• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5:TLT Actual DISCUSSION Thread

Re: Actual B5:TLT News

No, we're talking about Whedon's desire to manipulate the audience's perception of his characters.

We are? I thought we were talking about how Joss himself felt about B5. And anyways, his other geeky references were certainly affectionate, especially for Star Wars -- heck, even Spike used one, and he's no geek -- so while it's certainly not conclusive, I don't see any reason to believe Joss has an axe to grind with Babylon 5.

Isn't all of this getting rather far afield of Actual B5:TLT News?

Like this thread hasn't wandered away from its designated title before?

Yeah, but I think that this discussion is now only peripherally touching on B5, forget about TLT. I invite anyone who'd like to start a thread on the philosophy of how aliens should be portrayed in visual SF to do so in the appropriate forum.

I really would prefer to keep this thread at least within the ambit of its original purpose. Muppets vs. CGI ain't there.

Regards,

Joe

Isn't all of this getting rather far afield of Actual B5:TLT News?
Hey, I tried to offer up something vaguely on topic looking. :p

Ok, how about those "number of original short pieces that will be filmed in February which feature glimpses into the future of Babylon 5 and her characters" that JMS mentioned in the scripts mailing list update? I think I'm one of the few I've seen being excited about it, which kind of surprised me, since I think they sound pretty interesting. Anyone care to offer any speculation of what they may be?

I think Joe suggested promos somewhere, but that didn't quite ring true to me. But I have no idea what else it might be. Maybe something that in form has something of what the BBC did with the tardisodes for the second new Doctor Who season? I'm not talking about the distribution method here, which was via website and mobile phone, but only the form. Which was short one minute episodes that served as a side story for one episode each, either teasing, or elaborating on something, and usually telling a really short story or giving a vignette connected in some way with the main story for the coming week. Some were more elaborate than others, and the poorer ones did feel like slightly elaborate trailers only, but the idea was pretty neat, and there is some pretty decent original stuff for a Who fan in the 13 minutes they produced.

If they would do something like that as a DVD extra, I think it would be pretty neat. It's an interesting format to work with, these super short television stories, and with the way the B5 universe has been build up and worked out, it could be an interesting fit to do something like that. Since there is a lot of little things available in the B5 universe you could offer a glimpse off in something like this. If that is indeed what they're doing.

I thnk someone suggested earlier that they might be akin to the character interviews that the Sci-Fi Channel hosted for the Rangers pilot. ISN interview clips with Sheridan and Lochley from the time of "Voices" would naturally touch on things that happened during the 10 years since the founding of the Alliance, which is "the future" from the standpoint of "Objects at Rest" and would also give some insight into future Lost Tales.

Regards,

Joe

That could be interesting, in-story interviews. Although I have a feeling, based on nothing substantial really, that these won't necessarily feature the main actors of the two main Voices episodes. Since it would mean getting them up in Canada again for February, and that they might want to avoid that, and they might've made sure that everything that needed them would be shot in the original shooting period in November. Which is why I thought tardisode type vignettes might be likely; since they don't necessarily have to feature the main cast. But like I said, a feeling not really based on anything. [edit]And he did say "feature glimpses into the future of ... characters", so I could very well be wrong here.[/edit]

And I've never heard about these LotR character interviews before, and I wouldn't mind seeing them. They sound like something that would've been a good candidate for an extra on the LotR DVD, really. But then, WBHV didn't really do much of anything with the LotR DVD, not even including the 5.1 mix that apparently was delivered to WB at some point. I don't suppose there is any way to check them out at this point? The original SciFi website still seems to be up, and... ok, I found them. :) They don't really load very happily in either IE or Firefox, but just loading the vids directly (Martel,Tirk,Sasaki,G'Kar), seems to work. Having never seen them, these are pretty damn neat, and seem to work in well with the heavy focus the show would've had on covert ops I think (from what I remember reading in an interview or usenet post by JMS).

Last edited:

Speaking for myself, if I haven't been jumping up and down over the idea of additional, potentially-one-minute-long adjunct content, it's because I'm primarily interested in stories. Yes, certainly, when Rangers came out and I had a little one-minute extra snippet of Andreas, I was delighted, but I also could have lived without it. I love Babylon 5 for the stories: not the color of the jumpgates, not the varieties of ship, not the political structure of the various alien governments, etc. etc. So adjunct materials are always just of peripheral interest to me, particularly adjunct materials that are set "in universe" (meaning, I'm generally more interested in something like a featurette showing how the Narn makeup was created, or how they painted the sets, etc. etc., rather than a two-minute teaser for what might occur in the next installment of TLT, if any).

