• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Lyta and Gkar?

WhiteStar12

Beyond the rim
It's probably around on this message board somewhere but I'll ask again...

Since Gkar is returning, will there be an appearance by Lyta? From memory didn't they both leave together at the end of B5?

Fogive my ignorance if I got it totally wrong :}

------------------
IHHBHG
Live Well.
WhiteStar12

I think this thread has pretty much covered your question:

Where's Lyta?

But to give a short, spoiling answer: it seems that by the time the events in B5LR take place, Lyta is, *sniff*, no more.
frown.gif

------------------
"You've misspelled this. There's no 'Y' in liberties."
"Oh, go away. Repress someone else."

I seem to remember people here saying that the Ranger project is supposed to take place 3 years after Objects at Rest from season 5. Somewhere in between there the Telepath War is supposed to happen, and Lyta is supposed to have died in that war. So, no I don't think we will see her in the Ranger project. Sorry
frown.gif

------------------
Sheridan to Bester:
And I could nail your head to the table, set fire to it, and feed your charred remains to the Pak'ma'ra.

At the very start of ACtA we see the ISN anchor talk about the 'recent telepath crisis'

which seems to impliy that the the teep war had ended possibly only a few days ago and at most a few months.

So B5LR must take place either before or during the teep war.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>So B5LR must take place either before or during the teep war.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But it doesn't, because JMS has already said it doesn't.
smile.gif
Also I wouldn't hang a "must" on something "implied." Something is only a "must" if something is stated flat-out.
wink.gif

"Recent" is a pretty elastic term, especially as you get older. If a politician gets mixed up with a subordinate I can easily imagine a news anchor referring to other "recent" scandals including the Clinton-Lewinsky business, even though that happened a couple of years ago. Also remember that the Teep Crisis is something of an on-going event. People are still dealing with the fall-out from it and the "new rules" it produced for some time after. That kind of thing tends to make people see the whole series of events as "current" or at least "recent."

We know from various things JMS has posted, from the Crusade writer's guide and from B5 itself that Lyta and G'Kar intend to return in 2264 and that Lyta is going to move against Psi-Corps as soon as she does. (She repeatedly refers to the two year deadline in talking to Garibaldi, and makes her removal of Bester's block contingent on his having a force ready to go when she gets back.) Everything indicates that the war starts in 2264.

You also have to consider Matheson. Psi-Corps is destroyed as a result of the Teep War. That means the politicians needed time to draft legislation abolishing Psi-Corps and establishing whatever it is that replaced it. Until the new rules were in place, telepaths were still banned from serving in the regular military. Yet by 2267 Matheson is a lieutenant in EarthForce and already assigned to an Explorer-class ship as executive officer.

A Call to Arms takes place over only a few days. Gideon and Matheson return to Earth very soon after the attack, while there is still massive amounts of debris orbiting the planet awaiting clearance by Hazmat teams. This is probably only a few days after the Drakh attack, two weeks at most. Early in 2267, certainly, which means that the Drakh attacked either at the very end of 2266 or the very beginning of 2267.

If the Telepath Crisis had ended only a couple of weeks before that, how the heck did Matheson enlist in EarthForce, complete OCS, get his commission and spend enough time with Gideon for Gideon to call him "The best XO I've ever had"? Were all the previous execs that bad ?
smile.gif

You'd have to allow for at least a year, probably a little more, between the end of the Teep Crisis and the beginning of Crusade just to account for Matheson. That pushes the end of the war back to 2265.

In subsequent posts JMS has said explicitly that the Teep War starts in 2264 and ends in 2265, and that the Rangers movie takes place after the war is over in 2265. So regardless of what was "implied" in ACtA I think we're going to have to accept that the new movie is post-Teep War, and that Lyta won't be in it or the series (except perhaps in flashbacks.)

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

Given that the Omega had been pursuing the Drakh ship since the end of the battle, War Zone could have been mere hours after ACtA.

Also, I don't know how wise it is to extrapolate from War Zone. Jms doesn't like it, and might just decide to "de-canonize" it...

------------------

Yeah I completly forgot Matheson, damm.

But still the ISN reporter in ACtA really makes it sound as if it was a recent event.
Its not just what she says its how she said it.

Still yes it seems very unlikely in light of me actualy thinking about it.

Maybe there was another smaller teep crisis after the main teep one?

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>But still the ISN reporter in ACtA really makes it sound as if it was a recent event.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're right, there is no question that this is how it sounds (which I don't think is an accident) and that was my impression on first watching ACtA as well. But after watching Crusade I realized that the timing couldn't possibly work. It is even possible that JMS hadn't quite pinned down the chronology when he wrote the movie, since he seems to have an odd mental block when it comes to dates.

(David Sheridan's birth doesnt' quite work out for story time unless Human-Minbari hybrids have unusually short gestation periods. JMS missed several dating errors in Peter David's Centauri books that contradict the series when he reviewed it prior to publication. The dates of the Earth-Minbar war and the start of the Babylon project have never been exactly nailed down and vary slightly based on different internal clues.)

But both the internal evidence from the two series and JMS's statements leave us stuck in the later part of 2265, with a gap of a least a year between Lyta's Last Stand and ACtA.
smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

[This message has been edited by Joseph DeMartino (edited June 06, 2001).]

It's been a while since I saw ACtA, but wasn't the reporter talking about the dedication of a monument to the casualties of the "recent telepath crisis"? If my memory is correct, there had to be time to decide whether the public was happy with the outcome of the conflict, come up with a design for the monument, allocate funds, build the monument, and schedule a dedication ceremony. Likely at the one year anniversary of the climax of the crisis.

------------------

Some of the chronology of B5 is slightly off. I've tried to find out when various events took place, and have gotten conflicting dates. As for the Earth-MInbari War it is possible to come to a tentative, if not definite date as to when it started. InSic Transit Vir the voice of Ivanova's computer gives the date as early July [I can't remember the exact date]. We know it's the year 2260. In the next episode A Late Delivery From Avalon which probably takes place within a couple of wseks of Sic Transit VirFrankling after finding out the real identity ofArthur states that the Minbari War began fifteen years ago today. So, we can probably pin the war's start to somewhere in mid-July to eary August.
Actually, mention of this episode brings up an interesting question. Late in the story, Delenn goes to visit MacIntyre in Medlab,How did Delenn feel about visiting the man who fired the shots that started the Earth-MInbari War, and killed her leader, and friend, Dukhat? Especially in light of "Atonement"? How many people could have worked up the courage to even think of doing it, let alone doing it?

------------------

Back