B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old January 20th 03, 02:26   #1
Glacophane
Ambassador

Anyone read Terry Goodkind?

I was just curious and thought I would ask. Occasionally I come across threads about novels and which ones people like to read and I haven't heard anyone mention Goodkind's fantasy series yet.
Glacophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th 03, 04:45   #2
tygirwulf
First One

Re: Anyone read Terry Goodkind?

Yeah, GKE mentioned the Sword of Truth in the Wheel of Time thread. RW is a fan of that series too, or he was a while back. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I read it as well, and thought it was better than Wheel of Time in some ways. There are quite a few other SoT readers here, I'm sure.

***edited to add***
What? I've had that string through my pips for a few posts and I never noticed till now! Finally! I'll bet Antony will change the number of posts needed to have it in a few days here. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
tygirwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th 03, 19:13   #3
RW7427

Me likey the Sword of Truth series. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] It's one of my favorites.

To those that have not read the series. Try it. It's very good. I am a fan of epic fantasy, so this one is excellent IMHO. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
RW7427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th 03, 21:11   #4
Glacophane
Ambassador

I think its a great series, I just finished the Pillars of Creation the other day and all I have to say is wow...I just love how an entire book can be devoted to characters other than the main ones.

Old January 21st 03, 04:14   #5
GKarsEye
First One

Despite the fact that RW likes it, it's still a great series.

(Kidding, I'm just playin' my man. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] )

The first book was a great action/fantasy story that hooked me into it. But the great thing about the series is that as soon as it's in danger of getting boring and repetitive, it changes its focus and keeps fresh. The major shift in direction was in terms of plot, where the enemy changed from the evil Rahls and the "Keeper" to the Jagang's Empire.

But the most surprising and recent shift was hinted at in Soul of the Fire and came to complete fruition in Faith of the Fallen: the series has become an allegory for Ayn Rand-ian Objectivist philosophy. It hit me like a sledgehammer while reading Faith (ironic title, then, eh?). At first I was a little worried, as I hate being preached at. But the story was still good and I was more forgiving since I generally do agree with that world view.
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st 03, 04:21   #6
RW7427

**Whacks GKE in the head with "The Wizard's First Rule". [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old January 23rd 03, 17:09   #7
dawnchild
Psi Cop

Terry Goodkind`s "Sword of Truth"-series is very enjoyable reading I`d say! I still believe Tolkien`s "Lord of the Rings"-trilogy , Robert Jordan`s "Wheel of Time"-series and George R R Martin`s "A Song of Ice and Fire"-saga are even better ( they are fantasy-classics!! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] ) but Goodkind`s books are well worth reading as well! [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

My fav book in the "Sword of Truth"-series is book 2 "Stone of Tears" which I thought was excellent! , also book 6 "Faith of the Fallen" was very good indeed. Personally I thought book 7 - the last as of yet - was a poor entry but the story of Richard and Kahlan is surely an epic one! [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
dawnchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd 03, 19:11   #8
RW7427

I liked the earlier books better, especially ones with Darken Rahl, Jagang, the Sisters, and the Mord-Sith. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old January 30th 03, 02:22   #9
Glacophane
Ambassador

I was just browsing the Tor website today and it had a list of upcoming books...Naked Empire by Goodkind is scheduled for July. I hate this..reading series of books that will take years to complete..lol. Sometimes i can't remember what happened in the previous books.
Old January 30th 03, 03:36   #10
RW7427

Oooh, another SoT book! I hope this one has more of the Sisters, people like Nathan Rahl, and places like the Wizard's Keep! [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]