• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

JMS at the ComicCom(Sat)..some BIG (vague) news...

lazlor

Beyond the rim
Saw JMS yesterday... caught part of his Jeremiah panel, and then the panel where he discussed comics, the B5 universe...

a few tidbits... :
-Spidey 500 will be 30 something pages long, at least 10 pages longer than our normal comic...
-Supreme Power/Squadron Supreme is hitting as close to him in pride etc as Midnight Nation... very happy with it...
-enjoys comic writing the most out of any format, as there aren't suits hanging over his head with notes all the time, enjoys the total freedom...
-we will see the rest of Rising Stars when Top Cow "stops being dicks"
-we will never see the end of Crusade... sorry... b/c of the Warner ownership. No books, comics, etc...
... and the big, albeit vague news from JMS....

"THEY" haven't said yes, "THEY" haven't said no. "THEY" have said maybe. Who am I referring to? Warner Bros. What am I referring to? A revisit to the B5 universe. From what I gathered, this doesn't clash with the Crusade info I just posted. I believe it is something new. He said he can't say a word, because everything is up in the air.

Rejoice!

for you writers out there... heh, I got a copy of SIL, and he autographed it "Keep Writing".. which meant a lot to me, being a writer and what not...
.. and when you're down in the dumps, lift your spirits, as JMS told me he had around 347 rejection slips before his writing broke out. (chatted a bit in the autograph line.. it was cool)
... the one thing that sucks, is today (Sun) he actually has a panel on writing.... and I'm back in LA with no cash lol... oh well...

lazlor

Thanks a lot for the post and the info. Its always cool to read about people's reactions meeting JMS. He seems to be a very inspiring person from what I gather from people on this board who have met him.

The "maybe" B5 news is cool to hear too! Maybe those B5 DVD's have gotten the attention of some of the suits. :)

lazlor, thanks for the info. It's really interesting hearing that there could possibly be something more of the B5 universe coming for us; I know I'd totally be all for it and having jms work his creative magic. "Bring it on," I say.

I'm glad you had a good time seeing him and having your little chat and getting the autograph!

Thanks for the update, did you happen to see the WB's film crews interviewing fans for the S5 DVD's? Sad to hear about Crusade, but glad to see something may be brewing in the B5 Universe sometime in the future. Keep buying the DVD's and who knows.

Thanks again for the update.

Cerberus

Re: JMS at the ComicCom(Sat)..some BIG (vague) new

Thanks for the update Lazlor and it sounds like you had a fantastic time. Was there any news about Jeremiah? ;)

Arrgghh! I didn't go to Comic-Con on Sat. because I didn't have enough money to return for a 2nd day, I have seen JMS at cons several times, & I had never seen the Farscape actors at a con (they were there Fri., & I went to the panel). Great news that we might be getting more B5! I *knew* that the DVD sales might open up some eyes! :D

Tammy

PS--What is the Crusade news you were talking about?

Thanks for the update, did you happen to see the WB's film crews interviewing fans for the S5 DVD's?
I do believe at one point JMS commented in the moderated forum that he had hoped that one of the later seasons of B5 on DVD would have an extra that features the fans. I would say its a very good bet that those WB camera crews are filming exactly that. Probably for the Season 5 release.

heya all,

to answer a few questions....

-yes, I saw the interviews going on for Season 5, had to make the choice of going to the autograph line to chat & get the script or get on camera... I chose the big man himself...

-Lyta... bad news about Jeremiah... ( I can't believe I forgot to say this...) IF there is a third season, JMS won't be attached. Seems he's having a bit o' problems with MGM, which leads him to the "life's too short" argument....

-Gkarfan.. the Crusade news was that there is no Crusade news. JMS won't go back there because it is a Warner Bros property, and I guess he doesn't want to retread that area. He does seem to want to get back in the Universe though...

a sad little story he recounted... he was talking about how the S5 dvd's extra's are fan based, since we had such an impact on the show, and vica versa.
(this is on my own recollections from a hectic day yesterday, any real life descrepancy is my memory's fault)
.. well, he had gotten an email from a father, said that the guy had a daughter that was born... with problems... anyway, the daughter would ALWAYS be crying, except when the dad was watching B5. He said the daughter would sit on his lap, and actually seem to be paying attention to the show. SOOO.... seems the little girl died last year. JMS said that a thing the man would do now, when thinking of his daughter, would watch B5 with a pillow in his lap...

very sad...

and for once, he DIDN'T use his bully pulpit to go into politics, for which I was very happy...

overall a very good time...

laz..

Thanks Lazlor! I have heard that story about the pillow before ... it does pull at the heart strings.

Real bummer about Jeremiah and I guess I could see it coming. :( Stupid MGM. :mad:

I think we should be writing to WB at this point, since they are thinking about doing more B5. Any addresses? I mean, why not? It might help.

Tammy

I think we should be writing to WB at this point, since they are thinking about doing more B5. Any addresses? I mean, why not? It might help.

Tammy
Write them about what? What are you going to say?

"We heard a rumor you are considering doing something B5 again possibly maybe. Thanks a lot for that." :confused:

No, one would mention in a letter to them how much one was enjoying watching Babylon 5 on the DVD releases. Refer to the lack of good science fiction programming on television at the current time. And then encourage them to consider returning to jms to get him to revive the B5 universe in a new show in order to fill this void.

the Crusade news was that there is no Crusade news. JMS won't go back there because it is a Warner Bros property, and I guess he doesn't want to retread that area. He does seem to want to get back in the Universe though...

Perhaps he will incorporate the Crusade story in the new series (please let it happen!), as he was going to do in the LOTR story.

Perhaps he will incorporate the Crusade story in the new series (please let it happen!), as he was going to do in the LOTR story.

I don't think he can do that. Here's what he said on Crusade:

Thing is, of course, there's zip that I can *do* that would achieve that result. I can stand outside WB and hold my breath until I turn blue, but that's about it. If a network were to come to them and ask for it, that's one
thing...but the studio owns Crusade, and without a compelling marketplace and an interested buyer, there's nothing they can or will do in the matter.

(Which goes to the note some people post asking why I don't write in this area anymore, do I not care about it. Yeah, of course I do, but WB owns it, and if I went otf and started writing stories in that universe I'd be infringing their ownership.)

Well, if he was talking to WB about a new visit to the B5 universe, and WB owns the rights to Crusade, what's the problem? :confused:

It does seem inconsistent, but you can see what the man said :(

It does seem inconsistent, but you can see what the man said :(

I'm not sure, but I think JMS meant that if WB won't commit to a Crusade series (or books or audio episodes, a la Dr. Who, or so on), it isn't going to happen. And it sounds like WB isn't interested in doing Crusade for whatever reason. :(

On the other hand, WB might be very interested in keeping the B5 Universe alive with a movie, new series, more books, whatever.

One does not seem to preclude the other.

I'm sure that in any new project, he'll drop vague hints about the Crusade storyline. He's too much of a sadist not to. ;)

What's the story about JMS, Jeremiah, & MGM? Were there problems, & what were they?

Tammy

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back