• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Dwayne McDuffie

Re: Nicholas Courtney - Dr Who Brigadier Passes

I'm as sad about the passing of the Brig as anyone. It's weird for me, though, that the entirely predictable death of a beloved 81 year old actor is robbing all the press from from the senseless and tragic death of a 49 year old writer.

I recognize that it's simply because one is highly visible to geeks like me, and the other wasn't unless you're the kind of geek who reads credits (Also like me), but still...

Not looking to pick a fight, just sayin' is all.

sadly, he never had the opportunity to appear in the New Dr. Who Series currently showing

I think he got a name check in the new Who. I know Sarah Jane name checked him several times in her show. It's not the same, but they established he was still around.

I wonder if/how they'll acknowledge it on the show. A simple "Dedicated to..." in the credits, or an onscreen mention of the death of the character, like Stargate did when Don S. Davis died?

I remember a mention of the Doctor saying all of him would go to the Brig's funeral, when it happened, but I can't remember if that was something from an episode or if it was fanon. Anyone know? It's been going on 30 years since I saw some of those UNIT episodes...
From what I understand, the Brig was intended to be at Sarah Jane's Wedding, but, unfortunately his health at the time rpevented him from appearing.

I don't believe they have finished filming Matt Smith's current season of Dr. Who, so it's possible they'll slide something in, in the coming season.

As far as McDuffie's death, that does seem to be a great loss to his fandom. I'm not really a Comic book reader, so I had no prior knowledge of him, but, from what I've read, he advanced the presence of Black artists in the genre, was a great story teller and leaves a big hole in the comic book genre.

It is sad when two greats go at the same time and compete for coverage. Farrah Fawcett's death got almost no coverage because of Michael Jackson's, and of course, Michael Jackson was the bigger story

As far as McDuffie's death, that does seem to be a great loss to his fandom. I'm not really a Comic book reader, so I had no prior knowledge of him, but, from what I've read, he advanced the presence of Black artists in the genre, was a great story teller and leaves a big hole in the comic book genre.

It is sad when two greats go at the same time and compete for coverage. Farrah Fawcett's death got almost no coverage because of Michael Jackson's, and of course, Michael Jackson was the bigger story

Yeah. He was a good guy by all accounts, and he actually tried to use his talents to make a difference in the lives of the black community. Ultimately, it didn't really work out the way he'd hoped, but it definitely affected my kids, and I'm sure it affected others as well. A little of something is better than all of nothing.

Moved these posts from the other thread, as it to my mind just really isn't appropriate. Even less appropriate would be arguing about this, though, hence I'll let it stand there.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back