• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

NewbieQ: Outsider's perspective on B5

Re: NewbieQ: Outsider\'s perspective on B5

And now the deal is dead? ....or are they still trying to hammer something out?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

.... Judging from the tone of voice, I'm afraid it's dead. ....

This is one of those days that I wonder why I bother to support B5 in any way and come to this board. When they can't even get a bunch of new b5 books off the ground.

Seems like every new idea in the B5 universe is destined to fizzle. :( :mad: It's almost as if there's a strike force out there, and as soon as a new B5 item starts to sprout, a**holes come out of the woodwork with weedkiller, and spray it from all sides, either from the "It won't be profitable enough." camp, or the "We only do sure things camp.", or the "Kill it before it grows!" camp.

Support B5 by introducing new fans to what's already been made. Those fans can enjoy what's already out there (except for stuff that's out of print, and for which nobody is doing a reprinting (e.g. the three Del Rey trilogies, the six short stories, etc.).

Especially if it turns out it, that someone jumped the gun to soon in posting the original message that the deal was done . :mad:

I wonder how this really might have killed the deal anyway.

I wonder how this really might have killed the deal anyway.

Hard to tell with no data. I think that the 'overstepped their authority' probably referred to the announcement being premature but I don't think that something like that would be enough to kill any real deal offer. If both companies stood to profit from it, it probably would have happened. I doubt we'll ever know, though.

Jan

Seems like every new idea in the B5 universe is destined to fizzle. It's almost as if there's a strike force out there, and as soon as a new B5 item starts to sprout, a**holes come out of the woodwork with weedkiller, and spray it from all sides

Yep I agree and I bet my entire DVD collection they're diehard Trekkies :mad:

Um... yeah. And they're the same people who faked moon landing.

No new B5 stuff on the way

As for Babylon 5, JMS said that he told the story that he wanted to tell, and plans for a feature film based on the property never really came together. Right now, there are no plans for B5 for film, television, or books, according to the creator.
link

Re: No new B5 stuff on the way

As for Babylon 5, JMS said that he told the story that he wanted to tell, and plans for a feature film based on the property never really came together. Right now, there are no plans for B5 for film, television, or books, according to the creator.
link

That's funny, now that the last Star Wars movie will be out of the way soon. Hmmm, lemme guess. The success of Episode III will cause Lucas to rethink his decision about not doing Episodes VII thru IX, and so, we'll have to wait for those to be out of the way. :rolleyes: Until then, comics, comics, comics, but not B5 comics. <hork>*

*What we need here is a "Tossing my cookies." smilie.

I doubt Lucas will do a Star Wars 7,8,9. Star Wars is really the story of Darth Vader. We've got his whole life pretty much and he died in ep 6, so that's pretty much it. Sure they could develop other parts of the universe and there is a ton of stuff to play with there, but as far as Lucas goes I don't think we will see more from him. He said that from the beginning. And even though many of you didn't like ep I or II much, they were still hugely sucessful so I doubt even MORE sucess will change his mind. He has too much else to do.

I agree that the Star Wars movies are the story of Anakin Skywalker, and I think that'll stay that way. However, I think the wanting to do stories in the SW universe still that are not focused on Anakin is what has Lucas looking the direction of doing a 100-episode TV series.

I'm am *SO* all over that! I hope it's made with the quality of the movies.

Actually Deaded, Lucas has been flip-flopping forever on both Eps 1-3 and 7-9. First he said he'd do them all, them he said the first was it. When he finally decided to do 1-3, he said that would be it, then I believe right before ep1 aired he thought he'd do 7-9, and now his latest is he won't do 7-9, but, he isn't neccessarily opposed to someone else doing it. So, he hasn't always said no 7-9, that's just the latest direction he's leaning.

So who are going to be the Rangers, watching and waiting for new B5-universe news, while the rest of us are in cryonic suspension?

Me, I think I'll change my homepage to JMSNews.com as my one automatic checkpoint, to see if JMS does anything in the B5 universe ever again, or anything that's not a comic.

Signing up to a news-alert service could be a good way to keep up with things in the Babylon 5 field, or other things JMS-related.

Actually Deaded, Lucas has been flip-flopping forever on both Eps 1-3 and 7-9. First he said he'd do them all, them he said the first was it. When he finally decided to do 1-3, he said that would be it, then I believe right before ep1 aired he thought he'd do 7-9, and now his latest is he won't do 7-9, but, he isn't neccessarily opposed to someone else doing it. So, he hasn't always said no 7-9, that's just the latest direction he's leaning.

OMG, Sindatur, if you're right I would KISS you! That would be the most wonderful thing! I hope to god you're right. Of course, I don't believe in god so that doesn't count for much, but DAMN. The prospect of more SW is soooo nice! I helps me get of out that funk I've been in ever since seeing ROTS.

Well, before you get too excited, be sure to notice the caveat there of "not Neccessarily opposed" to allowing someone else to do it. So, that means there's a snowball's chance in hell, but, at least a little chance is better than no chance.

Which is better than the chance that we'll be getting any new B5 stuff any time... uh.... EVER.

Well, if SW fans really want it to happen badly enough, I would suggest a letter writing campaign to Lucas, and to Lawrence Kasdan, asking that Kasdan be given total control over 7-9, or at least 7, with an option for 8 and 9, and begging Kasdan to accept. Lucas has offered before, but Kasdan has not accepted. Kasdan is probably the only one Lucas would allow to take his baby and run with it. And total control is probably the only way Kasdan would ever consider doing it.

Back