• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Character changes (growth) in TNG?

crofootski

Regular
In a previous post, someone mentioned the character changes in TNG, DS9 and VOY. I agree that some or most of the characters in DS9 grew, and some also in VOY (except for Chakotay, whom they completely ignored!).

Does anybody think that characters in TNG grew and, if so, how?

Data obviously had the most growth on TNG, and yet was always naturally limited by his programming. This concept is expounded on quite a bit in the so-so Nemesis.

Picard's character changed in the first few years out of sheer necessity. He was prickly and not terribly likeable, either in character or on the set. He seemed to have changed in both ways simultaneously.

Worf and O'Brien's backstories were fleshed out nicely and continued their growth when they were transferred to DS9.

Wesley Crusher went through a lot of changes and eventually dropped out of Starfleet.... much to the pleasure of fans worldwide.

Riker grew a beard...

Except for Troi's hair relaxer, pretty much everyone else remained unchanged.

I'll leave the DS9 stuff for someone else.

DS9: I think both Odo and Kira grew a lot. Sisko, obviously, went through the most radical change right at the end of the series.

In fact, I'd say the characters in DS9 all grew somewhat. Even old Quark. Despite himself, I think he softened a bit during the series.

It'd be easier to say "Who didn't change during DS9"?

They had a massive range of guest characters, yet still the main cast were developed well.

I suppose Jadzia didn't have masses, and why Terry left, but there's still lots she did, and in ways she changed.

The boys in TNG and DS9 both changed the most by virtue of growing seven years older during their late teens. Also Data changed as he tried to become more human, and his appearance changed if you check out the first episode against the final episode you can see quite a change.

I thought all the characters in DS9 changed quite a bit because there really was an ongoing story there which changed their lives.

Also Data changed as he tried to become more human, and his appearance changed if you check out the first episode against the final episode you can see quite a change.
Which is amusing since the timeframe of the first episode was in the last episode. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Back