• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

dr.who

Yes it was. A good introductory episode.

The Doctor had gained control of his TARDIS and can now move it over short distances in both time and space.

I do not like the arched roof supports inside the TARDIS. The control room used to be very clean but the new one looks dirty.

From the previews it looks like there are going to be some interesting new aliens.

I'm glad to hear you like it.

There are loads of people, as usual, posting on the BBC boards and C4 boards saying it was c**p. They always seem to shout the loudest don't they. I bet they watch Eastenders. (Not a soap fan here)

I liked it. Any strangeness with the Doctor could be put down to post-regeneration unstableness. My Mum watched it and liked it, which is a good sign.

Shame about the sound gaff with Graham Norton though.

Dr Who?

Good.

Rose?

Dear God no...

I thought it was great when the Dr is involved in a physical struggle and she calls her mum on the mobile. :LOL:

I'll put it down to pilot writing and not blame Miss Piper just yet!

I was stunned at how bad it was. Evil wheely bins? It's no wonder the UK is a second rate TV power. The Americans create things like BSG, we create evil wheely bins. Geeze.

Elenopa wrote:
Shame about the sound gaff with Graham Norton though.
Oh good, I'm not going mad! I thought I heard that.

It was excruciatingly awful in every respect. I don't think there's any way it could possibly have been any worse..

A programme with such a premise is only ever going to work if it takes itself seriously (as I think the old Doctor Who did, on the whole) :mad: I am mad now with the BBC, with Russell T. Davies, with the apologist fans, with everyone involved, because I think it's quite possible this steaming pile could ultimately bury Doctor Who forever..

The only thing I could find to like in this travesty were the opening titles.. :cool: I may consider tuning in again, but it had better start improving fast..

This is interesting. I didn't much like the old Doctor Who, thinking it badly written with wooden acting. I quite liked the new one, with the tongue in cheek humour.

It seems this could be like BSG. People who loved the orginal hate the new version, and vice versa.

It was excruciatingly awful in every respect. I don't think there's any way it could possibly have been any worse..

did you put your clocks back an hour before you should have ? remember Dr.Who isnt a gay irish guy !!!!

I find it interesting. First of all, that spoiler code hasn't been asked for. I think it's more a reflection of apathy more than anything.

I was lucky to do college in New Mexico. If I'd stayed in Tucson, Arizona, I seriously doubt I'd ever have seen the first two or three doctors. It's just that the New Mexico station of PBS (the poor man's access to British television back in my ancient days) actually played the pre-Tom-Baker-Dr-Who.

Having seen not one second of this series I can tell you that it's a new generation and has to find its new legs. I hope it can, but I have no real input.

I loved the stage-type drama of the first doctor.

I loved the camp of the second doctor, and still consider the War arc (before they called it an arc) one of the best segments of Dr. Who I've ever seen.

Loved the Brigadeer (sorry, spelling help here?) and the interactions of the third doctor.

Tom Baker made Dr. Who popular in the USA , I suspect but don't know. He was the most dynamic of the doctors.

5th doctor was great, but... things started to get different in a way I can't quite qualify here.

After that, my ability to see the series waned. So I can't say much at all, really, other than I loved Ace. ;)

May the new Who bring a new crowd about, or die quickly.

Before we start slagging it off in comparison to BSG, bear in mind that, unlike BSG and its ilk, this is a Saturday tea-time family show aimed at a family audience and intended to be kid-friendly. My 9 year old son had pretty much the same reaction to last night's first episode as I had to watching my first Dr Who episode years ago (when Jon Pertwee was the Dr). His only disappointment was that there were no daleks in it.

The style of the plot reminded me very much of many of the old episodes, and I thought both Eccleston and Piper showed potential in their parts.

As simple, knockabout family (loosely) SF entertainment (which is exactly what I remember the show being before I lost interest during the Colin Baker era) I thought it was a good start and I am looking forward to sitting down and watching the rest of the series - with my kids. There is way too little stuff around that lets me do that, so it wins extra points just for that.

Cheers,

If the show lives long enough to be spread about the world, I'll remember that spoiler warnings are not to be expected from English shows.

Otherwise known as Anonty's revenge, I gather. ;)

At the moment, I see what I see and I suspect we'll never see the series so it probably becomes a bit of a moot point.

Too bad. Dr. Who was something I was hoping to but some part of my cable company about.

I still have to wait for 5-April to finally arrive before I can see the new Doctor Who. :( Can't wait though! :D

Tibbetts

My 9 year old son had pretty much the same reaction to last night's first episode as I had to watching my first Dr Who episode years ago (when Jon Pertwee was the Dr). His only disappointment was that there were no daleks in it.

Spoilers.

The BBC has put the entire making of programme on the internet. There is a dalek in that.
People with broadband and sound
http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho
Click on Watch -> Confidential
After seeing the trailer watch the Episode 1

At least one of the From the 60s trailers contains Daleks.

Re: dr.who - SPOILERS

I find it interesting. First of all, that spoiler code hasn't been asked for. I think it's more a reflection of apathy more than anything.

Is that subject line better?

Loved the Brigadeer (sorry, spelling help here?) and the interactions of the third doctor.
Brigadier Army office in charge of a brigade: rank in the army above colonel.

A brigadier is the equivalent of a one star US general.

Well I loved it, thought it lived up to the best of Who...

there were parts that I maybe would have skipped...the wheely bin I was fine with, but the belch?... a little too much. And the actor playing the boyfriend was dire; he clearly thought he was making a show just for kids. He'd have fit right in on Balamory... ;)

But otherwise I thought it was great. Watched it on a giant projector screen at a gaming convention on Saturday with about 100 other hard-core who fans and everyone seemed to enjoy it.

Ecclestone was great, Piper was OK, Tardis was cool...really was good. And on a similar note to Garibaldi's Hair my wife watched it; until recently the only SF stuff she'll tolerate is Smallville (and Buffy/Angel when they were on, if that counts...). But she really enjoyed the new Who and we'll be watching it together.

And that's the real success, I think. It appeases most Who fans (though clearly not all) and also has some mainstream appeal to non SF fans.

More please!

VB

I"ve heard such mixed reviews, I wonder.

I wonder if I'll ever see it. Some think it was great, some utterly lousy. So, well, at least it sounds like it was different. And, lets face it, many a show wasn't at its absolute best in episode 1.

Yea, that's true I'd think. Although, I was looking to rent Chef and was surprised I couldn't find it on DVD. :(

Back