• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5:TLT Actual DISCUSSION Thread

Re: Actual B5:TLT News

Ah, thanks AMS. But I only have one t.v.

Having a portable one would be handy, though. When I've gotten my medical bills under control, I'll go shopping and check them out.

I hope they have good July 4th sales. ;)

Thanks for the advice.

Obviously they're only going to do that if they think they can increase sales so much by doing so that the added profits will more than off-set the cost of running the ads. I, for one, do not believe that enough extra people are going to buy the disc because of an advertisment on CSI or Desperate Housewives to remotely cover the cost of the ad. (Which on those shows could exceed the budget for the movie.) Be realistic. WB is not going to to blow that kind of money just to satisfy B5 fans who want to see a "prestige" ad campaign and proof that "the studios are finally taking SF seriously". They aren't going to do it, and they shouldn't. I'd much rather they run 10 ads during Battlestar Galactica than one during a primetime network show watched by millions of people who would never buy an SF DVD. The one current primetime hit that [ijmight[/i] be worth a gamble is Heroes, since that has a big comic book geek demo who might not really know from B5 (given how long its been off the air) but for whom the name Straczynski mighr ring a bell.

Not everybody has cable, and wouldn't you want to try to reach outside the comic book geek demo to a wider audience? It wouldn't have to be on during CSI or Desperate Housewives, not that big a hit. How about a 15 second spot during NCIS (ad. rates probably too high, though), Ghost Whisperer, How I Met Your Mother, NUMB3RS or The Class (if it doesn't get cancelled)? Those shows might have an audience that also likes sci-fi or at least don't command CSI level ad. rates.

Again, I'm not sure that they're going to do TV advertising at all, and am also not sure how much would be aimed at "the general public" as opposed to "put out where non-B5 SF fans might see it." :) I'm thinking websites, magazines, maybe a bonus preview disc included with the existing B5-related DVDs. (I'd be all over that idea.)

I'm just looking for ways to cast a wider net :), to reach people who are outside the established SF fan group, in the interest of making more SF fans and more B5 fans. Sure, there are knee-jerk "I-Hate-All SF-And-You're-Never-Going-To-Convert-Me" people in the general audience, but there are also people who might be intrigued by a SF ad., and without something out there exposing it to the general public, how will they ever know about it? I mean, if we don't cast a wider net now and then, aren't we just shunning the general audience? Also, internet people like us are also another tiny group. If an ad. for an SF show airs on a broadcast channel, and two people are sitting there watching it, one general audience person (but not a knee-jerk SF hater) and one SF fan, and the SF fan shows genuine but not fanatical interest, don't you think the other person might be intrigued, and maybe think "What am I missing?" For that, the Voices in the Dark DVD, which focuses more on the humans might be a good fit.

A bonus preview disc? What would be on it? Teasers for where they want to go with upcoming B5:TLT DVDs?

Finally I again direct your attention to the question of WB hooking up with a TV partner. If they do that will affect the timing of the release, the advertising and the prospects of reruns of the original show returning to TV. All of that would change the entire picture as now there would be more room for cross-promotion, etc. But we are so far from all of this that speculation is really pointless, except to the degree it let's people vent.

I'll give some thought to the stick idea although it will probably have to wait until WB actually does something, which so far, they haven't.

Stick idea??? :confused:

In any case, from what I've seen Wal-Mart has always carried the various B5 titles. (I think I picked up my copy of the Rangers pilot there.)

Wal-Mart's where I got my Rangers disc as well. Yeah, I got a Rangers disc. I'm a completest. :eek:

On the subject of the production timeline for future disks, which someone asked about a few pages back, here's a quote from a JMS posting on October 26th:

"And if the sales are anywhere near what WB expects, and I think they
will be, there's no question that there will be more of these down the
road."

I think the implication of that is that, while it's *expected* that there will be more disks, they're going to wait until they see sales numbers on disk 1 to commit themselves. Of course, the could make the decision as soon as they see numbers on advance orders. But it doesn't look like they'll put another one into production before that.

KoshN with a Rangers disk !!! That must have been torturous for you to buy... :)

I hope you got it cheap...

As ironic as this sounds, this is why I have a slim bit of doubt about B5:TLT. I also own the Rangers DVD because I simply have no desire to. As a stand-alone movie (which is what it remains) it just wasn't that good, and frankly was quite painful in some places. That is the last B5 project any of us have seen, so I really hope this new project turns out better.

I'm just looking for ways to cast a wider net , to reach people who are outside the established SF fan group, in the interest of making more SF fans and more B5 fans.

Somehow I don't think the marketing guys at Warner Home Video see their mission as bringing more fans into the SF community. :) Nor do I see how a mere ad for an SF show you've never heard or only vaguely heard of is supposed to entice you into a) checking it out and b) becoming an SF fan thereafter.

Let me once again draw your attention to the planet Earth. The guy in charge of marketing the Corvette is not in the business of getting more grandmothers to buy sports cars to increase the sports-car-buying public. He's in the business of getting a bigger share of the sports-car buying public to buy his Corvette instead of a BMW or a Mustang or a what-have-you.

Almost every SF fan out there discovered the genre because a book or magazine cover grabbed their eye, or because they saw some old movie on TV, or because a friend talked them into reading or watching something. (Or simply because they fell in love with books or movies and read and watched everything they could get their hands on, SF being just one of many genres they develooped a fondness for.) This is a system that has worked very well for hundreds of years. Why do you want to mess with it? :) As far as I know there isn't a single documented case of anyone going from zero-to-SF-geek because one commercial got them to watch one DVD or TV movie.

I'm also prepared to dispute the degree to which there is a significant overlap between SF fans and fans of Numbers and The Ghost Whisperer. Despite the science angle, Numbers remains mostly a police procedural. And the two main reasons most guys watch The Ghost Whisperer only suggest an SF angle if you're prepared to consider the possibility of genetic mutation. ;)

Stick idea??? :confused:

"...sticky idea..." It was a typo. :) You asked about making a sticky thread for news updates.

Regards,

Joe

As ironic as this sounds, this is why I have a slim bit of doubt about B5:TLT. I also own the Rangers DVD because I simply have no desire to. As a stand-alone movie (which is what it remains) it just wasn't that good, and frankly was quite painful in some places. That is the last B5 project any of us have seen, so I really hope this new project turns out better.

<engage rant mode> Oh, puh-LEEZ...look at the math. Count how many hours of B5 you enjoyed, liked or loved. Now look at how many hours weren't to your taste. Now, then...what was that about doubt? Don't you think it's just the tiniest bit insulting to do the hand-wringing thing already about something you haven't seen when the ratio to liked/disliked is so overwhelmingly in favor of liked?

This isn't directed at you in particular, Recoil, it's just an overflow of annoyance after seeing many of the same sort of posts when TMoS was on the books and now for TLT.

How about everybody just a) realize that it's going to be different from what you're used to so try going in with an open mind, b) understand that you might or might not like something but that doesn't make it 'bad', simply not to your taste and c) get it through your heads that your taste isn't universal and that it doesn't have to be statee every single time a particular title is mentioned...unless you want people to avoid your broken-record posts, that is. </rant>

I can't be the only one who's noticed that a lot of Season Five and onward is experimental, JMS stretching and playing a bit, can I? As JMS has said, the story is told, anything else is lagniappe so why *not* play with things a bit? Why keep everything the way it's comfortable? If you want the same old thing, maybe you should just ignore TLT and stick to replaying your DVDs.

Jan

Isn't that a wee bit of an over reaction? I mean, I have my own theories why LotR failed story wise, and why those failures will or will not be able to carry over to TLT, and personally I think that if TLT has problems in the writing department, they will be of a different nature then those in the LotR pilot. But I can understand why people are a bit apprehensive after a bit of shaky final season, and a shakier spinoff, and then a really shaky pilot. We all know the various production difficulties that went on behind the scenes, I assume, but despite that those are still pretty logical places to look at to answer the question if the B5 universe still has anything interesting to offer. And I really can't fault people for doing that, only offer my own opinions on any of the points they make, which may or may not contrast with theirs.

As for experimental; I really don't think most faults in LotR were because of that, and I don't think it is right to accuse people of only wanting comfortable storytelling based on their dislike of the pilot. I suppose the tv movies and some of the off format S5 and Crusade episodes had some experimenting in them, but if you choose to experiment you run the risk of failure, and if you point any of those out then I'm not sure you necessarily have to reject the entire idea of experimentation. It's perfectly possible to dislike specific instances of failed experimentation, and still liking the overall concept of trying new things, I think.

Isn't that a wee bit of an over reaction?

Not particularly. I've been reading the whining and hand-wringing and doubts for at least 5 years now. I think it's more than past time for a bit of a rant.

Jan

This isn't TLT news, but I didn't know where else to put this where people seeking "new" news might look.

As always, from the moderated group:

Shabaz wrote:
> I was browsing around a bit on the IMDB, and on your personal page
> http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0833089/ I saw that it has you listed as
> writing an adaptation of Max Brooks's World War Z for 2008. With IMDB's
> reputation for not always being entirely accurate, I suppose the first
> question should be, is this true? And if so, is there anything you want
> or can tell us about this project?

There's nothing I can say about it at this time.

jms

Now, does an "adaptation" mean a possible pilot for a series or a possible film deal?

More secrets and mysteries. :)

Now, does an "adaptation" mean a possible pilot for a series or a possible film deal?

Movie, according to IMDb. And it does match with JMS saying that one of his projects was with Brad Pitt's Plan B production company.

Jan

Not particularly. I've been reading the whining and hand-wringing and doubts for at least 5 years now. I think it's more than past time for a bit of a rant.

Jan
Well, I know you said it wasn't targeted at Recoil in particular, but I thought his post was pretty mild and not expressed in any way something I would qualify as insulting hand wringing, in tiny bits or otherwise. It's perfectly natural to have both hopes and doubts, I think, and unless you phrase it as "this will suck, because LotR sucked, period" or something like that, I don't think there is anything wrong with expressing it. I mean, saying he has a "slim bit of doubt", and just hopes it is better than LotR is just about as far away you can get from people who go around stating their personal tastes as universal fact, and I thought it was kind of odd that it set you off.
This isn't TLT news, but I didn't know where else to put this where people seeking "new" news might look.

As always, from the moderated group:

Pretty sure it is supposed to be a feature film adaptation. And I guess with that answer there is some truth to the IMDB listing, otherwise he would've been able to flat out deny it. But whether he is merely been approached or maybe negotiating, or if has actually signed on, is of course impossible to tell.

Well, I know you said it wasn't targeted at Recoil in particular, but I thought his post was pretty mild and not expressed in any way something I would qualify as insulting hand wringing, in tiny bits or otherwise.
Yes, I said that it wasn't targeted at Recoil and that's exactly what I meant. It was, however, triggered by Recoil's post as I just happened to be in the mood for a good rant tonight. When you've seen posts over several forums with the same 'Oh, I didn't like the last thing he did so I hope this new thing won't suck' posts over a period of time, eventually one simply gets sick and tired of it.

Jan

I'm just looking for ways to cast a wider net :), to reach people who are outside the established SF fan group, in the interest of making more SF fans and more B5 fans.

Try the History channel. Babylon 5 is science fiction and future history. Many historians post to the various newsgroups. Modern "classical" music fans may also be interested.

Placing an advert during say Doctor Who (Sci-Fi and BBCA) may generate a few sales.

There were Serenity adverts where I didn't expect them (namely, on TV channels that weren't SciFi). Not many, but they were there. TLT's kind of a different animal, though.

By itself the word "adapation" could mean either. You can have a TV series based on material from a book or a play (or a movie) just as you can have a movie adapted from that same (including movies adapted from TV shows.) Think The Odd Couple, M*A*S*H, practically everything that ever aired on Masterpiece Theater. :)

Anyway, to quote myself from the mod ;) :

Of course, thanks to JMS we understand the strictures of Hollywood protocol and contracts and understand why he sometimes cannot respond to certain questions or confirm certain information. Therefore I offer the following merely as interesting facts.

For those not familiar with "World War Z" (I wasn't until a moment ago), it is a novel in the form of a future history: Specifically it is an oral history of the Zombie War, when the Human race was almost wiped out by Zombies. The author assumes the pose of someone collecting eye-witness accounts of some of the major periods and events of the war.

According to the IMDB (not always a reliable source) the book was optioned before it was even published after a bidding war between production companies owned by Brad Pitt and Leondardo DiCaprio.

JMS on the moderated newsgroup, Dec 12 2006

> This week the outline for the film I'm writing for Paramount will be turned in to the studio. I'm still waiting for the PR department to announce the project so I can't yet identify it. I can say though that it's for Brad Pitt's Plan B productions. <

JMS responds to a fan's question about which version of "Night of the Living Dead" is in his video collection, which he recently posted to this newsgroup.

> > "Night Of The Living Dead"
> 1968 and 1990?

> Every iteration of every zombie film Romero has ever made. Every new release, new recut, or dvd with additional features. I'm a sucker for zombie movies. -- jms, Jan 1 2007 <

So.

JMS, who is a sucker for zombie movies, is rumored to be adapting a zombie novel for the big screen.

The same zombie novel is rumored to have been acquired in a bidding war by Paramount for Brad Pitt's Plan B Productions.

JMS has already mentioned that he is writing a script for Paramount that will be produced through Brad Pitt's Plan B Productions, but he can't discuss it because it hasn't been officially announced yet.

I think Mr. Schroedinger over at the Paramount PR department needs to check his bag. :)

As Jan put it on the newsgroup, he didn't say anything then and he's not saying anything now. :D

Regards,

Joe

This isn't TLT news, but I didn't know where else to put this where people seeking "new" news might look

I think "B5 Personnel" is a good place for a World War Z discussion, so I've copied your message to make it the first post in a separate thread over there, and will copy one or two other messages from here to get the ball rolling. ("JMS scripting Zombie movie?")

That way each thread will stay more focused on its own subject and people will know where to go for the latest news on each.

Regards,

Joe

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back