• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Babylon 5 Episodes you Love that others hate ?

Abolutely JJ, but the problem is I don't think it was supposed to be weird!

As far as Grey 17 is concerned, I agree about the whole A-plot pants, B-plot excellent thing. However, I think Jeremiah's philosophy being so close to Delenn and Lorien's was probably deliberate, and a reflection of the fact that (as we see too often today) a good, sound, meaningful philosophy (or religion, call it what you will) can be easily turned into something more sinister, or simply ludicrous, by those of a certain mindset.

I'm not saying that G17IM works in that respect, but I can see how that might have been JMS' intention in putting Jeremiah's character together.

What's not to like about the A-plot of Grey 17??? :eek:

you have Lennier's long night of the soul and the coolest pike-fight in the whole series..
OK, all of the Lennier-Marcus-Neroon-Delenn stuff is the B-plot. I've never seen or heard anyone say anything that wasn't positively glowing about the B story in that episode.

You cut out everything I said about the A-plot, down to where I said 'and, on top of all that' :)

As to the impossibility of it.. The steam-powered bullets probably are impossible.. But B5 was constructed in a rush, to a modular design, and much of grey and brown sectors were left unfinished. It would only have required a small bribe or a sect of 'true believers' in the construction crew to reprogram the transport tube before the numbers were allocated, and that's all that would be required to 'lose' the level (in fact, they couldn't have got there without outside help). The believers themselves had tapped into the waste and water reclamation systems, so they weren't eating well but hadn't starved..

As for the Zarg, perhaps it is like a snake, only consuming one meal every few months. Assuming it ate around three or four believers a year, that would make a total of 15-20 in the five years since the station was built. That doesn't seem impossible..

As far as Grey 17 is concerned, I agree about the whole A-plot pants, B-plot excellent thing. However, I think Jeremiah's philosophy being so close to Delenn and Lorien's was probably deliberate, and a reflection of the fact that (as we see too often today) a good, sound, meaningful philosophy (or religion, call it what you will) can be easily turned into something more sinister, or simply ludicrous, by those of a certain mindset.

Maybe.
Here's another possibility: I remember reading (probably in the Lurker's Guide) that JMS was ill while writing this. My guess is that he was so burnt and tired and sick that when he needed some mumbo-jumbo spewing from Jeremiah's mouth, he lazily fell back on the same mystical "we are the universe" shit he came up for other characters.

The reason I personally dislike the A plot is the timing. All this fantastic stuff is going on in the series, and they take a time-out to have a missing level and a cult of doom.

Of course I'm not going to complain about Garibaldi having a leading role, but I consider him the lead role at the end of season 4. Now that was good. Either way, Garibaldi is one character that did not get shafted in terms of screen time or character development at all.

I guess that's the difference. I would take great delight in punching his throat when he's in the middle of a sentence; almost as bad as Lorien.

Hey, he's the oldest sentient being in the universe. He takes his time because he's got so much of it.

I hated Intersections in Real Time the first time I saw it. Thought it was terrific the second time. It was the second episode of B5 I saw (Face of the Enemy was the first) so I didn't know Sheridan well enough to care about him.

TKO isn't nearly as good, but I still like it. Same with Exogenesis.

Well, I'm a huge Sheridan fan, so I didn't like what they did to him.
The first time I saw it, it was just an episode about unpleasant things happening to a character I didn't know very well. The second time (after I had seen the whole series, and had myself become a huge Sheridan fan) I found it deeply moving, and could appreciate Bruce Boxleitner's terrific performance.

I didn't know Sheridan well enough to care about him.

Well, I'm a huge Sheridan fan, so I didn't like what they did to him. :mad: :LOL:

Meaning what? You don't like that JMS killed him or you don't like that he turned him into an arrogant and detached politician?

'Grail' is one of my favourite episodes of the first season.

I know loads of people hate it. I know JMS wants every copy dropped off the end of a pier. It still has the greatest pre-title cliffhanger of season one.

I still remember watching it with my brother. When the tenticle retracted into the Vorlon encounter suit, we both went, "Whaaaaaa! Are we going to see what a Vorlon looks like!!!"

Even at that early point in B5, the Vorlons were the most mysterious characters ever written.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back