B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old December 26th 08, 10:28   #41
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad
Re: Movie and seasons order

It doesn't look good. The links on other sites that I've encountered suggest it was an Amazon exlcusive.

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th 08, 18:14   #42
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galacid View Post
I have just been informed by Amazon.co.uk that my order for Babylon 5: The Complete Collection + The Lost Tales is the following: "Unfortunately, we are unable to offer this item for sale. Our supplier has informed us that this item is no longer available.

What a gutter!!! Does anyone know where I can get the exact same one?
Oh well, it looks like you might have to get the DVDs the way B5 fans originally did on DVD, piece by piece:
  • Babylon 5 Season 1 (6 DVDs)
  • Babylon 5 Season 2 (6 DVDs)
  • Babylon 5 Season 3 (6 DVDs)
  • Babylon 5 Season 4 (6 DVDs)
  • Babylon 5 Season 5 (6 DVDs)
  • Babylon 5 Season Movie Collection (The Gathering (remix), In the Beginning, Thirdspace, The River of Souls, A Call to Arms, 5 DVDs)
  • Crusade (4 DVDs)
  • Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers (To Live and Die in Starlight, single DVD)
  • Babylon 5 - The Lost Tales (single DVD)
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th 08, 15:46   #43
Jade Jaguar
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshN View Post
It means that it's sufficiently real to us to remember it this way, by date, and that dates matter.
It also means that it was written in such a coherent and detailed manner, that remembering it by dates is possible.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th 08, 16:29   #44
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Mostly. As long as you overlook G'Kar's ever-shrinking jail sentence.

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th 08, 18:55   #45
GaribaldisHair
First One

Time off for good behaviour?

Galacid ... you don't say where you are, but IIRC the Complete Universe set was indeed not only an Amazon but specifically an Amazon UK exclusive never available elsewhere.

If you are in the UK, the one thing you need to bear in mind is that the UK (or maybe whole R2) movie boxset only included Thirdspace, The River of Souls and A Call To Arms, whilst the US/R1 release included all 5 (i.e. the Gathering and In The Beginning as well) all with commentary. Many UKers (myself included) bought the R1 set instead for exactly that reason.

The good thing, from your point of view is that the DVD sets were released several years ago, and now retail for much less than they did back then ... according to Amazon UK:

Seasons 1-5: 11.98 each
Crusade: 12.98
Legend Of The Rangers: 4.98
Lost Tales: 4.98
R1 Movies: $47.99 (around 33.00)

That is clearly more expensive than the Complete Universe but, most importantly, the UK site currently shows them all as being In Stock.

Play.com has them at the same prices (bar Crusade at 9.99 but out of stock).

Happy hunting.

Cake or death?

Last edited by GaribaldisHair; December 27th 08 at 18:57.
GaribaldisHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th 08, 15:04   #46
Galacid
Lurker

Thanks guys but i think i have found it at www.sendit.com

Hope it is that same one however it is 15 more expensive!
Galacid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st 08, 16:28   #47
Elric
Ambassador

I've not posted here for a while and thought I'd chip in with this. After watching the JMS prefered order a few times I noticed a few discrepancies (mainly involving when Lochly meets Giddeon). So, I just shuffled the order of a few episodes as follows:

War Zone
Racing the Night
The Needs of Earth
The Memory of War
The Long Road
Visitors from Down the Street
The Well of Forever
Patterns of the Soul
Ruling from the Tomb (this is when Lochly & Gideon first meet each other)
The Path of Sorrows
Each Night I Dream of Home (their second meet up)
The Rules of the Game (their third get-together)
Appearances and Other Deceits

There are only a few changes but I think it makes more sense this way.
Old February 25th 09, 23:23   #48
Urban Roy
Lurker

Just wanted to say thanks so much for this thread. In particular for the steer not to watch In The Beginning first (which was my first instinct) and for the comprehensive viewing orders.

My Complete Babylon 5 from Amazon was waiting for me when I got in from work this evening (which, as an aside, is gorgeous, but that is probably for a different board). Even though I was expecting it I was a little overwhelmed by the mix of movies and series and wasn't quite sure where to start but this has cleared it up. Look forward to coming back to discuss the actual episodes once I have started to watch...
Old February 26th 09, 00:33   #49
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Roy View Post
Just wanted to say thanks so much for this thread. In particular for the steer not to watch In The Beginning first (which was my first instinct) and for the comprehensive viewing orders.

My Complete Babylon 5 from Amazon was waiting for me when I got in from work this evening (which, as an aside, is gorgeous, but that is probably for a different board). Even though I was expecting it I was a little overwhelmed by the mix of movies and series and wasn't quite sure where to start but this has cleared it up. Look forward to coming back to discuss the actual episodes once I have started to watch...
Oooh...will this be your first watch of the series? How exciting, definitely share your thoughts along the way so we can live vicariously through you.

Sometimes I look forward to getting old and forgetful, just so I can experience B5 again for the first time
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th 09, 02:05   #50
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Roy View Post
My Complete Babylon 5 from Amazon was waiting for me when I got in from work this evening (which, as an aside, is gorgeous, but that is probably for a different board).
First things first, check that none of the discs are loose and/or scratched. You want to get this cleared up now, rather than discovering it as you come across the discs as you watch the show (possibly outside of any exchange period you may have.). Check every disc, and re-seat it properly on the hub. Hopefully, your set will be in better packaging (better hubs; softer, less scratchy plastic). I transferred my B5 S1-S5, and the movie set to better cases. The Crusade set packaging is OK, as well as B5-LotR and B5-TLT.

Babylon 5 Seasons 1 thru 5 and the movie set had chronic loose/scratched disc problems here in the US. Those sets use a passive (no moving parts) friction fit hub of hard, brittle plastic, and the disc will either not be properly seated on the hub during assembly of the sets, or come loose in shipping. Then the disc rocks back and forth on the ring of plastic surrounding the disc while the hub scratches arcs in the read area of the disc, pretty much in the direction of disc rotation (worst possible kind of scratch, naturally. ). You will need to exchange these discs within whatever exchange period the vendor allows, or you'll have to go the Warner to get it done.

Don't go for an exchange of the entire set, because any new set you get will likely have loose/scratched discs, too. In one set I made for a friend here in the US, 8 of the 40 discs were scratched (He got everything but the Rangers pilot. If you got all of B5 & Crusade, you'd have 41 discs.). I exchanged the bad discs before I left the store.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote