• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Planet Earth

Lyta

Is anyone watching this series? I am so amazed each week to see what incredible animals and locations they have captured on film. It is so fucking cool.

Well, maybe it does help if you have HDTV and an 8 foot screen too. :LOL:

Come on over MindWalker. :D Wait a minute ......... were you just propositioning me?? Should that be reserved for NC17? :p

I like that Sigourney is doing the naration for the US broadcast of it (David Attenborough did it for the original UK broadcast last year). I do quite enjoy Sigourney.

Ooooh I like Attenborough but Sigourney is very nice to listen to as well. Damn, those are two very hard to spell names. It doesn't help that I am very tired. I guess I should sleep now. ;)

Cool, let me know what you think. :) We just watched it yesterday and tonight is "Great Plains".

Now I have seen three Planet Earth eps, "Shallow Seas," "Jungle," and "Fresh Water." I am impressed. The photography is wonderful. Technically, it really is cutting edge, as to their high-speed and ariel photography. They also do underwater, timelapse and satellite photography, often bringing all of these to bear on the same subject. Beyond the technical competence, the films are well-composed, and artistically well done, more so that the vast majority of nature docs I have seen. They are beautiful and compelling to see. I found "Jungle" to be less impressive than the other two. I attribute this to the limitations of shooting in the jungle, which would not allow many of the techniques used in the others.

I liked the narration. It was factual, and understated. It had none of that cutesy, familiar stuff that is used in much TV doc these days, to try to appeal to a wide audience, Disney-like. I did notice that in "Fresh Water," Sigourney said "anthropod" when she meant arthropod, when refering to a large shrimp-like animal living in Lake Baikal. A forgivable error. She was probably just recalling Gorillas In The Mist. ;)

The music is also very well suited, complimentary and evocative, without being obtrusive. It sounded great in Dolby Digital.

I'll be checking it out regularly. It's the kind of thing that makes me wish the Comcast DVR had more GB on its HDD. I'd like to store some, to use as video wall paper. I like to put freeze frames on the screen when I have company, if we aren't watching movies. It looks so much nicer than a blank big screen, and burn-in is not possible with my DLP TV.

I am glad you are enjoying it JJ! I am a bit behind because I have been busy doing our taxes but everytime I watch ... I am so amazed at what I just saw and learned. I also agree about the cutting edge technology for capturing these events on our planet.

They are selling this on DVD so I am definitely putting it on my wishlist soon.

My friend didn't like Planet Earth, because he enjoys nature documentaries where people are more present.

I enjoyed it though. I really felt for the poor paradise bird as he tried to "get the girl"... his plumage seemed tragicomic... but I won't say what it looked like if you haven't seen it.

The moments that were also quite moving, were the Planet Earth diaries at the end of each episode. Particularly the moments where the camera crew are witnessing something harrowing. The two that spring most to mind, are the great white shark hunting seals... and the lion pack taking on unusual prey (I won't say what they were after because I don't wish to ruin it).

I also felt very sorry for the poor balloonist cameraman as he tried to get shots of a particular type of tree.

My friend didn't like Planet Earth, because he enjoys nature documentaries where people are more present.

:confused: That's pretty much an oxymoron to me. I do like lots of docs with, and about, people, and some include their interaction with animals, and nature. But, docs that focus on nature, and or animals, should only include people if they are important to the subject(s) being dealt with. Perhaps your friend would like the doc better if the sharks were dining on people, rather than seals? ;)

I understood where he was coming from, he likes seeing the reactions of people on screen as they encounter the magnificent creatures.

There is a famous clip of Attenborough chugging along in a dinghy as a blue whale comes up by him... and you can hear the excitement in his voice... and you can tell the priveledge that he feels.

Or Simon King, Bill Oddie and *sigh* Kate Humble on Spring/Autumnwatch which I gues you guys haven't seen.

It is the joy and wonder in their faces.

Takes this excerpt from Autumnwatch for example... although the image quality doesn't do it too much justice.

The starlings are amazing... to look at them in your garden, you'd just think they were an oily looking scavenging cheeky thing... and yet here, they are doing the same thing as fish... but in the sky, surrounded by hundreds of their own kind and travelling at great speed!

Awesome.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back