuit
First One

That film feels long. I don't normally feel the length of films but that was so emotional that I was quite drained by the end. Despite that I wish it were longer because I didn't want to leave Middle Earth.

It must have been a total nightmare to edit because it's packed to bursting with story, I can understand how Sauruman's exit had to go. A few seconds explaining Denethor's mindset wouldn't have been too much, and I knew I was going to miss the scouring.

In a way the characters covered the same ground that the scouring does so again I'm impressed. It really is a fantastic realisation of an 'impossible' book to film. It's a very good sign that the LOTR fans want Jackson to go back and redo the 'missing' parts of the book - they obviously trust his vision and abilities.

King Kong then The Hobbit? I'd book my cinema tickets for that now if I could, I can't imagine him messing it up.
SwiftBiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote