• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

After many episodes...my take on Jeremiah

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>You like SG1, enough said.<hr></blockquote>

please, dont do that. i cant stand that...

It was just a joke, i thought you guys might have a since of humor. And i thought i kinda hinted that by saying "Everyone likes different things"

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr><font color=yellow>\
What your not realizing is that Jeremiah is not truely a "Science Fiction" show except for the fact that the "virus" was develop[ed scientifically there is nothing SF about it. It mainly is just a "Fiction" show. And when i first saw B5 i to thought it sucked ass, note i am only 16, later on my dad started to watch the later seasons and i got interested in it.

{<font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

You don't realize that everyone has a different mental definition of what science fiction is and isn't. I give regular dramatic "fiction" shows even less time to intrigue me because they need less time to introduce me into their fictional world. If I throw Jeremiah into that category, it still comes up "boring".

It's boring no matter what category you want to put it in.

1. Advice to Savant and gangster:
Don't watch the show. What the heck is "watching out of loyalty?" You don't owe JMS anything. It's like people who insist on watching new Star Trek shows even though they hate it, or watching X-Files for the past couple of years while many fans agree it went downhill.

The only "loyalty" I had was to at least give the show a shot. It so happens that I'm really into it now, and it's my favorite non-comedy show on TV. Granted, I don't really watch much of anything else, but there you are. But if I wouldn't like it, I would cancel Showtime and not watch it. The end.

Stop watching! Really, it'll make you happier and you won't waste 45 minutes of your time on a bad show.

2. Advice to everyone else:
You cannot argue a person into making them like something. Do you know how many times I hear this?: "If you like Star Trek and Babylon 5, then you must love Buffy and/or Farscape." No, I don't, so there. Nor will I watch the West Wing or Law & Order or any other show that I'm just not intelligent and sophisticated enough to "get."

I agree. I felt it was my "duty" to give Enterprise a try, and I did, but it just doesnt hold my interest. There are some redeeming aspects to the show, but I only watch it if Im home and my roomie is watching it, and its usually on in the background for me.

I also agree about X-Files. The quality HAS dropped the last 2 season, and I did actually stop watching it because of it. No Mulder = show went down the tubes. I however, out of "duty" have been watching the last 6 episodes and plan on watching the Finale tonight. After all the time invested in the show, I felt it was a duty to see how it ends (even if they do a poor job of it). I actually am looking forward to tonights finale no matter what.

But you are right in that if you feel you have a duty, it should only be to give it a chance and move on from there.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Cerbs_Friend:
<font color=yellow>It was just a joke, i thought you guys might have a since of humor. And i thought i kinda hinted that by saying "Everyone likes different things"</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

my apologies then, i know a few people who say things like that, and it kinda grates on you

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by GKarsEye:
<font color=yellow>1. Advice to Savant and gangster:
Don't watch the show. What the heck is "watching out of loyalty?" You don't owe JMS anything. It's like people who insist on watching new Star Trek shows even though they hate it, or watching X-Files for the past couple of years while many fans agree it went downhill.
</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Beat you to it! /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif Cancelled my showtime package this morning.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by GKarsEye:
<font color=yellow>1. Advice to Savant and gangster:

The only "loyalty" I had was to at least give the show a shot. "</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

If you re-read my first post. That's exactly what I did--give the show a shot. I recognize that a show like this needs more time to build than other TV shows. I didn't just give it a shot because it was JMS. I do this with all shows in the genre because I know that when they do grab me, it is a very rewarding experience. I gave that show "Total Recall" that was on Showtime before a shot too.

I never said anything about watching out of loyalty. I said I was watching to see if it would gain my loyalty. The word "loyalty" in media research terms refers to the number of times a viewer watches a show. If it's 1 out of 4 episodes, it's low loyalty. If it's 4 out of 4, it's high.

As to your advice to stop watching, I've decided that is what I will probably do and watch an episode every once in a while when I have time to see if it improves.

It's odd to get that advice here, though. When Crusade was on and people said they didn't like the 13 episodes, people screamed that 13 episodes wasn't enough to judge a show...that it had *potential*.

Now, I'm told that the best thing to do if you don't like something after fewer episodes, "stop watching".

In this case, though, I'm going to follow GKarseye's advice.

That's because Crusade's survival depended on the number of people watching it. Jeremiah's future (a near one at leats) is guaranteed on the other hand.

An add to your post: The only items I see going for Jeremiah are known actors and JMS's reputation, who, in this instance, is producing a series without thinking through what would logically happen in the world he uses for the story background. An unmentioned example is sex. There wouldn't be any contraceptives around and survival chances of lone woman trying to raise a child would not be high so it would not be long before women would begin insisting the guy be around to help raise and feed the kid(s) before jumping into bed with him. This isn't a matter of morality, simply survival. And so on....

Savant, I didn't realise that "loyalty" was as an official TV term.

It's amazing how much I learned about the TV biz from hanging around this forum.

I also would have never told anyone to keep watching Crusade or Rangers or whatever. First of all, it doesn't matter with ratings because they only count Nielson households. (Except maybe indirectly, eg, non-Nielson viewers watching it and recommending it to Nielson viewers.) Second of all, it's not the viewer's responsibility to support shows, just to watch and enjoy them.

While I could write up a whole thing as to why I disagree with many of the criticisms (roads, child-raising, how people react in that situation) and why I think you're just plain wrong, I won't. What's the point?

I consider TV a big waste of time, anyway. The way I see it, if I'm going to waste my time watching TV, it damn well better be worth it. If a show stinks, I'd rather leave it off and use that time to get some exercise or find a hooker. It's more productive.

i only have a few things:
how many of you have lived in a world where something killed off all the adults?

because that is the only way you have any right to say anything about how people would react! i mean you can use 'well a normal person would' but i don't by that because these were kids, and they grew up without parents to teach them and guide them into being 'normal and reasonable' persons.

as far as the 'virus' it could be possible if it only effected people with certain amounts of hormones and the like.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Genesis:
<font color=yellow>That's because Crusade's survival depended on the number of people watching it. Jeremiah's future (a near one at leats) is guaranteed on the other hand.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

I wasn't aware it had been renewed for a second season.

Well (more or less) guaranteed. Second season is looking -likely- and at least Jeremiah gets to finish its -first- season.

GKarsEye...dont flame

SavantB5 told his thoughts about this show and you start flameing. Cant he express his opinions?

My takes on Jeremiah:
I dont have seen all episodes but it is basically just another sci-fi show. Nothing special. I only watch it because i like arc stories and as Channe said, i'm waiting for other shoe to drop.
Maybe i have been waiting something better because "The Long Road" was imo very good pilot (by far best pilot JMS has done)..

Sigma

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Sigma:
<font color=yellow>GKarsEye...dont flame

SavantB5 told his thoughts about this show and you start flameing. Cant he express his opinions?
</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
Two things.

One, I dont think GKE was flaming Savant at all. He was probably talking to the people who were trying to talk Savant into continuing to watch the show. I saw no flaming above.

Two, he is a she. /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif

What the hell are you talking about? How could it be flaming if Savant knew it wasn't and reacted positively to my post? In fact, I supported her opinion, even though I disagree with it.
/ubbthreads/images/icons/confused.gif

sorry...maybe i stressed some parts of your post more than other parts. I have nothing against your post..just your posting style was slightly (sp?) to agressive. Or maybe i'm just in bad mode or tired. /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif

Sigma

PS. To be completly honest i havent read 100% posts in this thread.

I didn't feel any flame in any of this discussion. In fact, I was glad I brought the topic up. The response was varied and interesting.

Again, I felt no heat.

Ta ta for now. Come back in season 4 when Kurdy is proclaimed god emperor of Earth for the next 2000 years
(hell, knowing jms anything could happen)

Back