• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5 Scrolls RIP

Ubik

Regular
Just posting Tom's message that appeared on FB today. Seems B5 Scrolls is gone, at least for now, unless someone hosts it elsewhere as a mirror. The site is/was an invaluable resource for those interested in the visual effects side of B5. If for one will miss it. Cheers for all the quality material Tom!

B5 Scrolls said:
Back in 2012 I was told by those who were hosting B5Scrolls that they were not going to renew their server agreement. On hearing that I joined facebook and set this page up to let folks find the VERY revealing and largely unknown information which came up during the interviews over on the scrolls….. Though in truth, most were just the edited transcripts of some long email based chats…… Some of wh...ich took place over years……. Then there was the 100’s of pieces of previously unreleased production concept art the “guys” sent over as well.

B5Scrolls had actually been kicking around in its current form since 2008 – though has been updated a couple of times. The funny thing was, that just after I joined facebook warning people to download it now, and making a right nuisance of myself on more than one forum in the process, the bastards decided to renew their contract for a further two years.

Well, as of tonight the two years are up……… and B5Scrolls is down. Here’s the message you receive if you go to the front door of the website and forum that formally made up ‘The Mad Goner’ site..

http://www.themadgoner.com/phpBB3/index.php

The good news is though, that the last time I checked well over 50,000 people have downloaded the site, and it’s had some far reaching consequences both within the fan community and even behind the scenes……. Not bad for something that started out as a quick exercise in coding up a basic web page.

Since setting up this facebook page a number of people have offered to put up mirrors of the site – which I’ve never had any problem with. Unfortunately most of those who offered were just looking to use it as a means of increasing traffic to their own websites, and didn’t bother doing it once they found out others were considering it as well….. It was like a comedy sketch with the result that none of them hosted it….. And in a slight twist of irony the two B5 related sites that *were* going to save it for posterity both no longer exist.

BTW. The obvious question your probably asking yourself right about now is, why doesn’t this tit just set up his own domain and host the site there. Good question. The short answer is, I don’t want to. To be more precise I don’t want the hassle. Putting the site together was bad enough (jms’s and jan’s visit to this page last year gives a hint to what I’m referring to).

Contrary to opinions expressed in some corners, I was never looking to feed off the work of others (whatever the hell that means), or set myself up as some sort of “celebrity” within the fan community….. I’m not even a jms ‘hater’!!?? You’ve no idea how funny those suggestions are. But that’s why the site is/was FREE and doesn’t have any ads, why I turned down more than a few requests to be interviewed (it wasn’t meant to be about me), and why my name doesn’t even appear on the site or anywhere on this facebook page.

At the end of the day, I was more than happy to let it quietly disappear like a fart in the wind until Steve Burg mentioned that in the last 21 years I was the first and only person to have ever contacted him about his work on the show…….. Which is frankly f’ing shocking!

So as the only person to have interviewed him, and I know this sounds kind of corny and some just won’t ‘get it’ or believe it, but I felt a certain obligation to give people the chance to find out what he and the others had to say – and I’m glad that I did, there’s a lot of good stuff to be read. But with the closure of the ‘madgoner’ site and being cut off from further updating B5Scrolls (and there was one in the pipeline), I now feel that self imposed obligation has been met, and I’m at last going to rejoin the silent majority from whence I came. Which will be good news to some.

Though never say never, right? Maybe in a year or three.

Plus, anyone who already has the website, is more than welcome to share it with others. Just don’t try selling it or any other kind of dipshit like that.

If anyone has set up a mirror of the site, message me on here and I’ll post a link to it.

Cheers.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back