It's also why I'm not jumping up and down over TLT, in fact. I'm sure I'll love the material and that it'll be great fun seeing the old gang again, but the short format concerns me. I think one of Joe's greatest strengths as a writer is long format, episodic sort of storytelling. Like B5, like comics. For that reason, I'm actually really glad that this first disc is going to be two longer stories rather than three shorter ones. I just think that the longer format serves his style better.

Speaking for myself, if I haven't been jumping up and down over the idea of additional, potentially-one-minute-long adjunct content, it's because I'm primarily interested in stories. Yes, certainly, when Rangers came out and I had a little one-minute extra snippet of Andreas, I was delighted, but I also could have lived without it. I love Babylon 5 for the stories: not the color of the jumpgates, not the varieties of ship, not the political structure of the various alien governments, etc. etc. So adjunct materials are always just of peripheral interest to me, particularly adjunct materials that are set "in universe" (meaning, I'm generally more interested in something like a featurette showing how the Narn makeup was created, or how they painted the sets, etc. etc., rather than a two-minute teaser for what might occur in the next installment of TLT, if any).

It's also why I'm not jumping up and down over TLT, in fact. I'm sure I'll love the material and that it'll be great fun seeing the old gang again, but the short format concerns me. I think one of Joe's greatest strengths as a writer is long format, episodic sort of storytelling. Like B5, like comics. For that reason, I'm actually really glad that this first disc is going to be two longer stories rather than three shorter ones. I just think that the longer format serves his style better.

I see your point. I can see him using the format to create a longer set of stories out of these smaller ones though.

The closest thing to an anthology I've seen (or rather, heard) from JMS is this anthology radio show called City of Dreams done for SciFi, and I thought at least some of those were really neat. They very much felt like standalone short stories, and not really episodic (if by episodic you mean one big story split up over multiple episodes, to give stories a bigger canvas to work on, as with his comic and B5 work). So I think he can do more than one style. But having said that, his long format work on B5's five seasons is pretty much why I fell in love with the show, and he absolutely does it well. Haven't seen any of his TZ stuff though.

As for only liking stories, I think that's where I really have a fundamental difference in opinion, in that I feel that this adjunct content you could've lived without can actually add to the overall storytelling, and tell its own little story that can still work if done right. Where you say that things like the political structure of B5's societies is not why you like the show, I think I know where you're coming from. To me however, the detail with which all these different elements of the universe have been worked out do add to my enjoyment of the franchise, and I definitely would get something out of something in short format focusing on any of it. If done well, that is. And one of the things that would make it done well to me is if it does tell a story, however short it may be, and I do think it can do that. I thought the short of Martel for instance managed to show in a very brief segment the general tone of his post TLaDiS debriefing, and that the story of his debriefing and him choosing to remain silent is something that both added something to the LotR story, and managed to work in the short format.

And with TLT main episodes, I think he may go for the quilt approach. Doing what are standalone stories, yet at the same time stitching them slowly together to be part of a bigger whole. We already know he wants discs to be thematically linked, and we know that Voices' two episodes will have links timeframe wise, setting wise, and with plot points and the Galen character overlapping. And we know Voices will have links to "the future and the distant past", and that future TLT stories will start tackling the Teep War, suggesting JMS is not afraid to weave in his anthology into the bigger tapestry of these big sweeping stories and events of the B5 universe. So if this becomes a continuing thing, I think he may very well have his short little quilt patches build up into a bigger whole. I suppose I could just ask him if this is so, but I have a feeling this is one of those questions he won't answer at this point. :)

The closest thing to an anthology I've seen (or rather, heard) from JMS is this anthology radio show called City of Dreams done for SciFi, and I thought at least some of those were really neat. They very much felt like standalone short stories, and not really episodic (if by episodic you mean one big story split up over multiple episodes, to give stories a bigger canvas to work on, as with his comic and B5 work). So I think he can do more than one style.

Well, just to be clear, this was an informed opinion on my part. I've read JMS's short stories, seen a couple of the TZs, and I just don't think that his short form work is up to the same level as his arc and long-form work. So, certainly, he can do more than one style, but how well he does it is obviously a matter of opinion.

As for only liking stories, I think that's where I really have a fundamental difference in opinion, in that I feel that this adjunct content you could've lived without can actually add to the overall storytelling, and tell its own little story that can still work if done right. Where you say that things like the political structure of B5's societies is not why you like the show, I think I know where you're coming from.

Again, I feel a need to clarify. It's not that I only like stories (I'm not even sure what to make of that statement); it's just that the story is the main reason I enjoy Babylon 5. And that last sentence is deceptively not what I said, either. I certainly do enjoy the political intrigue, which is an integral part of B5; what I was trying to say (and obviously failed) is that I don't watch the show because I am keenly interested in, say, the hierarchical structure of Drazi society, or the four hundred and thirteen steps required for a family to become a 'house' in Centauri social structure, or any other sort of 'propellorhead' type of interest like that.

And one of the things that would make it done well to me is if it does tell a story, however short it may be, and I do think it can do that. I thought the short of Martel for instance managed to show in a very brief segment the general tone of his post TLaDiS debriefing, and that the story of his debriefing and him choosing to remain silent is something that both added something to the LotR story, and managed to work in the short format.

As long as this adjunct material isn't required viewing, I have no objection to it. I don't really like the current trend towards 'vertical integration' storytelling, where there's a whole bunch of background information in the comic, or in an easter egg that you can get with the video game (assuming you have a game console, and it's the right platform), or as an online viral game, or as an AOL video that they'll send straight to your phone, assuming you have AOL and a video-capable phone. I want my tv viewing to be a complete experience in and of itself.

It's something that's really spoiled the "Lost" viewing experience for me. Well, that and the crap writing these past couple of seasons. :)

AnlaShokGrey said:
Well, just to be clear, this was an informed opinion on my part. I've read JMS's short stories, seen a couple of the TZs, and I just don't think that his short form work is up to the same level as his arc and long-form work. So, certainly, he can do more than one style, but how well he does it is obviously a matter of opinion.
Fair enough, and I didn't mean to imply that your opinion was uninformed while I was stating what was informing mine. :)

So, what did you think of my quilt metaphor? Do you think that could happen, and do you think it would work better with his talents and your tastes if that's indeed what he ends up doing?

Again, I feel a need to clarify. It's not that I only like stories (I'm not even sure what to make of that statement); it's just that the story is the main reason I enjoy Babylon 5. And that last sentence is deceptively not what I said, either. I certainly do enjoy the political intrigue, which is an integral part of B5; what I was trying to say (and obviously failed) is that I don't watch the show because I am keenly interested in, say, the hierarchical structure of Drazi society, or the four hundred and thirteen steps required for a family to become a 'house' in Centauri social structure, or any other sort of 'propellorhead' type of interest like that.
Sorry for mis-paraphrasing. Although with this clarification, I do think I previously got what you were saying, so your previous post was plenty clear. Just me mangling the wording there, apparently. What I thought you were saying when I paraphrased with "only liking stories", was more the implication in negative of that, that I thought you were saying that you weren't jumping over these shorts because they aren't really stories. "if I haven't been jumping up and down over the idea of additional, potentially-one-minute-long adjunct content, it's because I'm primarily interested in stories". That they either couldn't be stories, or that the story content likely wouldn't be compelling enough to qualify as a proper story for you.

And my counterpoint to that was that I thought it could appeal to at least the side of me that also is primarily interested in story, since it can both enhance the bigger stories in the main episodes, and that I thought it was possible to at the same time tell a small but still interesting story in a short format. And that as far as the propeller head stuff goes (if that is what the subject matter ends up being, which I don't think is a given), that I personally would still get something out of it. But only if it was done right, which would for me include some story type framework, which, again, I think is possible. I got something out of the tardisodes, and out of those LotR things, so for me at least, it could be made to work.

Although, was it really that deceptive to paraphrase "I love Babylon 5 for the stories ... not the political structure of the various alien governments" with "the political structure of B5's societies is not why you like the show"?
As long as this adjunct material isn't required viewing, I have no objection to it. I don't really like the current trend towards 'vertical integration' storytelling, where there's a whole bunch of background information in the comic, or in an easter egg that you can get with the video game (assuming you have a game console, and it's the right platform), or as an online viral game, or as an AOL video that they'll send straight to your phone, assuming you have AOL and a video-capable phone. I want my tv viewing to be a complete experience in and of itself.
Well, that's something different than just having issues with the short story format, isn't it? And there is of course an other side to it, which is that if I do get the comic, and play the video game, and read the website, I do want stuff to fit together and to get more out of something than someone who didn't bother with those. I really think it's a balancing act.

To use the new Doctor Who as an example again, that went really heavy on the "vertical storytelling" you mentioned, with the mobile/web mini episodes, and a whole network of in-universe websites, and web games, and in-universe character blogs. To me that just was a ton of fun, and I know most Who fans I've seen online and talked to really enjoyed those things too. It proved to me at least that it could work, both add something to the main television experience, and create something that could hold your interest by itself at times. Just watching the episodes on the beeb every Saturday would still give you a full experience, you just got... more out of the experience as a fan if you did follow along with the side stuff. In fact, my only sort of complaint about it was that they didn't quite do a full blown ARG, and that they actually could've gone further with the web side of things.

I totally agree with you that I wouldn't want them to make these things "required viewing", but at the same time I would want to go "ok, this added to my experience" after I do decide to get the extra stuff. I think you can do both at the same time. Although this is of course a bit of a hypothetical discussion as far as TLT is concerned, since we don't know how the shorts will be distributed, and it could just as likely still be DVD extras. :)

As for Lost, I really should get around to watching my DVDs of it. Damn things have been gathering dust on my growing "to watch" pile with a bunch of other things. Been playing too many of those video games you mentioned in my free time, actually. ;)

To use the new Doctor Who as an example again, that went really heavy on the "vertical storytelling" you mentioned, with the mobile/web mini episodes, and a whole network of in-universe websites, and web games, and in-universe character blogs. To me that just was a ton of fun, and I know most Who fans I've seen online and talked to really enjoyed those things too. It proved to me at least that it could work, both add something to the main television experience, and create something that could hold your interest by itself at times. Just watching the episodes on the beeb every Saturday would still give you a full experience, you just got... more out of the experience as a fan if you did follow along with the side stuff. In fact, my only sort of complaint about it was that they didn't quite do a full blown ARG, and that they actually could've gone further with the web side of things.

I totally agree with you that I wouldn't want them to make these things "required viewing", but at the same time I would want to go "ok, this added to my experience" after I do decide to get the extra stuff. I think you can do both at the same time. Although this is of course a bit of a hypothetical discussion as far as TLT is concerned, since we don't know how the shorts will be distributed, and it could just as likely still be DVD extras. :)

As for Lost, I really should get around to watching my DVDs of it. Damn things have been gathering dust on my growing "to watch" pile with a bunch of other things. Been playing too many of those video games you mentioned in my free time, actually. ;)

You've hit the nail on the head there ... the tardisodes and other things were bonus material, over and above the complete story experience you can gain by watching the episodes. You do not lose out on anything (except a little extra fun) by not getting involved in that.

The alternative (Lost, for example) is that those bonus bits are part of the story, so those who do not (or cannot) get involved in them are missing pieces of the jigsaw - such as (as I understand it) the explanation for the numbers in Lost, which has been laid out officially on the web but has never been shown on screen.

Fair enough, and I didn't mean to imply that your opinion was uninformed while I was stating what was informing mine. :)

Okay, I didn't think you were -- I just didn't want this to be seen as a case of yet another JMS fan who doesn't think anything but original B5 is acceptable, when they've never even sampled his other stuff. (That kind of fan is the diametric opposite from the ones who say "Anything JMS does must be good! Because JMS is Godddddd!!!!!!") The man's an artist, like any other, and I judge each work on their own merits.

So, what did you think of my quilt metaphor? Do you think that could happen, and do you think it would work better with his talents and your tastes if that's indeed what he ends up doing?

I think it could be what he's planning, but of course it remains to be seen. As for whether or not that will work well and will play off of what I see as his greatest strengths, I guess that also remains to be seen, and I'll have to reserve judgement until there's some actual material to be judged! It's very different writing a five-year arc that gets a new installment (theoretically) every week than it is writing piecemeal episodes that come in twos and threes at unspecified intervals. I don't think you can have the same sort of continuity, because the consistency of most of the audience will vary (obviously not counting diehard B5 fans, which will not be the only audience he's writing for).

Sorry for mis-paraphrasing. Although with this clarification, I do think I previously got what you were saying, so your previous post was plenty clear. Just me mangling the wording there, apparently.

Nah, I think you got it, but I was concerned more about me not being clear in my own expression. Sorry.

And my counterpoint to that was that I thought it could appeal to at least the side of me that also is primarily interested in story, since it can both enhance the bigger stories in the main episodes, and that I thought it was possible to at the same time tell a small but still interesting story in a short format.

Well, it certainly is possible, but as I mentioned I'm a bit perturbed at this idea that the story -- all of the story -- cannot be fit into the actual television (or DVD in this case) production. I dislike the idea that we have to go hunting around to 'complete' the story, and I also dislike the idea that we have to have small, digestible lumps of story to entice the attention span-challenged viewer.

And that as far as the propeller head stuff goes (if that is what the subject matter ends up being, which I don't think is a given), that I personally would still get something out of it.

:) Chacun à son goût!

Although, was it really that deceptive to paraphrase "I love Babylon 5 for the stories ... not the political structure of the various alien governments" with "the political structure of B5's societies is not why you like the show"?

No, again, it was more a case of me thinking that my own expression wasn't really clear -- sorry. When you repeated it back to me, it almost sounded like I don't enjoy the political wranglings of the show, and I wanted to clarify that.

In fact, my only sort of complaint about it was that they didn't quite do a full blown ARG, and that they actually could've gone further with the web side of things.

Maybe it's an age difference sort of thing. I don't want to have to chase down my television content all over the place, and I'm offended that if they have this additional, good quality material, that they didn't put it in the show itself!

Amy

It's something that's really spoiled the "Lost" viewing experience for me. Well, that and the crap writing these past couple of seasons. :)

I actually don't believe all the peripheral LOST stuff is required. I don't visit any of those sites (other than the ABC message board) and I feel I am no less knowledgeable than any other viewer. I happen to agree, that whatever is neccessary for understanding the arc, needs to be on the TV screen, any books, games, whatever, should just be extra stuff outside the arc. In the case of LOST though, I think the peripheral stuff is all just fog and wild goose chases, almost none of it has come to pass so far. I know of Ethan Rom=Other Man, and then there was on the oceanic site, a reference to a traitor, who came to the forefront at the end of S2. None of that other stuff seems to be of any importance, and even those two pieces came about in the natural arc.

So, for the B5, I agree, I hope it remains the same, it's there for those who want it, and it does mean something, but, not something that others will be ignorant of just by watching the stories.

and I'm offended that if they have this additional, good quality material, that they didn't put it in the show itself!
Well, almost *every* TV has some good quality character moments that don't make it into the show itself. You can see them under the "Deleted Scenes" heading in the DVD extras. Clearly not anything like all of the deleted scenes are things that are all that good. In fact I think that you can generally look at those scenes and see why they were left out. However, there are always a couple / few that are really nice moments that were cut *only* because of the absolute hard requirement to deliver the episode with a length of exactly 42 minutes (or whatever) and not a second more.

Such as in Firefly: one of the funniest scenes they filmed got the axe, alas, but it's viewable on the DVD. As is Adam Baldwin singing "The Hero of Canton," if you know where to look.

*votes to start a new thread relating to only actual NEWS for B5:TLT*

Maybe copy/paste all posts from this thread that are actually news content related? This one has turned into a general B5, with some non-b5 Joss Whedon talk thrown in. If anyone dares post news here its gonna get lost in the chaos...

Perhaps rename this thread to B5:TLT Discussion thread, and open a new news thread with the news posts?

Actually, one board I go to has two threads:

"News about [the topic of the messageboard]"

"Discussions of the news"

It really is a brilliant way to organize things. For those wanting to read all of the chit-chat about the news, there's a whole thread for that.

For those who want to know at a glance if there is any new info (like me, sometimes) you just look at the last post date in the "News" thread.

Mistakes are made, and moderators politely correct the newcomers who post chat in the "news" thread. But it really works quite well.

Just food for thought. :)

What Hyp and Recoil said. I've seen this in image threads as well, with one for the images, and one for all the comments on the images.

Seperation of content types is very useful for those just wanting the news.

Not that this discussion is not great of course, it just probably belongs elsewhere.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back