B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old December 6th 08, 03:38   #11
RW7427

Re: Legend Of The Seeker

I tried reading one of the Wheel books and I got so bored and confused by it that I never finished it. The Sword of Truth series is much better IMO.
Old December 6th 08, 10:15   #12
dawnchild
Psi Cop

Is always a matter of taste as with everything else

Btw I also enjoy "A Song of Ice and Fire" (though I wish Martin would get "A Dance With Dragons" done, waiting 4-5 years for each of his books is a bit of a pain..). I also tried the first couple of "Malazan"-books but they were not really my cup of tea (don't really know why, perhaps they way Eriksson writes.. something about the books did not appeal to me though they are obviously well written.. *shrugs*) Brandon Sanderson (after Robert Jordans tragic death last year) is finishing the final Wheel of Time-book "A Memory of Light" next year and I am sure that book will be amazing and a fitting conclusion to a great fantasy-saga.

I too read that "A Game of Thrones", the first "A Song of Ice and Fire"-novel, is going to be made into a tv-series.. sounds very interesting!

Garovorkin, have you gotten the impression that Goodkind-fans are happy with this Sword of Truth tv-series, or had they hoped for something better? Probably has much to do with expectations I guess..

Last edited by dawnchild; December 6th 08 at 10:18.
dawnchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th 08, 22:47   #13
Garovorkin
Telepath

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnchild View Post
Is always a matter of taste as with everything else

Btw I also enjoy "A Song of Ice and Fire" (though I wish Martin would get "A Dance With Dragons" done, waiting 4-5 years for each of his books is a bit of a pain..). I also tried the first couple of "Malazan"-books but they were not really my cup of tea (don't really know why, perhaps they way Eriksson writes.. something about the books did not appeal to me though they are obviously well written.. *shrugs*) Brandon Sanderson (after Robert Jordans tragic death last year) is finishing the final Wheel of Time-book "A Memory of Light" next year and I am sure that book will be amazing and a fitting conclusion to a great fantasy-saga.

I too read that "A Game of Thrones", the first "A Song of Ice and Fire"-novel, is going to be made into a tv-series.. sounds very interesting!

Garovorkin, have you gotten the impression that Goodkind-fans are happy with this Sword of Truth tv-series, or had they hoped for something better? Probably has much to do with expectations I guess..

The TV Series has Dumbed down the books considerably i would Imagine thtat a sizable number of Goodkind fans are not exactly thrilled with the series. I still do enjoy it.

, By the way You might Like Steven Erikson's Malazan series especially if you are a Glen Cook Fan, its a very intense fantasy series.
Garovorkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th 08, 03:20   #14
fisheggs
Techno-mage

It's ok, so far. I'm waiting to see how they treat Deanna, and her "training" of Richard. I missed the begining, are there any Mord Sith around Draken Rahl? Hopefully Scarlet will be done right.

I've read the entire Sword of Truth series, enjoyed (most) of it, and am glad the story is over. I've enjoyed Jordan's Wheel of Time series, and will be just as glad to have a conclusion to the story. Hopefully having a series will "inspire" Mr Martin to finish and publish Ice and Fire. The way he knocks off main characters, it cant go on too much longer.

"Humor is such a subjective thing."

"My momma didn't raise no fools: We raised ourselves!"
fisheggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th 08, 05:32   #15
RW7427

You think they'll even show Denna torturing him? I can picture having Mord Sith run around in their tight red leather, but doing much more than fighting bad guys I can't see them writing for them to do.
Old December 13th 08, 01:00   #16
fisheggs
Techno-mage

Without Mord Sith, there is no Deanna: and no white sword. Remember, Deanna didn't just torture, she seduced. There would also be no Cara, and other integral characters essential if they hope to serialize the series. And no doubt that they would be eye candy.

They REALLY need to get Scarlett right. And her egg.

Having missed the initial episodes, have they stated the Wizards First Rule yet?

"Humor is such a subjective thing."

"My momma didn't raise no fools: We raised ourselves!"
fisheggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th 08, 16:12   #17
RW7427

I don't remember whether they've stated the Wizard's First Rule yet.

Last week's episode had Shota and Samuel in it, and also Demmin Nass. Characters in the books have been appearing in the series, although I don't remember this particular storyline involving Shota being in the books. It's kinda hard to figure where events in the series would fit in the books.

Talk of the Mord-Sith and their "training" of Richard makes me wonder if they'll have the Sisters of the Light in the show and how they'll handle it. Will Verna capture Richard and take him off to the Palace of the Prophets? Will Prelate Ann be in the show? And how about the prophet Nathan? I'm curious to see how much of all this makes it into the show.
Old December 14th 08, 04:11   #18
RW7427

I've been watching the show, and as I do, I find myself grabbing the first book of the Sword of Truth series Wizard's First Rule going, "I don't remember this! Did this happen in the books?" and trying to find what's going on in the show in the books. As I've said in previous posts, it's like the producers of this show took Goodkind's characters, the whole premise of the books, and made their own version. Much of the idea of the story is the same, Richard, Kahlan, and Zedd fighting Darken Rahl and his D'Haran Empire to keep him from using magic and the Boxes of Orden to let the Keeper into the world. But the storylines are different. It makes me want to read the books again. But I can't right now because I'm trying to finish one book with two others waiting for me to read.
Old December 14th 08, 15:04   #19
channe
First One

My verdict? Lame.

The writing is horrible, the acting is cardboard, and it's just -- eeeuuw.

I'm still watching it, though. Pass the popcorn. Whee!
Old December 18th 08, 02:03   #20
Kara Baxter
Telepath

I have been watching it, and yea i thought it was ok.

I don't have time for much reading though.
Kara Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote